Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Guys, I have been a member of the forum for 2 years and I now have my first problem with my 1995 Mk 2 LS 400.

I have just been on holiday for 3 weeks with the car locked on the drive, went out to the car this cold morning(UK) and although the lights worked OK and didn't dim when turning the key, no life whatsoever, probably the power is not reaching the starter, starter motor is not turning the engine, no clicking etc.

I called out the recovery service and he thought that by leaving the ignition on for 20 mins and a booster Battery connected with resetting door key immobilser should be OK, no luck.

After about an hour of this no luck at all.

We have tried a booster, tried disconncting the Battery, but it seems as though the immobilser may not be dis-connecting.

I have also tried starting in both Park and Neutral, moving the gear lever in case of a dodgy connection.

A friend thought it may be an ECU module problem which can only be done by Lexus Leicester, can anyone find me a way out of this major problem.?

The Battery is now dis-connected with a slow charge on the Battery whilst I wait for a miracle.

TIA Gus

Read somewhere that condensation can freeze causing a short - when it thaws the short goes.

On a previous car when we had a similar cold weather / damp / thick oil / flat Battery problem we park the car with the bonnet up in the sun all day - with the Battery charged and engine "sundried" it started first time ...

Read somewhere that condensation can freeze causing a short - when it thaws the short goes.

On a previous car when we had a similar cold weather / damp / thick oil / flat battery problem we park the car with the bonnet up in the sun all day - with the battery charged and engine "sundried" it started first time ...

sounds like the starter solanoid has gone. or the fuse to the solonoid or the relay for the soloniod.

have your checked these ?

the park sensor sounds like you have checked.

the crude way of checking the starter soloind is to short out & by- pass the solonoid, though you have to be very carfull in what you are doing as large ammounts of current will flow ! sparks will fly.

a spanner across the terminals.

Thanks for the input so far guys, I have had a word with my mechanic friend and he feels that Bonathons answer maybe near the mark.

He felt that if my key unlocked the central locking that the immobilser may not be the problem so much as say the solinoid.

When turning the key there are two very slight clicks at the same time, one on the lower left side of the grill, which may be a small relay box and the other on the larger plastic lidded box next to the Battery.

With hindsight I should have got someone to turn the engine over every few days.

It's disappointing for me because it is the best car I have ever owned.

Many Thanks so far Guys.

Thanks for the input so far guys, I have had a word with my mechanic friend and he feels that Bonathons answer maybe near the mark.

He felt that if my key unlocked the central locking that the immobilser may not be the problem so much as say the solinoid.

When turning the key there are two very slight clicks at the same time, one on the lower left side of the grill, which may be a small relay box and the other on the larger plastic lidded box next to the battery.

With hindsight I should have got someone to turn the engine over every few days.

It's disappointing for me because it is the best car I have ever owned.

Many Thanks so far Guys.

hi

i have the circuit diagram of the starter circuit if that helps.

having looked at it, there are several fuses & interlocks & relays on the system.

i can fax or scan it & email it too you if that helps.

Robin...

Well, the recovery guys came and took my LS to Lexus Leicester. After a while I was told it was the Battery, "OK fit a new batttery".

"Mr Geary, it also seems there is another problem, the car won't start by the key we think you need a new ignition switch"

So it is not 100% decided yet as I have to speak to them in the morning, there is a sting in the tail as there is about a weeks wait for an LS ignition switch if that is whats required.

I had all the stories about "It's the first time we've come across this etc"

Just my Luck, and a big bill to follow :crying:

I did spend 5 hours waiting and got looked after with coffee, a £5 meal voucher for the next door Greens Health club and a lift home, hopefully they'll give me some wheels if they cannot find this switch.

The car is getting me back for leaving it out in the snow and ice for 3 weeks while I went to Thailand.

Lexus Leicester have told me they cannot get a new ignition switch for a week, so I am carless :angry:

Is there anywhere I could get one quicker? I am not sure about if a new key is needed or whatever, probably not, just the switch.

Lexus Leicester have told me they cannot get a new ignition switch for a week, so I am carless :angry:

Is there anywhere I could get one quicker? I am not sure about if a new key is needed or whatever, probably not, just the switch.

try

'Swiftsalvage@aol.com'

'Sales1@midkentbreakers.co.uk'

Well, after 8 days off the road I am back up and running, total cost inc vat £693.It took Lexus awhile to resolve the problem, 2 main parts required were an ignition switch and an anti theft ECU comp security or whatever that is.

Lexus said that at some stage the car had had a panel removed and when put back the wiring became trapped and eventually caused the car to fail.

I just have to go along with the story, many thanks to Robin for his help.

Just my luck, had to pay out another £165 for road tax today.

Rgds

Well, after 8 days off the road I am back up and running, total cost inc vat £693.It took Lexus awhile to resolve the problem, 2 main parts required were an ignition switch and an anti theft ECU comp security or whatever that is.

Lexus said that at some stage the car had had a panel removed and when put back the wiring became trapped and eventually caused the car to fail.

I just have to go along with the story, many thanks to Robin for his help.

Just my luck, had to pay out another £165 for road tax today.

Rgds

Ouch !!!