Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official New 2006 Is Topic

Have just confirmed my spec for the my new IS250. Have gone for the SE-L with matelic paint, sunroof, Sat Nav Pack.

Was disappointed that the SE-L did not come with the 18" alloys, only comes on the sport out next year, so dealer made a call and you can upgrade to 18" as an option on the SE-L at the cost of £1500, a bit on the pricey side, but what the hell is only money! Total car cost £34.5K.

I can not wait of for 19th November 2005 to pick it up.

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have just confirmed my spec for the my new IS250. Have gone for the SE-L with matelic paint, sunroof, Sat Nav Pack.

Was disappointed that the SE-L did not come with the 18" alloys, only comes on the sport out next year, so dealer made a call and you can upgrade to 18" as an option on the SE-L at the cost of £1500, a bit on the pricey side, but what the hell is only money! Total car cost £34.5K.

Hey, I am genuinely pleased for you, but no test drive or anything and you have committed yourself already?

Admit money is only money - but maybe your have more than sense as they say?

You can go and buy a BMW 530D SE Saloon AUTO with loads of toys for the same price, The new IS Diesel doesn't even have the Auto option! I have driven a 5 series and it really is a class winner.

Pardon my ignorance but that £34.5K converts to about 61.2K USD.  I figure that car would cost between 35K and 40K USD in the US.  I'm curious as to what adds so much to the price in the UK.

Yes, all of us poor mugs stuck in the UK would like to know the answer to that one!! It's why we know our country as "rip-off Britain"!! We typically pay same in UK £ as you pay in dollars for most things, and nobody can give us a good justification for it. Remember we also pay crazy prices for the fuel to fill the cars which is mostly goverment tax, yet only a miniscule proportion of that goes into improvements of our roads or transport infrastructure. This country sucks in so many ways :angry:

Wow.....£34.5K for an IS250, you could probably buy an GS300SE for £36K, like the saying goes, each to their own....

I assume the 34.5k includes the £1500 for 18" alloys? That makes the Sport even better value - you could have had that + metallic, sun-roof, media, and (std 18"" wheels) for a touch over 30K. Ok, you get Escaine (suede) trim instead of leather and you have to wait til April....

In anycase, bet you can't wait :)

BTW - which exterior colour did you go for?

I assume the 34.5k includes the £1500 for 18" alloys? That makes the Sport even better value - you could have had that + metallic, sun-roof, media, and (std 18"" wheels) for a touch over 30K. Ok, you get Escaine (suede) trim instead of leather and you have to wait til April....

34.5k did include the 1.5k for 18" wheels and auto box, went for the full black leather. Could not wait till next april, should have already replaced my car 3 months ago

PS went for the new silver

34.5k did include the 1.5k for 18" wheels and auto box, went for the full black leather. Could not wait till next april, should have already replaced my car 3 months ago

Sorry if this has been asked already on this thread, but I can't be bothered reading through 14 pages to find the answer :D ...

Does anyone know what fills the screen space on cars ordered without Sat-Nav? Is it the usual Japanese thing of creating a big hole with a door on it?

Sorry if this has been asked already on this thread, but I can't be bothered reading through 14 pages to find the answer :D ...

Does anyone know what fills the screen space on cars ordered without Sat-Nav?  Is it the usual Japanese thing of creating a big hole with a door on it?

See second pic in 3rd row here : http://www2.autospies.com/article/index.asp?articleId=5110

Basically looks cr*p without the sat nav

Having browsed the forum for a while, I thought I'd pop my head over the top of the trench a say hi.

I'm The Mole, I work at a Lexus Dealer and enjoy the forum very much

Always intersting to see the customer's point of view.....

:ph34r:

Hello Mole,

Thank you for your excellent post. I agree with everything you say. One of my reasons for deciding to purchase a Lexus was the treatment I received when I casually strolled into Lexus' Park Lane dealership in London. I walked in just before 6pm to get a brochure on the new IS. All the salesmen were busy but I only had to wait 20 seconds before a guy comes out of nowhere and starts asking if he can help. We actually have a conversation rather than my being treated as an ignorant punter. The guy couldn't have been less like a typical salesman. Anyway, I got the info I needed and he gives me his card. He was the dealer principal. When I left it was well after 6pm. Top marks for coming out of his office to serve a customer. If the head of the dealership is doing this, no wonder all the other guys are so good. So, I'm already a satisfied Lexus customer and I haven't even taken delivery even of my new IS250 yet.

Mole, if you have any influence on model specs, then i would ask you to pass back three pieces of feedback:

1. Please make the 18" alloys STANDARD on the IS250 SE-L.

2. Please offer other colour options: you need a lighter, gunmetal grey, a dark green and mid-blue.

3. Please offer a high-performance version of the IS; either make the IS350 available in the UK with both manual and automatic transmissions or better still produce an IS460/ 500 with a V-8. You can have my deposit today.

As a self-confessed car nut, it is quite apparent to me that the IS is totally over-engineered for the the class - just like Mercs used to be - long may Lexus models continue to be so. The IS is a mini-GS for people who want a more compact car around town. It packs so many goodies, it deserves to succeed for this reason alone.

I, like others on the forum, have taken a punt and ordered the car without test-driving it. Am I mad with more money than sense? No. Everything I've heard about Lexus and articles I've read by certain key journalists whose opinions I trust convince me that this will be a sound financial decision and a great driving experience.

:driving: :zee:

Hi Tailpipe,

18" wheels where reserved for the sport spec because:

a) to help differentiate this trim level

B) they will give a ride too hard for the SE-L spec, but okay for a "sport" model

IS350 may well come to the UK....?

However, please bear in mind that whenever a manufacturer launches a new model, the public are very enthusiastic about large engined versions - it was the same with Lexus - the public screamed for the IS300, then when it was launced, bought the IS200 instead. The market for larger engined versions is suprisingly small. Most people would go for a GS300 instead - market fact I'm affraid.

There is a whisper or two about an M3 beater though.....

As for colours, due to very borinig manufacturing, and marketing reasons, there are only so many colours you can offer on one model, I guess you can't please all the people all the time?

Thanks for the good service comment - we really do try, and if the customer has an open mind and is receptive to the fact that car dealerships are not the same, we can all have an easier life.

Unfortunately, some customers walk into a Lexus centre all angry and frustrated, with a big guard up, already on the back foot before we can even say hello because they have just been to a "traditional" German showroom.

Advice to any customer out there - the world is a much nicer place if we are pleasant and friendly. Just picture how you like to deal with people in your job - we have feelings, wives/huisbands, families and lives outside of work too.

Well, given the likelihood of these prices and spec I have now dropped my interest in buying an IS250. I'm going to speak to a Honda dealer about a 55 plate Accord 2.4 Executive tomorrow. I know its FWD and 4 cylinders but I'm not prepared to pay Lexus how much they want just for the privilege of RWD and a V6. I know it's not a rival as such to the Lexus, but for £24K (before I negotiate discount) it's got everything I want and after Lexus, Honda is the best Japanese manufacturer:

190BHP 2.4 engine

DVD Sat Nav (I don't need or want to be able to play the latest blockbuster!)

Electric Sunroof (Lexus, the IS used to have this as standard)

Full Leather

Dual zone climate control

Lowered sports suspension

Xenon headlamps

Vehicle Stability Control

Premium 8 speaker ICE

And 4 cupholders (Important as my Z only has 1 :lol: )

"I'm not prepared to pay Lexus how much they want just for the privilege of RWD and a V6"

With respect, you are paying for more than just RWD and a V6 engine. It's all the other things that made your old IS200 the "best car I ever owned" that make the Lexus worth the money, plus the quality, refinement, design, build, stronger residual value, customer service.....

But you can't please all the people all the time, good luck with the Honda though, still a good quality car.

With respect, you are paying for more than just RWD and a V6 engine. It's all the other things that made your old IS200 the "best car I ever owned" that make the Lexus worth the money, plus the quality, refinement, design, build, stronger residual value, customer service.....

But you can't please all the people all the time, good luck with the Honda though, still a good quality car.

Sorry about this but I have to comment, Theirs is no way the IS250 is worth the type of money that has quoted regardless of trim or spec, LEXUS are only number 1 in JD Power because of 'purchase justification' as for being the 'best car I ever owned' this depends on how you define 'Best' if it's Poor build Quaility, Warranty Repairs, continious vists to the dealer to fix the same defect time and time again, if this means Best to you, it doesn't to me which why buying a IS200 wasn't one of the best decision I have ever made. Apart from all defects/repairs it has been a joy to own but sadly I won't be buying another becasue of what I have suffered owning the one I've got.

writer stands back from the keyboard an awaits fall out.

I don't want to fuel what could easily become a heated argument, but I've been thinking about this for a while and I've actually changed my mind. Lexus has done everything exactly right. The best way to have a small sports saloon, is with a 2.5 V6. A smaller engine just wouldn't do it justice. They aren't trying to please everybody, just provide those who can afford it with the best car they can, and make sure that it remains exclusive to those who buy it.

The fact that your talking about the Honda Accord in the same sentence as the Lexus, means that the car is not what you're looking for. It makes me cringe everytime someone talks about the Accord, Mazda 6, etc. in comparison to the IS. Toyota has the Avensis to compete with these cars, Lexus is completely different.

The fact that the IS is now specced and priced at this level, it pushes it into direct competition of its main rivals, the BMW 3 series, Merc C-class and Audi A4, and it quite severely undercuts all of them :)

With all this hype tho, lets just hope Lexus has made the new IS as a mighty fine driver's car :winky:

Parthiban, if you re-read what I said ... "I know it's not a rival as such to the Lexus". So I DO recognise it is not "in the same class" (whatever that means these days).

The Mole, as for the stronger residual value - 53% on current IS after 3 years, 50% on Accord - so not much in that.

My view is that I now see the Accord where the IS200 was 6 years ago - a car that was extremely good value for money undercutting German offerrings by some margin giving luxuries that are normally "extras" as standard. FFS , Lexus don't even give a sunroof on the IS as standard now!

The fact that the IS is now specced and priced at this level, it pushes it into direct competition of its main rivals, the BMW 3 series, Merc C-class and Audi A4, and it quite severely undercuts all of them  :)

With all this hype tho, lets just hope Lexus has made the new IS as a mighty fine driver's car  :winky:

I don't want to burst your bubble but the IS is not a competitor for any of the products you mention, they don't offer enough body styles or powertrains, the new IS will be offered in one body style, with two choices of powertrain, not what I would call competition for the products you mention

Parthiban, if you re-read what I said ... "I know it's not a rival as such to the Lexus".  So I DO recognise it is not "in the same class" (whatever that means these days). 

FFS , Lexus don't even give a sunroof on the IS as standard now!

Sorry mate, must've missed that part :blush:

And I agree, not sure why the sunroof is an option, and still don't fully understand why the SE-L costs so much more than the SE

I don't want to burst your bubble but the IS is not a competitor for any of the products you mention, they don't offer enough body styles or powertrains, the new IS will be offered in one body style, with two choices of powertrain, not what I would call competition for the products you mention

I agree with what you say about the powertrains, although I'm hoping that Lexus come to their senses and bring the IS350 out over here too. :)

If that's done, I think the range will be complete. I don't think they're trying to attract everyone with 1.6s and 1.8s, which will also help the residuals of the larger engines.

However the bodystyle issue is slightly different. The new 3 series is going to be saloon, estate and coupe/convertible. The C-class is saloon and estate. The A4 is saloon, estate and convertible. We all now that these kind of 'lifestyle estates' can't actually load anything, and are practically pointless, so is irrelevant whether Lexus makes one or not. We also now that Lexus has an IS coupe/convertible on the way. :whistling:

I think that puts them right in the mix :winky:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links