Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official New 2006 Is Topic

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also can anyone tell me if the UK cars will be Bi-Xenon? And what are Bi-Xenon headlamps?  Are they not just the same as HID headlamps?

I imagine the Bi-Xenons will be an option.

Xenon is the same as HID - usually only the dipped beam though as HID is too "slow" for main beam.

Bi-Xenon means both dip & main beams are Xenon, although one lamp is used for both and a mechanism in the reflector changes the beam pattern to get around the warm-up problem.

That's a good spot mate, don't think there's any affiliation - I'm guessing here either Lexus are acknowledging the tuning market out in the US and taking advantage by adding an additional revenue strream through their dealers for these parts or I'd guess the more likely option is that HKS have offered a large cash sum to have Lexus list their exhaust as an official option!

Will be interesting to see when the cars are out whether the front and rear bumpers are the same size this time to account for the USA's more stringent regulations, if they're the same then it would mean that exhaust systems and bumper lips would fit both US and European cars :)

Either way, seems a good idea to have a good external manufacturers parts available, could end up being like AMG and Mercedes (hopefully that brings along a nice IS55 HKS :P )

I think the bumpers have to be the same this time around, can't see how it would make financial sense to have different parts in different countries

Which level of spec do the Xenons come in at? Should be the SE, I think anything higher would be a mistake

THe US site says that all upgrade packages have Bi-Xenon headlights. If you compare the US packages to the UK there is a strong correlation.

The US Premium package is the same as the SE and the US Luxury Package is the same as the SE-L. I can't see why the US would get Bi-Xenon headlights and the UK only get HID headlights.

I also don't understand why in the US they can have certain standalone factory fitted options such as the much discussed 18" alloys or just the Sat Nav and Bluetooth (i.e. without the fancy Mark Levinson stereo).

I also don't understand why in the US they can have certain standalone factory fitted options such as the much discussed 18" alloys or just the Sat Nav and Bluetooth (i.e. without the fancy Mark Levinson stereo).

The US market has always had a less basic spec with many options. In the UK Lexus position themselves as offering high spec as standard without the confusion of lots of optional extras.

I was thinking that we still do not really know the power output for the UK version of the IS250. The european site quotes it as 208 bhp while the UK site claims 204bhp. The Japanese version gets 215ps (around 214bhp) and 260Nm of torque. I know that the higher output for the Japanese version can be explained by the better fuel used (100RON in most places I have seen). But why the difference between mainland Europe and the UK?

I agree with anyone who says the uk website is :tsktsk: and maybe it is the fact it is updated so slowly that we still do not know the real figures.

can I ask a genuine question?

1. Would a typical IS200 owner decide not to buy one, and instead buy a more expensive German car that they know is an inferior just to make a point?

2. And did the typical IS200 owner buy their car instead of a German brand just because it was less expensive?

Blimey this topic is going on a bit! in answer to the moles questions - as one who is currently looking to change to a Diesel and a 330CD M Sport Coupe to be precise.....

1. Don't know about more expensive I have seen some very good deals out there on the 330, and with no confirmation that the 220D will have an auto option, then Lexus kind of made the choice for me.

2. Yes I did, given the choice again (and I really do love my IS) I would buy a BMW simply due to the fact they retain their value more. I have lost an arm & a leg in the last 18 months.

Can I also add that in terms of performance the 330 is a bit of a beast!

Just got a reply to some questions I asked Lexus GB via the website:-

18" rims are not an option, yet, but may be available in January when the Sport is released.  Option cost would then be £1500.  They will not be fitted as standard to the SE-L.

Although this won't make much difference, if this is true, I find it very frustrating that the alloys that the car has been marketed with since its unveiling (and also the ones that look great) are not available on the car at launch :angry:

The launch of the GS was much simpler, why is Lexus messing about with the IS so much ;)

I am hopeful that UK dealers will soon be able to answer our questions with more authority once they have attended the launch/test drives in Monaco. Lexus Reading is due to send some of its people on the 22 Oct.

It seems that wheels are an area where Lexus could learn something from the Germans. At least they offer variations in style, and they don't always cost a pack to specify, unless you want the ultra-low profile versions. :whistling:

Many apologies if this has been submitted previous but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

There is a new website where you can get info on the IS and request a brochure and/or test drive of the new IS, www.lexusis.co.uk

Our friends across the pond have a similar site, and predictably it is a lot better, www.thenewis.com

It seems we all agree that the IS250 S-EL should come with 18" wheels as standard. If anyone from Lexus UK or Lexus Europe is reading this, it would be great if you could respond to this request.

Sorry to disagree with you, but not everyone wants 18" wheels. If you want sporty 18" then buy the 250 Sport, the SE-L has 17" wheels to add to the luxury and ride comfort of that model.

As for the folk moaning about the spacesaver spare wheel, what do you expect when the front and rear tyres are different widths? I supose you could carry 2 spare wheels, or cheaper still just buy the base model 250.

Oldun

It seems we all agree that the IS250 S-EL should come with 18" wheels as standard. If anyone from Lexus UK or Lexus Europe is reading this, it would be great if you could respond to this request.

Sorry to disagree with you, but not everyone wants 18" wheels. If you want sporty 18" then buy the 250 Sport, the SE-L has 17" wheels to add to the luxury and ride comfort of that model.

As for the folk moaning about the spacesaver spare wheel, what do you expect when the front and rear tyres are different widths? I supose you could carry 2 spare wheels, or cheaper still just buy the base model 250.

Oldun

Wheel size has nothing to do with ride confort, that's handled by the suspension and the side wall of the tyre and tyre compond, there are many reasons why a manfacture uses a spacer saver wheel/tyre there might have underfloor package issues with say the muffler system, they need to have bigger mufflers to achive the legal drive noise requirement or they may want to either meet or be better than the competition with boot space, the main reason is to save money.

Space saver:-

Not only are the tyres different sizes fron to back, they also have directional tyres, which means you have a 1 in 4 chance of puncturing the correct wheel. If Lexus put a full size wheel in there and it had the wrong tyre for the punctured wheel, some owners wouldn't be in any hurry to change it back as it looks okay, and would happily drive at 70mph plus with uneaven tyres / treads on one axle, and that is simply dangerous. At least with the space saver, everyone knows you can only drive at a much safer 50mph - That is the reason, and the only reason.

Don't even go there with the cost saving bit, having been lucky enough to drive the new car and compare it directly, back to back with the competition - trust me - the Lexus is by far the superior product, and I mean by far. If they were trying to save money, they wouldn't have finished the underside of the bonnet with the same quality of paint/laquer finish as the rest of the car - all the flanges have neat and smooth returns on them, the sealer is neat and tidy, and all the welds are smooth and continuous. The BMW for example has just got a rienforcement grid with uneven sharp edges tack and spot welded in place, and covered in a dash undercoat - the difference in the quality of finish, and the attention to detail is stunning. And that is just one of many, many examples of why this car is so good, and so suprior to the competition - stuff that you cannot compare just by playing top trumps with facts and figures.

For those who have ordered a new IS250 - it will blow you away, you are getting a fantastic car that is so far in advance of the current model, it is as if there is a model in between that we didn't get to see. Enjoy!

Hello there

I'm in the US at the moment (driving the pacific coast road, highly recommended by the way) and I noticed something. The new IS250 and 350 are being presented almost as different cars in entirely separate tv adverts. The 250 is being pushed as a luxurious family option, whereas the 350 is being shown as a high-power (quote "fastest-in-class") sports car. According to the advert, the 350 has 308bhp, and 0-60 of 5.3 seconds, for around $35000.

Virtually every IS on the road here is a 300, and there are thousands of Lexi around - complete reversal of the BMW:Lexus ratio we see in the UK. Lots of new GS around, especially in black (looks very good in black).

Sorry if this is off-topic / repeat of someone else's post, just my two-pence worth.

Amanda

Hello there

I'm in the US at the moment (driving the pacific coast road, highly recommended by the way) and I noticed something. The new IS250 and 350 are being presented almost as different cars in entirely separate tv adverts. The 250 is being pushed as a luxurious family option, whereas the 350 is being shown as a high-power (quote "fastest-in-class") sports car. According to the advert, the 350 has 308bhp, and 0-60 of 5.3 seconds, for around $35000.

Virtually every IS on the road here is a 300, and there are thousands of Lexi around - complete reversal of the BMW:Lexus ratio we see in the UK. Lots of new GS around, especially in black (looks very good in black).

Sorry if this is off-topic / repeat of someone else's post, just my two-pence worth.

Amanda

$35000 !!! thats just under £20000 :whistling:

i think there would be a lot more lexus on the road over here if the price was the same :angry:

Hello there

Amanda

$35000 !!! thats just under £20000 :whistling:

i think there would be a lot more lexus on the road over here if the price was the same :angry:

So who gets the extra money from the EU (OK British) sales?

RIP OFF BRITAIN or as the yanks like to call us "Treasure Island"

Wheel size has nothing to do with ride confort, that's handled by the suspension and the side wall of the tyre

Exactly - if you keep the same rolling radius (and the manufacturer will), then bigger wheel=smaller sidewall=firmer ride.

Dont complain too much about the UK prices..........we in Ireland have to pay 30% VRT after the VAT is added!!!!!!!!.that means €40,000 + for the present IS200

The goverment here really know how to rip you off.

Rgds

Nick