Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official New 2006 Is Topic

As you say, the IS200 is not a friendly car for company car tax and therfore most of the cars on the road are indeed privately owned, which to be honest for many dealers is a blessing in disguise - it can be VERY frustrating to offer someone the full treatment, demonstrations, test drives, quotes, hours of your time for them to go to and buy from a leasing company..... ask the leasing company for a test drive?  Rocky ground here I know, and ground without an easy solution, so lets save it for another day - just our side of the fence?

As the new model is going to be company car tax friendly I would like to ask The Mole a question. Do you know what Lexus are going to do to provide demonstrators for company car drivers like myself whose cars are supplied by the major leasing companies?

I do not want to waste anyone's time but my current Audi was ordered without a decent test drive because neither Audi or the leasing company would provide a 24 hour demonstrator. I had no idea which dealer would end up with order until after the car was ordered.

Do the leasing companies buy directly from the manufacturer or via the major dealers?

With my high mileage I will never take another car without a decent 24 hour test drive. The Audi's ride is driving me up the wall!!

My next company car can be ordered at the beginning of April so I will be considering the IS220d against the BMW 320d.

Thanks

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for asking this - you are a rare breed.....

If you contact Lexus directly (number is on the back of every brochure) and ask to speak to someone from the corporate department, they will put you in touch with someone that can offer a demonstration of suitable length.

As for performance - Lexus see it perhaps further down the list of priorities than say BMW. Lexus' core brand values are smoothness, quietness and refinement. And Lexus have that in spades.

If 0-60 is a big thing for you, best bet is to wait until you can drive one and see how it goes. Paper figures only tell half the story. Really need your bum in the seat to assess a car properly in my humble opinion.

Car is still yet to be homologated in the UK. Hasn't had the government tests yet, so emissions, insurance and fuel economy are yet to be established.

By the way, who's to say Lexus won't bring out a less expensive 1.8 litre 150bhp version... :whistling:

I think it has already been said, but i'll add my 2ps worth.

Lexus are effectively owner cleansing here, the car is IMHO is very well priced (even tho i wont be able to afford one). So as long as the car is of equivilent or superior quailty to the competition, swallow the extra costs or get yourself an inferior 2litre german car. I really hope that they dont make anything smaller then 220d.

I got my dream car (the Lex duh) at the age of 20, and have lost around 7-8k in less than 2 years.. The new IS is nice, but its not worth me becoming penniless for.. Once i've qualified in my profession and brought a house, i'll probably be looking at fully loaded Veilside Fortune 03 Supra and a sensible deisel for daily driving.

This post has got totally boring  :blink:

As we cannot change the price / spec, shall we just look forward to what I'm sure will be a splendid car?

Just in case any of you didn't know, the sport version of the diesel will have a lower final drive ratio to give sportier acceleration at the expense of slightly higher emissions - relevant to you co-car drivers. :driving:

Yes, it has become a bit boring.

So come on Mole, give us the low down on high performance versions of the new IS.

Any truth in the rumours that IS350 is coming to these shores after all, and sooner than expected? And what about the the IS460/ 500?

You may not know the answer, but surely the need for such models must have been debated internally?

Mr Mole, thank you for your replies and candour.

I would rather Lexus didn't go below 6 cylinders for their petrol engines. However, if business dictates that you have to chase market share lower down, I hope Lexus have the good sense to restrict demand to protect residuals. or are you attempting to outsell the Ford Mondeo as per the 3 series?

Mr Mole, thank you for your replies and candour.

I would rather Lexus didn't go below 6 cylinders for their petrol engines. However, if business dictates that you have to chase market share lower down, I hope Lexus have the good sense to restrict demand to protect residuals. or are you attempting to outsell the Ford Mondeo as per the 3 series?

Yes, it has become a bit boring.

So come on Mole, give us the low down on high performance versions of the new IS.

Any truth in the rumours that IS350 is coming to these shores after all, and sooner than expected? And what about the the IS460/ 500?

You may not know the answer, but surely the need for such models must have been debated internally?

Yep, I'd love to see a high performance version too.

No plans yet for the UK though.

Unfortunately, in the UK, everyone gets very enthusiastic for big engined versions and when the manufacturer gives in and launches one, nobody buys it.

To make a model commercially viable, you need to sell thousands of units over a few years to make it worth while. It's no good just selling 500 to die hard enthusiasts.

Lets just say they did, how much would an IS350 cost? £32k? £35K? I've no idea, but you can bet that if there is an argument against the price of the 2.5 lite model, there sure would be one against a 3.5....?

How many people would pay the same for an IS350, if they could have a GS300 for the same or a little more?

As the IS350 is basically a US model, I doubt there will be a manual model, and lets face it, that's what the brits want isn't it? - paddle shifts just don't do it do they?

What I think people want to see is a 400bhp IS500 or similar - an M3 rival.

Problem is though, this sort of car is getting too far away from what Lexus is about.

BMW produce more of a performance based car where Lexus produce a car biased more towards luxury.

I have seen pictures of such a beast, covered in padding being tested, but I have a feeling that this might be a touring car mule or similar?

Only time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath. :unsure:

"What I think people want to see is a 400bhp IS500 or similar - an M3 rival.

Problem is though, this sort of car is getting too far away from what Lexus is about."

Mole,

Absolutely right that people want a 400 bhp IS500.

Absolutely wrong that this sort of car is getting away from what Lexus is about.

Handling and performance have become an important part of the equation in the luxury car category. BMW, Audi and Mercedes-Benz certainly recognise this truth and Lexus must too if it is to achieve its growth aspirations. If you don't give the customer what he wants, he goes elsewhere. Audis used to be just like Lexuses, but they realised where the market was going and adapted. The RS models have a halo effect that lends real flair and appeal to the rest of the range.

While Lexus is clearly about effortless progression, almost like wafting along in a 1930s Rolls-Royce, the brand does seem to be extending its appeal by embracing dynamic purity and more sporty performance. Early US reports seem to indicate that the new IS is much more focused, much more precise and more able to hurled into corners without losing its composure. And it seems to provide improved handling without sacrificing refinement. There's even a sports version of the new IS.

The question is to what extent can a luxury car also be a sports car? Jaguar markets itself as the luxury sports car, and fails miserably in my estimation, but Mercedes-Benz has moved away from being a luxury barge that wallows through bends into something that can really hustle through the corners when called to do so. What's truly great about both the lowly C-Class and the uber-S-Class is the way in which they combine a serene, cocooned environment with hard-edged performance.

The secret is that they both have excellent suspensions. They prove that you can provide a decent turn of speed through the twisty bits without having a bone-jarring ride. Of course, neither car is as focused as a BMW M3, but they still provide thrills aplenty.

I'm not sure I want Lexus to build an M5 or RS4. But I would like a V-8 in the IS with 400 bhp, so that, when I need to get from one side of Switzerland to the other without using motoways, I can do so effortlessly. And when I get to wherever I'm going I don't want to feel like I've been pummelled by the hardness of the suspension.

( :ph34r: I hope this post livens up the thread. I've got my flame suit on!)

Yep, I'd love to see a high performance version too.

No plans yet for the UK though. Unfortunately, in the UK, everyone gets very enthusiastic for big engined versions and when the manufacturer gives in and launches one, nobody buys it.

Yes, I can see that, but I for one am ready to upgrade to a 350. If motor manufacturers sold std versions at American prices (not rip off UK prices) then you would have considerably more takers for the 'performance' versions. Just have a look at the near enough prices on IS300.net and Clublexus.com to see the difference......

To make a model commercially viable, you need to sell thousands of units over a few years to make it worth while. It's no good just selling 500 to die hard enthusiasts.

'To make a model commercially viable'

you just send the Jananese IS 350 RIGHT HAND DRIVE that is manufactured in RIGHT HAND DRIVE. Ok not sure about the homologation etc... but I'm sure they could bring it in.

Lets just say they did, how much would an IS350 cost? £32k? £35K? I've no idea, but you can bet that if there is an argument against the price of the 2.5 lite model, there sure would be one against a 3.5....?

Understand that it must have a 'premium' price but provided it was a sufficient distance from the 'Blue Propellor' for a comparable Spec/Performance, then I for one would be interested. I don't want a 'Blue Propellor' on my drive and love my Lex and would like the new IS. Am looking for a significant increase in performance next time - not from 9.5 secs to 8.4 secs (7.3 secs 0- 60 would be good). I want to give Lexus my money - I do not want a Blue Propellor on my drive .....

How many people would pay the same for an IS350, if they could have a GS300 for the same or a little more?

I probably would. I notice that the GS with 245bhp and not much heavier can manage 0-60 of 7.3 seconds. If you dig deep enough on the Lexus web site you can find a 0-60 time of 8.4 secs for the new IS. Is this for the manual or the auto? Peter Lyon's review in Auto Express gives a time of 7.3 secs. I don't need a car as big as the GS but would like an IS with a 0-60 of around 7.0 secs.

As the IS350 is basically a US model, I doubt there will be a manual model, and lets face it, that's what the brits want isn't it? - paddle shifts just don't do it do they?

Don't forget the Japanese RIGHT HAND DRIVE release of the IS 350, and at around 5.8 seconds I couldn't care less about auto or manual. Not sure if I have managed to post picture of Jap IS350 in the right place in this post, but it should show uo somewhere - just to prove that it is manufactured in RHD.

What I think people want to see is a 400bhp IS500 or similar - an M3 rival.

Problem is though, this sort of car is getting too far away from what Lexus is about.

Not bothered about a 400bhp model, just an IS350 at American prices.... here in the UK, next spring....?

Well said, Leeds Lad,

I violent agree with all of your comments. I just don't want a blue propeller on my drive either.

As a soon-to-be-former BMW driver - the exact customer Lexus wants - I would have ordered an automatic IS350 without hesitation had one been available.

But I still want that IS500 with V8 very much.

To be honest, I don't think there would be much point to slamming a 5 litre V8 under the bonnet, unless the whole car is tuned to being an M3 beating performance machine. Otherwise it would just be an IS that was quicker in a straight line, but didn't do much else but drink fuel :blink:

If effortless cruising is all you require, I'm pretty sure that the IS350 will more than suffice :driving:

With regard to paying American prices, we don't get that with anything else, so why should Lexus be the only one to sell things ridiculously cheaply, as long as its cheaper than the competition, I see no reason to be complaining :)

Lets just see what happens then.... but I'm not holding my breath.

On the brighter side of the news though, there are plans for a coupe and a convertible..... and the possibility of a mini RX - Kind of an IX250 ish sort of thing to replace the sportcross. Thant should cheer you all up :driving:

No reason why a superior car should be cheaper though. :whistling:

I've just seen the details/specs of new IS on UK lexus website. This includes IS220D which I'm interested in. As far as I can tell there is not much difefrence between SE and SE-L (rain sensing wipres, parking aid, HID lights, rear arm rest etc) so I would be interested in the price difference. The 220D Sport seems same spec as SE-L with added 18" wheels, sports seats and trim) so again it would be useful to know approx pricing. All 3 models appear to include Multimedia Pack (sat nav etc) which is great if true.

So key question for me is pricing so i can work out tax implication before I order (versus Jag X-Type 2.2 Sports Premium) which I'm currently looking at.

Thanks,

PS someone asked about auto on diesel and its definatly not available

Just re-checked the website and turns out the Multimedia pack is 'optional' - no doubt best part of £3k... Its standard on the Jag X-Type so I may have to rethink once i have seen the pricing

Haf

I think you're mad to even think about buying a Jaguar X-Type. It's blatant rehash of a Ford Mondeo, that doesn't handle as well. Build quality is awful. Driving expereince is even worse. It feels cheap. There's no rear leg-room. But most important, it's a generation behind the IS.

:mat:

Compare the IS to a C-Class or a 3-Series, but purleeeasse not to a :tsktsk: Jag! It's blatant mis-use of the site!

:whistling:

Along with that answers to the questions...or at least some of them?

Insurance groups?

Security?

MPG figures?

if it has better alloy wheels that wont end up being changed more often than the tyres?

If it has paint that will stay on the car?

Does it have HID lamps?

And how long before ppl start grey imprting the 350!

All I heard from a dealer was the quoted MPG for IS 250 was around 30mpg

That there are NO plans for a diesel auto trasmission at the moment,

that there are no TRD or speccing groups available yet (it is said to be powerful enough for most peeps to not requires drastic engine modifications)

I've also noticed there are not enough differences between the SE-L and the SE to warrant the increase of 25k (SE) to 27.5K (SE-L)difference.

IS250/SE/SE-L

- Auto trasmission costs around 1K

- Multimedia pack 2.5k

- mettalic paint 0.5k (except black)

One thing I'd like to know is the specs on teh IS250 sport

- Escaine (what the world is escaine, and is that mainly for the trimming but not the seats?)

- Is there a better slip/differential for mroe performance,

- or is the onyl changes mainly cosmetic - i.e 18 alloys, harder ride

I think that the difference between the basic and SE did not really attract me very much.

At first glance the differences are wheels and seats(powered). I'm not too fussed about power seats because I'm the only driver so once they are set........

The difference between the SE and SE-L did seem sort of part justified to me.

I called Lexus UK to ask them if the IS350 would come to the UK and they said that the response to it had been so positive that they had been forced to re-evaluate their plans to sell it in Europe. They said it now looks like it will come, but probably not until late 2006/ early 2007.

The demand for a manual gearbox has been amazing too. It wouldn't surprise me if Lexus developed one for the IS350. Whatever, I still want that IS500 with a V-8.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links