Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clarkson Resorts To Lies

flotsam

Clarkson does a Top Gear Magazine for new cars as well as a separate one for used cars.

In the new cars mag he gives the LS430 11/20 despite his colleague in the Times singling this car out above the Rolls/BMW-7/Merc-S competition as being particularly refined. The best score for any Lexus is 12/20. In comparison he gives the mini 16/20. All other mags give a higher rating than Clarkson.

In the used car mag he claims the LS400 MkIV can only achieve 0-60 in 8.3s instead of the official 6.9s. He gives the Mini the official figure of 7.4 and I know I've left a mini Cooper in my dust which was bugging my back-side and which then left me alone AND I WASN'T IN SPORT MODE! I've owned a VW Scirocco where the quoted time was 8.3s and I know my LS400 is quicker.

This isn't just Clarkson being too stupid as he was with not knowing that torque is the more important figure in 0-60 times.

This has now gone beyond a joke and Clarkson should definitely be sued for slander. It's alright saying that Lexuses don't break down and then the Hamster saying "I wish they would" but when Clarkson tells outright lies he's crossed a legal line and is committing an offence above and beyond being fat, stupid and incapable of driving a car.

Clarkson is just an opinionated journalist. It's like a film critic some say brilliant some say crap it's an opinion.

To say he has out & out lied about a car and dammed it. Then I am sure the manufacturer would have his nuts!

Clarkson just isn't a big LEXUS fan and if you are not committed to something then you won't praise it even if you know you are wrong it's just human nature.

As much as I would like to say because of his job he should NOT be biased. It just doesn't work that way.

You know he doesn't like LEXUS so don't take on board his views.

I personally think he will look fat and stupid getting in & out of his GT40 !

But like him I'm entitled to my opinion.

Horses for courses, Quentin has/had a Lexus and has given them rightful praise.

I can remember Clarkson praising Ford and slating Vauxhall because Ford gave him a Cossy FOC for a while.

As we all know, there is absolutely nothing to complain about with Lexus so there is obviously a hidden agenda in there somewhere.

clarkson id just a spoilt kid who will praise any car hes ever owned or any car he wants to get foc from the manufacturers.

i mean his tv show is full of sports cars over £50000, every now and them he puts a normal family car on to quieten his critics but essentially his show is designed for him and his friends to thrash around in fast cars.

his latest advice for buying a used car was to get a second hand aston martin db9 and get the updated handling pack fitted by aston martin at a total cost of about 80000.

he also rightly slated the alfa romeo about its quality reliabilty depreciation and handling then at the end of the piece all three of them said they would buy one !!!

i bet that if you took them to a dealer with their own cash they wouldnt part with a penny of it.

i think you have to take anything he says with a large pinch of salt.

ive always been one for look at the figures yourself go drive it and make your own mind up, who cares what he thinks about a car its not him thats gonna drive it everyday.

chill lads

clarkson obviously has biased views

a bit like us really

would we moan if he slagged the BMW off

at the end of the day he is an entertainer, i dont think anyone would buy a car soley on his recommendations

:)

chill lads

clarkson obviously has biased views

a bit like us really

would we moan if he slagged the BMW off

at the end of the day he is an entertainer, i dont think anyone would buy a car soley on his recommendations

:)

Yeah, that was my thinking, so he got the 0-60 wrong and didnt like the car, so what, he's a journalist, and as opinionated as the rest of us..

In all honesty, some of the posts above amount to more slander than simply his error in stats... :shutit:

incapable of driving a car

..Or riding a bike. He's funny at times but he doesn't just insult Lexus, he slags off bikes and whatever else he doesn't understand the appeal of.The trouble is he tends to take things too far and isn't really objective enough.

As well as being a :tsktsk:

His comments will have a profound effect on potential Lexus buyers. I like the bloke but I do think he's got it in for Lexus so he should shut up and accept the fact that thier dam fine cars.

Even people who perhaps don't like the look of cars know that their still an excellent engineered car. Enough said!

a journalist expresses an opinion that disagrees with your own!

SUE HIM!.

even better - STONE HIM!!

dont let such heresy be published

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Clarkson is an entertainer. His job is to make people "buy" things - such as newpapers, or to watch his TV shows.

now take a deep breath........

and let it out.

repeat a few times.

realise that its only a car - and it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

To be honest, if Clarkson slags off lexus, you've got to be pretty stupid to believe him in the first place!

Moreover, when people tell you that your car is slow because clarkson told them so, their face isn't smiley when you take them out in it!

He knows nothing. For *** sakes, any muppet would have an aston before the GT40! Speed isn't everything. That's why most of us drive IS's!

Clarkson is an entertainer ( and a good one) who has chosen as his sphere of expertise the world of motor cars. Trouble is we all think that he is an expert cause he's on the telly. WRONG!! he reads a script written by him and others designed to fill a half hour programme with light hearted quips, inuendoes and half baked jokes. The stig drives cars like a pro racing driver, celebrities come and go, and Clarkson and Co add the fill in bits.

This has nothing to do with reporting the facts or any kind of reality for "ordinary cars or ordinary motorists". Lets face it that programme would be so boring even we would not watch it. :shutit:

Clarkson does a  Top Gear  Magazine for new cars as well as a separate one for used cars.

<SNIP tirade against Clarkson>

10.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1...........and........relax.

Yes Clarkson is an opinionated ******* (insert expletive of your choice), but that's why we watch / read his stuff. Its why he gets paid what he does, as producers / editors know he is a great draw.

_38610575_alan_partridge_150bbc.jpg

Based on your logic of sueing him, IS200 owners should be demanding the execution Aln Partridge.

Mike Roberts

Clarkson does a  Top Gear  Magazine for new cars as well as a separate one for used cars.

<SNIP tirade against Clarkson>

10.9.8.7.6.5.4.3.2.1...........and........relax.

Yes Clarkson is an opinionated ******* (insert expletive of your choice), but that's why we watch / read his stuff. Its why he gets paid what he does, as producers / editors know he is a great draw.

_38610575_alan_partridge_150bbc.jpg

Based on your logic of sueing him, IS200 owners should be demanding the execution Aln Partridge.

Mike Roberts

Could have been much worse, Alan Partridge could have had an LS :driving:

I think it's more a case of Clarkson hating Japanese cars than it is of hating Lexus specifically - he publicly slated the 350Z despite his magazine awarding it coupe of the year! He loves the Honda S2000 then in the next breath slates Honda! The guy is a wowwypop! And I certainly wouldn't base my buying decisions on what he says!

I personally think he will look fat and stupid getting in & out of his GT40 !

Why does he have to be getting in or out of his GT40 to look fat or stupid?

On a serious note, I think he's the most entertaining geezer on telly talking about cars, who gives a crap if we agree with him or not?

Roger

Clarkson's copying a trick used in Autocar for the LS400. They measured the car's 0-60 time as being 6.7s but in the comparison table of all the specs with the BMW-7/Merc-S/Rolls/Jag, Autocar quoted 260bhp rather than 280bhp and 269lbft instead of 293lbft and yet they have these correct figures in the text. In other words they used the spec off the earlier model. In the table they even used the gear ratios from the earlier model which DIDN'T HAVE A FIVE SPEED BOX!

Clarkson's quoting an earlier model too. It's all made to be obvious suggesting there's some pressure being applied. But misquoting the stats is definitely slander and no longer just a tongue-in-cheek joke.

If Clarkson has to sell other cars, he should concentrate on their strong points not outright slander.

Hi Haven't been on the site for ages and was having a nose round this afternoon, blimey I didn't know so many people thoght Clakson was such a complete p*llock!

I thought the best one was when the German lass took the Jaguar S type Diesel keys off him and blew his lap time away!!!!

Now that proved he was a complete t*sser!!!!

I thought the best one was when the German lass took the Jaguar S type Diesel keys off him and blew his lap time away!!!!

nah - thats the second best.

The best bit was when he reviewed the new Elise.

he was "thrashing" it around the track, complaining about how Lotus had runied the driving experience, because he couldn't get the back end out.

Entire lap,complaining about "Its ruined" "Oh dear, understeer, understeer and even more understeer" and "what have they done to it!" etc etc.

then lotus sent one of their drivers around - some one who can actually drive, as opposed to spout nonsense in the media, and he absolutely threw the car around the track.

Showed very simply that Clarkson is a "media personality" - not a driver

some of the TOC guys went to Nurburing last year - and one of them (believe it was Ken who posts as "Sorted Avensis" on here) went around with her driving in an M5.

I believe his description was that she is a "**** nutter"