Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Car Wash Stuff....

Jiberjaber

Just got an email through from Sainsburrys for a new car wash thingy... looks like it's from the the makrs of Flash floor cleaner....

More details on here

www.flashcarwash.co.uk

The new Flash All-In-One Carwash is a cleaning device with a difference. Just connect it to a hose and spray it onto your car. It includes Auto-dry soap and filter technology for spot-free drying and a showroom finish in minutes. 

There's no bucket to refill, no need for hand-drying with a chamois leather, and no need for waxing either. You get a better result, saving time, effort and money. 

If your car isn't spot-free after using Flash All-In-One Carwash, we'll give you your money back. Available now in the cleaning aisle, why not put it to the test? 

Introductory offer: £19.99

Price after 23/03/05: £24.99

Apparently it's endorsed by WhatCAR.

Through a group buy with another forum the Porter Cable 7424 Kit with extra counterweight and

6" backing plate complete with 110v transformer extension cable (and 1 each of the Sonus Green and Blue Polishing pads was £225 including VAT and carriage. The only way to get them cheaper seems to be to import them yourself from the US where it will be about £210 broken down by:

Porter Cable 7424 plus hook and eye backing plate (to easily change pads) and 3 pads - $179 Postage is about $40. Total = £120 (at exchange rate of 1.85 dollars per £) You may then get stung for import duty but you may be lucky, this is about £25.

You then need to go to www.screwfix.com to get a 110volt set up.

110volt plug (19947)

240volt to 110volt Transformer (16158)

110volt 14 meter extension lead (16691) (This is important as you should run the extension from the transformer not run a standard 240v extension to the transformer asyou may melt your 240v cable. So plug the transformer straight into the wall and then use 110v extension cables from this.)

Total Cost = £65

So the total cost of importing the Porter Cable including pads is about £210.

:lol:

Guys, my car looked great when done with the Porter Cable, really did look ace, it hasn't been done for months now and really looks worse for wear, this is where the PC is supposed to excel, repairing cars that are in a really bad way, mind is covered in swirls even though it's never been near an automatic car wash!

Was going to try it out today but the rain has kicked in again - arse!

It is a quality piece of kit and will last a long time, to be totally honest though I've seen cars on here done with the Orbital Rotary Buffers from Halfords and they look just as good, but I don't know how good they would be at restoring a knackered car, Duncan's for example looked awesome and there wasn't a swirl in sight!

I guess a lot of the time the swirls can just be marks in the wax, so it's possible once I've given mine the go over with the DACP it will look fine - I hope so anyway, not sure what I'm going to do with the alloys though, they need repolishing :o

I'll give you my opinion when the cars been done - one thing the PC excels at is the number of different pads that are avaailable for different purposes, and the US guys really know how to use these.....

most swirls come when washing the car. When you wipe you pick up the dirt and then scratch it all over the paint work.

You should rinse off the car first to remove some of the dirt and use a deep pile cloth/mitt so the dirt is drawn up into the pile rather than staying on the surface.

Hmm the flash car wash does sound a bit too good to be true and quite expensive

My car hasnt been waxed for over 6 months now!! Still its not looking to bad, when the weather gets better, i'll be claying the car, and putting on couple of coats of swirl mark filler (that cost me an arm!!) and then plenty of coats of carbuana wax :)

I've got a cordless polisher from agros for £35 i think, used it on the meguiers stuff, worked a treat, but I dont really have much need for it now as, the carbuana wax is better applied by hand.

I've got one of the Halfords buffers...

all i'll say is, you get what you pay for - s'alright, but you need to go round again afterwards, but does take the hard work out of it...

In all honesty though, i only use it on the Lex when im doing a quick wash and polish - if i want a proper job, i still do it by hand ;)

hhmmm so are these worth it compared to a £30 halfords buffer?

'Spose at the end of the day they do the same thing :whistling:

Tony.

the power of the PC is its ability to "restore" paint.

combination of the right pad and product can work wonders on old or bad condition paintwork - seen loads of stories and pics of cars where heqavily swirled, oxidised and generally crap looking paint is brought back to life.

I believe rotary buffers require more "technique". because they only rotate, it is possible for them swirl your paint, and if you dont keep the pad flat, you can "burn" the paint

horses for courses I think.

when you see those fabulous looking cars on websites etc - chances are the owner has used a PC (or more likely in the states - taken it to a professional detailer.

I like the PC - and will be getting one sometime in the future, closer to summer.

if enough people are interested - I will approach our detailing partners for a group buy.

the "best" deal is probably the Sonus DAS Polisher kit - the PC polisher and a load of different pads.

thats a $179.95 - or £93.77. I would try to get a reduction in this cost, and good deal on shipping.

would still need the transformer materials Ricky mentioned.

and there would be the risk of duties and VAT (although - so far people have been lucky with stuff from autopia)

That's a bargain Matt, think I paid $149 + shipping just for the PC and then more for the pads and stuff....

Definitely cost me more than that

Hang one, found the email...

I paid $179.95 for the PC 7424 and the Ultimate Polisher Kit, basically this was the kit plus three pads, an orange cutting pad, a white polishing pad, and a grey finishing pad, I also got a velcro backing pad, then I paid for one each of this in addition, in total it cost me 211.80 for the above and then shipping was $56.75, so the total was $268.55

Very happy indeed with the service I got from the guys who run the Lexus Care Care Store :)

That's a bargain Matt, think I paid $149 + shipping just for the PC and then more for the pads and stuff....

Definitely cost me more than that

Hang one, found the email...

I paid $179.95 for the PC 7424 and the Ultimate Polisher Kit, basically this was the kit plus three pads, an orange cutting pad, a white polishing pad, and a grey finishing pad, then I paid for one each of this in addition, in total it cost me 211.80 for the above and then shipping was $56.75, so the total was $268.55

Very happy indeed with the service I got from the guys who run the Lexus Care Care Store :)

I deal with the two owners of autopia a fair bit - they are a very competent and professional setup B)

they are always trying to improve their range and prices.

The Sonus range is quite new for them - its an excellent quality brand at a really good price point. Obviously this has allowed them to add to their PC kit and keep the price down.

quick questions mate - did you pay VAt or import duty?

what are you doing about a transformer etc?

quick questions mate - did you pay VAt or import duty?

what are you doing about a transformer etc?

No to the first question, must have sneaked past customs, as for the transformer, bought one from screwfix, I'll try and dig the details out.