Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another New Is250 Thread

As people who have spent any length of time on LOC, and / or owned an IS - there are several very common "faults" that have affected a lot of owners.

These owners have been very vocal with Lexus, especially the dealers - some of these faults have seen cars going back to the dealers time and time again.

The launch of the new IS is Lexus's first real opportunity to address these problems.

How many of the following will we see fixed in the new model?

- gear box issues. The "second gear clunk" is the classic example.

- alloy wheel corrosion. How many wheels have been returned to Lexus under warranty?

- CD ERR3 problems.

- front wheels voracious appetite for rubber. My record was loosing 2 front tyres in 7k miles.

- weak paint, easy to chip

what do you reckon guys?

BTW - anyone reading this thinking of an IS - dont let this put you off. Whilst these problems are the "common" ones - they are by no means everyday - lots of owners do not have any of these issues at all.

Many of the owners who did suffer from one or more of these often had them remedied under warranty by the dealer too.

So - dont let this put you off B).

Its not meant to be a list of things that are "wrong" with the IS - I hope it will be a measurement of how well Lexus have reacted to the problems with the first generation of the car.

Can I add that theres quite a few of us with bust sat-nav units? Which amazingly (or stupidly on lexus's part) CANNOT be fixed! :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

I hope the new one doesn't succumb to this. I dont have much faith in their audio/satnav systems, as i'm now starting to get the ERR3 message occasionally. Sorry, :offtopic: I know, but is there a time limit for getting these repaired?

I hope they add lumbar support to the seats. Fix the fog lights corroding. Reduce the doors width to give extra room for the people. My CD player got changed three times under the five year warranty ERR3. The alloys got changed three times as well. Tyre wear not too bad at 22,000 but tends to scrub on the inside so I didn't get all I could from them. I'm very interested in the diesel, hope they do an automatic version, should work fine at 175bhp. :driving:

but all the models have corroding wheels, even the latest wheels on the current IS still corrode.

The only way I can see them fixing it is if Lexus GB source their own wheels from a European manufacturer and put them on the vehicles as they come into the country, like they do with the GS sport.

I hope they add lumbar support to the seats. Fix the fog lights corroding. Reduce the doors width to give extra room for the people. My CD player got changed three times under the five year warranty ERR3. The alloys got changed three times as well.

lumbar support would be good - nice point.

As I said in my post - at least the CD and wheels are being changed under warranty.

You would hope that this sort of warranty work would make Lexus improve thse areas in the new generation

They won't fix the paint and probably not the alloys.

hmmmm.

Considering they are going to change the alloys, I would have thought they will look into improving them.....

I am sure I have read on here a few times about whole planes full of wheels being returned to Lexus under warranty. Surely this will make them do something about the corrosion.

How hard would it be for Lexus to fit wheels in the UK?

It would be nice to see stereo control on the sterring wheel this time round.

another excellent idea - especially with all the road safety issues.

My renault (the car I had before the IS) had these - and I missed them all the time I owned an IS. :crybaby:

Well I have a fairly new IS, alloys are going on the inside edges and the paint scratches if looked at in the wrong way!...

Anyone got the paint fixed under warentee or am I on a looser there? It seems to scratch even if I just chuck water at it!

I agree with Colin - deffo that they will not fix the alloys and the paint and will always been known for it!

It may be that the shape of the new IS doesn't catch as many stones as the old model but the same paint is used throughout the Lexus range - all water based and too soft.

I'd hope for some improvements like:

- all LED technology lighting + Standard HID headlights (like on Audi A8 and the like, no bulbs allowed ;) )

- A decent ignition key or good quality keyless entry (not flimsy like Renault's)

- Boot lid hinges that stay outside the boot

RX-Men-8

Well I have a fairly new IS, alloys are going on the inside edges and the paint scratches if looked at in the wrong way!...

Anyone got the paint fixed under warentee or am I on a looser there?  It seems to scratch even if I just chuck water at it!

LOL!!! :D :D :D

Never look at your car... And make sure it dont get wet!

Anyone got the paint fixed under warentee or am I on a looser there?  It seems to scratch even if I just chuck water at it!

I got the bonnet and wings resprayed under warranty.

I got the bonnet and wings resprayed under warranty.
me too.

Better fitting front bumper ( sport ), callipers that don't stick, better finish on the wheels, remove jerkiness when cold, bit more storage, corroding rear discs ( drum bit ). Controls on the wheel, more head room, retracting mirrors and closing windows when alarm set. Modern key card.

Better PDI ;)

Now if they meet all those I may still have a lexus after tomorrow.