Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aargh

IS300KK

Hello folks

Wondering if anyone could offer any advice on this situation:

Just before Christmas, a teenager shunted my car from behind at red lights. Swapped insurance details etc, thought it should be straightforward. My insurer wanted two quotes for repairs, which I got, and I sent off the whole lot to my insurer and waited for the ok to get repairs done. Then waited some more. I phoned my insurer, who said that they had contacted the other person's insurer (Norwich Union), and were waiting for them to decide whether they want to inspect my car before giving the ok to proceed. My insurer has sent two letters, asking for an urgent response, the most recent on Feb 17th, but still no word from Norwich Union.

Maybe I'm a little naive, but I can't see how they can weazel out of paying for the damage - I was hit from behind whilst stationary at a red light - but I think they're just hoping that if they leave it long enough I'll sort it out myself. Ordinarily, I probably would cough up, except that some **** at work has dented my wheel arch and driven off leaving no note, of course, leaving me with a big bill to pay for that. Also, this week, someone scratched my door whilst the car was on the driveway, so another bill there.

My insurer insists that I should wait for the go-ahead from Norwich Union before booking the repair, but it seems that could take ages. Any suggestions? I'm getting quite exasperated, and beginning to think the car's just not worth the hassle (and that insurers just take your money and do sweet ** when you need them)

All the best

Amanda

I hope you are just on a run of bad luck! Otherwise I'd just give up and sell the car - it becomes VERY expensive to keep having to pay out on all these repairs that are clearly not your fault! :(

Regarding the insurance company - what can I say? I have nothing but contempt for them; the way they calculate premiums seems like plucking numbers from a hat rather then logic! :(

Quote you happy hey?

Good Luck!

if you are full/comp insurance, you can have the work done anytime and your insurance company should clam the cost from the other insurance company, you might have to pay £100 or so depending on your insurance company, then you clam it back off the other insurance company :duh: :hehe: ps i would have all the other work done at the same time :ph34r: ask the body shop how much to sort

Thanks for you replies.

Yes, I have fully comp, protected NCB, with no claims in the fifteen-plus years that I've been driving - that's why this is so annoying!! My insurer (Admiral) says that I have to cough up £200 at the time of repair, which they will recover from the other driver. I'm hoping to get all the jobs done at once, because my nearest dealer is over 40 miles away and it's really difficult for me to get time off work to take it in repeatedly. The hassle of getting it fixed is almost worse than the fact that it's been damaged! The car looks really shoddy at the moment, what with damaged bumper, wheel arch and door, I'm almost embarrassed to be seen in it - as a female driver I just know what people are thinking when they see it!

All the best

Amanda

I've never heard of the other insurance company wanting to inspect the car, normally its just your own that looks at it to make sure the estimate is reasonable.

There should be absolutely no problem with you getting your car fixed asap, and then its their job to get the money back from the other insurance company. Sounds like you might need to switch insurance companies too

Hi again

Yes, I'm using the legal protection service to get the car fixed - if I went through my policy without using this aspect I'd lose my £200 excess. I just don't understand how the cuplrit's insurance company can possibly justify not paying out when it's such a cut-and-dried situation as regards liability.

As you can imagine, I'm getting really frustrated - three separate incidents where other people have damaged my car in the seven months I've owned it. I'm so careful around other people's property, why can't they show my things the same respect? No-one's handed me this car on a plate, I've worked hard for years to buy it and other people trash it without a second thought. Sorry, rant over.

Cheers

Amanda

I had the same happen to me last August.luckily i am insured with Lexus insurance.They picked the car up repaired it, delivered it back to me all within two weeks,however i had to pay £175 excess which i am still waiting for but this has been put in the hands of their solicitors to claim from the third party insurers.

The reason my insurers gave me for not receiving my excess was that the third party insurers have a dispute with their client.See if your insurers will authorise the repair ,at least you will have you car back to normal in the meantime while you wait for your excess to come back to you