Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official New 2006 Is Topic

Collect my IS250 on Saturday at 10.00am. It is a SE, Mesa Red, Black Leather, Auto with Sat Nav. Have been Lexus customer for the last 11 years and this will be my 5th lexus (2 GS300 and 2 IS200 Sports).

Test drove the IS250 last week and can confirm it is a totally different car than my current IS 200 Sport and can understand the £3/4000 price increase.

My only slight moan is that the memory function on the seats which was listed as inclusive on the original indicative pricing literature is only on the SEL package but its no big deal.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Hi

I also live in your area, as you are a lexus owner of some years who would you recommend in our area for good service etc. out of Manchester, Stockport, or Bolton, or someone else perhaps?

I've never had a Lexus before, and I bought my new one on the internet.

so any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i actually placed my order ( not just a deposit ) on the 7th september for silver is250 with multi media package ,black leather

i have a compliment slip which says "you are guaranteed a november car" :)

i had a phone call saying it would be 15 december :angry:

now been informed sometime in january :tsktsk:

i will now have to watch all the lucky people :driving: theirs until i finally get mine

i actually placed my order ( not just a deposit ) on the 7th september for silver is250 with multi media package ,black leather

i have a compliment slip which says "you are guaranteed a november car" :)

i had a phone call saying it would be 15 december  :angry:

now been informed sometime in january  :tsktsk:

i will now have to watch all the lucky people  :driving:  theirs until i finally get mine

Dunno what Mr Mole would have to say about this, but is it now not worth waiting (!!!!!!) until 1st March 2006 for the '06 reg - afterall it's your cash, their mistake and your car ought to be worth a few hundred squids more when you decide to sell it on? I know the idea is you get into the car asap... :whistling: I suppose any compensation based on their "guarantee" is not worth the paper..... :question:

Unless of course it's a company car....or a present..... :zee:

As there are 3 "value" changes through the year, it really isn't worth waiting for. Jan is a very busy month for us.

Also, keep in mind that your current car will de-value at least as much, if not more than the difference a 55 or 06 plate will make in 3 years if you decide to wait.

Just a thought.

Busy day for Moley tomorrow..... :driving:

Collect my IS250 on Saturday at 10.00am. It is a SE, Mesa Red, Black Leather, Auto with Sat Nav. Have been Lexus customer for the last 11 years and this will be my 5th lexus (2 GS300 and 2 IS200 Sports).

Test drove the IS250 last week and can confirm it is a totally different car than my current IS 200 Sport and can understand the £3/4000 price increase.

My only slight moan is that the memory function on the seats which was listed as inclusive on the original indicative pricing literature is only on the SEL package but its no big deal.

Looking forward to Saturday.

Hi

I also live in your area, as you are a lexus owner of some years who would you recommend in our area for good service etc. out of Manchester, Stockport, or Bolton, or someone else perhaps?

I've never had a Lexus before, and I bought my new one on the internet.

so any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks

:

Hi Bocabar

Sorry to you and all other Lexus fans on this website re my fouled up efforts to reply to your enquiry regarding a good Lexus Dealer for servicing in the greater Manchester area.

I have used Lexus Stockport for a number of years now and have nothing but praise for them.

Both Sales and Service personnel are first rate and I have no hesitation in recommending them.

Hope this is of help to you.

To Koshime

Your car looks great, pictures on the other topic make it look good, may you enjoy it a little more each day!

However, not wishing in any way to rain on your parade (or anyone else's who have one already or are buying a new IS), I think that Lexus, to a certain degree, has lost the plot.

The thing that makes the IS200 a superb car is that it is different to anything in its class and represents good value for money. The one thing that it isn't is an 'also-ran'. It just does not compete with Beamer 3's and Merc C's because it is different, no matter how hard the motoring press or anyone else attempt to draw comparisons. In many ways it is a 'unique' vehicle at an acceptable value-for-money price level (£20-22k new)and with a clientele that seeks the individuality of a prestige marque with a car that stands apart by appearance, power unit, build quality and standard kit.

The IS250 by comparison does not have and is unlikely to attain the same carefully contrived status as the 200. It does not fit in the same market niche. It is considerably higher speced. It has a bigger motor. The appearance, while undoubtedly very attractive, and of course somewhat a question of personal taste, is not as stylish as the 200 because it has a number of design features that are similar to other cars, including the body shape concept. It is loaded with nice touches, examples of practical and elegant design, standard equipment that other comparable makes don't have and the build quality and finish that are a given with Lexus. The key issue is now that the new IS is considerably more expensive than the 200. It has probably been taken out of the range of many who would or have bought an IS200. It enters the market as an élite voiture like the GS, not as the IS200 was presented - as a good quailty alternative to a number of 'popular' makes at £21,000 OTR.

I am still curious as to why Lexus saw the need to drop the IS200 in favour of the IS250, why the engine change from a solid, straight-6 to an ally V6. Also why a 4-cyl diesel with no auto option.

It makes you wonder if Lexus actually know who their customers are?

In many ways it is a 'unique' vehicle at an acceptable value-for-money price level (£20-22k new)and with a clientele that seeks the individuality of a prestige marque with a car that stands apart by appearance, power unit, build quality and standard kit. 

I don't think Lexus have lost the plot. If they are looking to sell vehicles to people that want a "prestige marque" then surely this means they are to compete against the German Holy Trinity (BMW, Mercedes and Audi)?

The new IS still retains many of the qualities that you mention above, it stands apart in its appearance, it has an improved power unit (something that was very much wanted if you look at what people disliked about the outgoing model). The build quality is unsurpassed and it has a high level of standard kit.

It is considerably higher speced

I absolutely think that the Lexus pricing is spot on and I will tell you why. When I first saw the indicitive pricing I thought it was too high but if you do a like for like comparison, which I have done with Audi A4, BMW 325 and C230, all three cars are WAY more expensive than the Lexus. And not just hundreds but thousands of pounds more. The Mercedes options/price list is 32 pages long! By putting forward an alternative brand to the German cars but at a cheaper price, and coupled with their diesel car and reputation for reliabilty Lexus will have a great deal of success. And by the comments received in the press and that I have heard from a lot of people, I do believe that this car will be very successful.

Lexus are claiming to be a luxury brand and I think it would have been wrong to have the car with any less spec.

I never saw the IS as an alternative to a number of "popular" makes but have always directly compared it with the prestige German brands. And I know a lot of other people that do the same. It has been said before that perhaps Lexus are shifting their focus to a slighly different market segment, and perhaps those people that once saw the car as affordable are being priced out. But you can bet that a company as big as Lexus/Toyota would have done very careful examination of the market before setting pricing etc.

I do agree with the comment about a lack of a diesel auto option.

I, for one, am won over. I had an IS200 Sport and will be trading it in for an SE-L come March 2006. I think there will be plenty of other current Lexus owners that will stay with the brand.

I am still curious as to why Lexus saw the need to drop the IS200 in favour of the IS250, why the engine change from a solid, straight-6 to an ally V6.  Also why a 4-cyl diesel with no auto option.

Couple of reasons I think, firstly the V6, this option is for improved interior cabin space using cab forward design 'incease interior space at the expense of the underbonnet space and front end crash requirements,

Now the 4 cylinder diesel, well Lexus have shot themselves in foot big time, one of TMC failings is that it can't make a good diesel engines for cars, they did have the chance of taking a V6 diesel from another manufacture but 'BOTTLED IT' now the same engine they were going to take is now widely regarded as best in class. sadly it's not in a Lexus. An I4 diesel in this class of car is a little sad when you look at what else you can buy for the same money or less and the having no Auto option is further proof that TMC can't make diesel engines for cars.

Oh, boy.......

Cool it Moley, cool it....... deep breaths, deep breaths......

V6 is smoother, gives more cabin space, allows a lower hood line and gives more oppertunity to optimise weight distribution.

Alloy because it is lighter and easier to manage vibration.

Saracen, you are pretty much on the money as far as market positioning is concerned with the new IS250.

However.....

Firstly, there is no diesel auto option (yet) because if you look at the whole Toyota range globally, apart from a USA 28 tonne truck, they do not have a diesel auto with as much torque as the new diesel engine.

Without getting too technical, a gearbox breaks through two main factors, high torque and power pulse fatigue. Yes they could bolt on the auto box from the petrol, but it wouldn't last long enough. A simple strengthening job wouldn't do the trick either for even more boring reasons (pm me if you want an engineering explanation or care enough...) Basically they would need to design, develope and test a completely new gearbox from scratch at a cost you couldn't imagine.

At the moment, the IS only really sells in the UK throughout Europe, so initially potential sales figures are calculated on the UK market, and given the diesel projected volume, and then the predicted auto content of that based on rivals auto / manual diesel sales, we are only talking a few thousand units, and that simply doesn't justify the investment.

When the new IS starts to grow in volume elsewhere in Europe, and the diesel takes off in earnest, then that is the time to look at it, and that is what they will do.

Like it or not, that is the reason, take it or leave it, it won't change.

Now, as for them dropping a clanger on the 4 cylinder diesel, all I can say is wait until you drive it.

Take a look at all the negative and sceptical comments earlier in this thread - everyone had a mostly negative view on the new IS and its prcing, yet as soon as people saw and drove it, it got raves.

It will be the same with the diesel. Having driven it for three days, trust me it is an absolute gem. Who cares how many cylinders it has if it is so smooth and quiet that you can hardly hear it, and certainly cannot 'feel' it?

Knocks even the best 6 cyl units for six. TRUST ME.

Wait to drive it and then judge for yourself, but don't spit out the soup without tasting if first....

Sorry to get all defensive, but it really is exceptional, and it hurts a little when people doubt what they haven't tried.

Finally, as for loosing the plot, in a world where most car manufacturers are loosing billions per year, GM are almost bankrupt, Ford would be if it wasn't for the F-150 pickup, Chrysler had to merge with Merc due to the A Class re-engineering disaster and now they are in trouble, Toyota are the only car company in profit at the moment and are woth circa 85 Billion..... don't ever doubt that they know what they are doing.

well Moley - I'm pretty much blown away by all teh tiniest deisgn details and jsut general overal build and looks. Car growing on both myself and the missus, and likewise anaesthetict department in Hammersmith hosp! Great thumbs up to lexus for the ideal car lounge to travel and live within in style on a day to day basis! You guys have my endorsement!

To Koshime

Your car looks great, pictures on the other topic make it look good, may you enjoy it a little more each day!

However, not wishing in any way to rain on your parade (or anyone else's who have one already or are buying a new IS), I think that Lexus, to a certain degree, has lost the plot.

The thing that makes the IS200 a superb car is that it is different to anything in its class and represents good value for money.  The one thing that it isn't is an 'also-ran'.  It just does not compete with Beamer 3's and Merc C's because it is different, no matter how hard the motoring press or anyone else attempt to draw comparisons.  In many ways it is a 'unique' vehicle at an acceptable value-for-money price level (£20-22k new)and with a clientele that seeks the individuality of a prestige marque with a car that stands apart by appearance, power unit, build quality and standard kit. 

The IS250 by comparison does not have and is unlikely to attain the same carefully contrived status as the 200.  It does not fit in the same market niche.  It is considerably higher speced.  It has a bigger motor.  The appearance, while undoubtedly very attractive, and of course somewhat a question of personal taste, is not as stylish as the 200 because it has a number of design features that are similar to other cars, including the body shape concept.  It is loaded with nice touches, examples of practical and elegant design, standard equipment that other comparable makes don't have and the build quality and finish that are a given with Lexus.  The key issue is now that the new IS is considerably more expensive than the 200.  It has probably been taken out of the range of many who would or have bought an IS200.  It enters the market as an élite voiture like the GS, not as the IS200 was presented - as a good quailty alternative to a number of 'popular' makes at £21,000 OTR.

I am still curious as to why Lexus saw the need to drop the IS200 in favour of the IS250, why the engine change from a solid, straight-6 to an ally V6.  Also why a 4-cyl diesel with no auto option.

:o

I'm thinking of changing my 2004 Rx300 for the IS250 AWD (in the US) did a test drive in the IS350... to much power for my needs, but this car is just FANTASTIC and will sell far more then the car it is replacing, which never was a real Lexus, compared to the rest of the brand.

The diesel is already attracting many new clients in Italy.

Thanks for the attention and comments given to the thread above concerning my earlier critique.

I make just two points as a reply.

1. IS200 SE auto metallic = £22k, IS250 (as close a spec as possible for comparison) = £30k No matter how good the new vehicle is, how preety it is, how well it drives, even the diesel version as yet untried; I, and probably thousands of other people, can't afford a new IS250 but can afford an IS200. Lexus have probably walked away from my business and that of many others. I want to own a car like the IS200, it is the best car I have ever had. (I'm on my 3rd since 1999). That's what I meant by losing the plot.

2. If Lexus and TMC are so market-aware how come we got the IS300SC (I owned a bad one for a short while and lost a shedfull of cash) and the IS200SC with no Auto option? And how many of these vehicles do you see on the road?

And here endeth the 2nd lesson.

Lexus IS250 Official (high-res) gallery

Enjoy here ;-)

I know, good post ;-) Unfortunately the price is too high in my country and I found the back seats too cramped. For example a BMW 320d is much roomier in the back, costs less and goes better but less exclusive and I think not as reliable as this. Anyway, a very good car. Looks great.

P.S.: Did you hear that there is a secret way in the new IS to turn off the traction control? Because I have read it in a Hungarian article :-) I think later it will be availabe in english if it haven't been already written somewhere.

hope my english isnt' very bad ;-)

<<<Adams>>>

Thanks for the attention and comments given to the thread above concerning my earlier critique.

1.  IS200 SE auto metallic  = £22k,  IS250 (as close a spec as possible for comparison) = £30k  No matter how good the new vehicle is, how preety it is, how well it drives, even the diesel version as yet untried; I, and probably thousands of other people, can't afford a new IS250 but can afford an IS200.  Lexus have probably walked away from my business and that of many others.  I want to own a car like the IS200, it is the best car I have ever had. (I'm on my 3rd since 1999).  That's what I meant by losing the plot. 

2.  If Lexus and TMC are so market-aware how come we got the IS300SC (I owned a bad one for a short while and lost a shedfull of cash) and the IS200SC with no Auto option?  And how many of these vehicles do you see on the road?

Sportcross was in response to customers lobbying for a sporty estate....... and nobody bought it.

I guess they'll trust their researchers next time.....

And there endeth the 2nd response. :winky:

1.  IS200 SE auto metallic  = £22k,  IS250 (as close a spec as possible for comparison) = £30k  No matter how good the new vehicle is, how preety it is, how well it drives, even the diesel version as yet untried; I, and probably thousands of other people, can't afford a new IS250 but can afford an IS200.  Lexus have probably walked away from my business and that of many others.  I want to own a car like the IS200, it is the best car I have ever had. (I'm on my 3rd since 1999).  That's what I meant by losing the plot. 

2.  If Lexus and TMC are so market-aware how come we got the IS300SC (I owned a bad one for a short while and lost a shedfull of cash) and the IS200SC with no Auto option?  And how many of these vehicles do you see on the road?

Dude, you are so not comparing apples with apples:

First pricing:

IS200 SE Auto £22K-ish

IS250 SE Auto £27,710 not £30K - this is according to Lexus website configurator

Yes there is a big price increase but for that price increase you get over and above the outgoing model:

Better stereo, more speakers, MP3 compatibility, iPod socket, full leather, heated AND ventilated seats, bigger engine, keyless entry, push button engine start, tinted rear side glass, in-dash information display, VSC, LED lamps, more airbags, airbag cut off switch, optichron display, those flashy rings that come on when you go over a certain speed...should I go on?

I agree with you the new car is more money. But you get, in my opinion £5K more kit on the car. Some people who are existing Lexus owners will stay buy the new car. Some will ditch the brand and go elsewhere, some will stick with the current IS and keep the value of the outgoing model up. At the end of the day, if you like it and can afford you will go for it. I suspect that there will be many people in this category.

If I could get the IS250SEAUTO here in Ireland for the equivalent of £30,000 I would be a happy man and would order one tomorrow........so be glad you dont have to pay our prices...approx £40,000

why does everyone compare the IS250 with the IS200 ??

try comparing it to the IS300 suddenly it doesnt seem so expensive  :whistling:

I'm glad that someone finally decided to point that one out, in terms of performance, the 250 is about the same as the 300, and therefore should cost about the same. Plus its more economical :P

I'm glad with what Lexus have done, they're not trying to appeal to everyone by trying to cover every possible price range. An example would be my bro bought a 3.0 Z4 a few years ago. At the time, BMW said there would only be a 2.5 and a 3.0, but then as time went by, along came a 2.2, and now there's even a 2.0 litre as well. He's really p :tsktsk: d off about that now, because its absolutely killed his residual value

Lexus on the other hand, rather than maximise sales, have decided to build a quality car, and if you can afford it, great, if not, they're not too bothered, because the buyers who do have one will not be penalised for there being too many models in the range, and it also prices the car out of comparisons with the Mazda 6 and Honda Accord :sick:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links