Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

"alloys"

MARKY46

Hi folks.

Just a wee quick question.

What would any of you out there recommend?? The alloys on my 2000 W IS are absolutely knackered and I am thinking of doing one of 2 things. The first one is to get the alloys on the car refurbished form a third party company. No ideas where as yet but if anyone out there knows of a good place in or around the Glasgow area, I am all ears!!! The second one is to get a set of refurbished ones from Lexus. I have been quoted £85.00 each for them from Lexus Glasgow. This excludes VAT,balancing and new valves.

What does eveyone think???

I think thats bloody day light robery. Lexus know the wheels are crap and are still trying to take that sort of money off you.

My word!!!, a wheel refurb in my local area is £25 per wheel but a little distance away from glasgow!!

Lexus really need to address this issue. A csustomer came into my shop today and we got talking about cars and I was asked what I drive. I poudly said Lexus and his reply although positive in general was.....yeah nice cars, but heard the wheels corrode really badly.

Says alot when people who don't drive the cars know the wheels are crap!!

Hi folks.

What would any of you out there recommend?? The alloys on my 2000 W IS are absolutely knackered and I am thinking of doing one of 2 things. The first one is to get the alloys on the car refurbished form a third party company. No ideas where as yet but if anyone out there knows of a good place in or around the Glasgow area, I am all ears!!! The second one is to get a set of refurbished ones from Lexus. I have been quoted £85.00 each for them from Lexus Glasgow. This excludes VAT,balancing and new valves.

Hi Mark

I had the same dilema, do you spend nearly £300 on a refurb (in the process you loose the chrome finish on your wheels) or do you buy brand new non genuine alloys?

I waited and found a set of 4 brand new wheels and brand new tyres on eBay which I quickly snapped up for £500, and guess what I did with my old wheels and tyres? I put them back on eBay and sold them for £333!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

So all the brand new wheels and tyres ended up costing me was £167!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out eBay there are a few sets on right now. :mat:

Good luck mate. :winky:

There is a company that is recommended by the club i was looking at it a couple of days ago. not as expensive as what your dealer quoted you. i will try to find the link, but in the mean time look at the forum web site its on there somewhere.

I would say the price Glasgow have quoted you is a joke. They dont even do it themselves, they use a third party. I thought about £45 a corner was the going rate.

Ask them where they are sending it to get the work done and just approach them yourself. They actually told me who the third party was but Ive forgotten (sorry!).

I had mine done because they scuffed 3 of my alloys when getting tyres changed. You should be aware that you will lose the chrome finish (i think). Well i did anyway. Dont get me wrong though, still a very good job.

Hi folks.

What is the problem with these wheels ?? I do understand that the alloys on the earlier models never had the paint and lacquer finished all around the back and the inside off the wheel, but I have the "re-furbed" ones on my '51 plate and they still have part bubbling and they are also peeling in small places. I was actually going to take them to Lexus and let the do the refurbishments in a couple of months time, but reading this thread I'm not sure if it's the right thing to do. I haven't ever come across this kind of peeling and bubbling on an alloy before.

Has anyone here had their stock alloys refurbed in anthracite? Just wondering if there are any pictures anywhere, as it's something I've been considering doing. The alloys on my IS200 were refurbed when I bought the car, but the finish isn't brilliant and the (Saab) garage I got it from kerbed one quite badly in between me buying the car and collecting it (I didn't notice till the day after I got it home and when I complained was told that they couldn't be sure I hadn't just done it myself...)

Any opinions on whether it would look good? I'm a big fan on anthracite-look wheels, but can't decide whether it would suit a Lexus or not :duh: