Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Offroad Capability

I am by no mean a serious off-roader. But I will need a 4x4 for the occasional muddy field. I know that the RX is not designed for it though it is marketed as a 4x4. I am not even sure if it has any form of differential lock?

What are your experiences with the RX300 and offroading? I need to form a view if this is the right vehicle for me.

Sorry I did reply, but got server error.

Quick response I wasn't impressed - no grip in mud and hill. Suspension lift was good though.

I suggest you ask local dealer for a test drive including off road, and then either judge by their reaction to your request or your own experience.

Not having driven one I can't comment personally, but I would have thought the permanent 4x4 drive and lack of diff locking make it all but useless, esp if your stuck trying to go up a hill in the ice.... IMHO of course. This is based on a review I read where it stated there was no diff control or ability to switch drive modes, so if that stands true still, then it is a bit of a waste of time for off-road.

You are right there are no diff locks. The Rx is like the Freelander in that it relies on the ABS system to lock any spinning wheels and so transfer more drive to the other wheels. Not an out and out off roader but capable. Tyres are designed for motorway and quietness so others would be needed for prolonged off road use.

Yes it uses VSC to control wheel spin.

The series I (1998-2003) also has a viscous coupling centre diff but it isn't really needed on 2001+ models (all UK models are 2001+) as VSC was then fitted and responds quicker.

Ground clearance is quite good, you just need to fit off-road tyres.

Not having driven one I can't comment personally, but I would have thought the permanent 4x4 drive and lack of diff locking make it all but useless, esp if your stuck trying to go up a hill in the ice.... IMHO of course.  This is based on a review I read where it stated there was no diff control or ability to switch drive modes, so if that stands true still, then it is a bit of a waste of time for off-road.

Hi JiberJaber

I used to live in Sutton Surrey, Benhill Wood Road to be exact is that near you? now in west midlands

Realspeed

there is a mix of replies here. need to filter....

I am not going to be doing lots of offroading, just the occasional muddy (but serious mud) field. Hence the question. Maybe as a couple of you suggested, with proper tyres, it could do the job!

• 2 weeks later...
there is a mix of replies here. need to filter....

I am not going to be doing lots of offroading, just the occasional muddy (but serious mud) field. Hence the question. Maybe as a couple of you suggested, with proper tyres, it could do the job!

My personal experience with a MY2001 (with VSD) is that I manage to climb my 40% garage slope with 10 cm of snow on snow tires. Actually I just did again today, it was sharp but did it (VSD working al the time). Also last week-end I drove around in the wood paths (10 cm of snow) and was amazed how well it was doing. Very smooth ride and torque response (in snow mode), the auto box torque converter is of a great help when doing smooth transitions in less grippy ground. So with appropriate tires it becomes a very decent soft roader but don't expect to climb big muddy slopes.

Hope it helps!