Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav

hi all, i'm after a satnav unit. whats a good buy? ive looked at the tomtom go, which does everthing i want. but theres the option to have a pda with tomtom 3 installed on it. i'm not sure what to do. any help most gratefull :D

The TomTom Go is great mate, to be honest I always had trouble with TomTom on my PDA (iPaq 5450) as it could never keep the signal but that was a common problem with that PDA.

I now just run TomTom Mobile on my Nokia phone, works loads better, no problems at all :)

Guess it depends on how much you want to spend.

I bought the Medion Navigator last time it was on offer at Aldi. Pda with sat nav. I think quite a few other members bought theirs on these deals too. Its the same unit Halfords offer, but Aldi's price is a hell of a lot cheaper

For the price, i guess you get what you pay for. It gets me from A to B without any hassle, so i'm happy with it. I used it a fair few times without any real problems.

If you were to be critical about it , first lock onto the satellite can take a while (depending on temperature), some roads are missing (guess you'll get that with most software), route planning can take you a while to do, and re-routing can sometimes take a while too if you miss an exit.

If you're looking for something that you're not gonna be running 24/7, I'd recommend having a look next time Aldi do this (usually about every 6 months i think, each time the spec gets better for less money). If you're wanting better quality, I'm sure those with tomtom etc will post their views soon

I got the iPac 4150 + Bluetooth Tom Tom 3 set up, and its fine. Like ricky_is200 said, you can add a speed camera database (its added as a POI - Point Of Interest). These obviously need to be kept up to date. There are many other POIs that can be added easily (red light camera DB, Mc Donalds etc. The list goes on!) :whistling:

It doesn't take long for a satellite log-on, and re-routes pretty much instantly if you miss a direction. :lol:

Plus you got the added bonus of a PDA.

Incidently, I may be selling my setup (seeing though I got Sat Nav built into the car now...) PM me if interested.

D. :lol:

You can also download the POI database for the Navman iCN 510, this will give you the speed camera database also. RRP is £499, could probably sort a deal out for you.

Garmin are launching a new product very similar to the TomTom Go in the next month or so, and it is sopposed to be very good, but no experience of it yet myself.

I have the TomTom Nav 3 Bluetooth with my IPaq 1945, and havent had any problems (well except one unrelated to the technology), infact, it was so good, one of my mates saw it and bought one..

Apparantly, he's taken into London without any issues, and i find it works fine, no issues with the speaker volume or anything..

I have the TomTom Go and think its great. Cant fault it at all. Never loses signal and touch screen is excellent. No wiring either. I think it says the windscreen mount acts as an ariel, but ive never lost signal without it. Correct me if Im wrong, but dont think the majority of pda's are touch screen???

Ive fitted mine into an original sat nav motorised unit so it can be tucked away nicely when parked, but easily removed to be recharched or to be used in another car.

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with the tomtom Go, up until I got my GS300 I was using an Ipaq PDA with TomTom software it worked great, but I only ever used the PDA for satnav so was a waste, also if you let the Battery run totally out on the PDA it loosing all the software and settings and you either have to reinstall it or have it backed up, TomTom Go wouldnt have this problem.

I have just bought a sat nav unit yesterday from Halfords, Its a mio midi walker with mio map ( navi maps) uk and ireland The software is Navigon (MobileNavigator 4) It has so many options its great, Altough I must admit I am trying to find the poi for speed cameras for it.. But it only cost £299 which I though was good, as its handheld as well or you can use it on your pushbike to see how fast you can go..lol

Craig