Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rob

hi all,

just wondering if anyone has had any experience using a P2P telephone prog called skype? Steve seem to remember u were talking about this a while ago???

just want some reviews before i go and buy a headset.

It's alright mate, only actually tried this out for the first time about 5 hours ago!

There was a little bit of lag across the connections, but it wasn't bandwidth intensive, only around 3KB/sec in either direction so should work alright on a 56k modem..

Tested it out with a Mac client and a iPaq client, sounded fine, make sure you turn on the echo cancellation or it will do your head in!

Might be worth testing it on your pc first to make sure you know what you're expecting before you invest?

Voice over IP software Daz, basically you can make phone calls to other people via the computer and it just uses your speakers and a microphone - it's free so no charges, you just both need to be onthe internet

http://www.skype.com/

My username is

You can even make calls to normal numbers but you have to pay for that.....

Unfortunately I do mate, not home computers though, years behind with that stuff, but only tried this out today - 1 minute after posting my username it started ringing and it was the kid from work who was just showing his mrs how it worked as i came online - its well funny!!

We could have a LOC Skype conference call on chat night so we can all rip the ***** out of each other on a conf call :)

How's about a Skpye chat one night then fella's - get all our usernames together and take the *****!

Sounds like a good idea...... I'll download this when I get home from work ........ we could have a Skype Nyte :P

ok got my self a headset ( hello extension please? :lol: ) and all up and running now my user name is robjfraser.

ok just tried it to a normal phone and its fine, sound is a bit dull, but otherwise perfectly clear, no hiss etc .

a money saving tip: change the registered address to switzerland then u dont pay the 15% VAT :D