Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official New 2006 Is Topic

I have been following the pre lauch for the new IS for about 18 months and eagerly anticipated its launch which I knew would coincide with the replacement of my current vehicle (Rover 75 diesel). I agree with the post about who cares about the thickness of door seals etc, but only to a point. Where the packaging is poor is on the equipemnt levels, great if you want it all, pricey if not. As an example, I happen to want lumbar adjustment on my seat.

If I was buying a BMW 320, I can have it for £135. I can also add 17" wheels for about £500. In my opinion the 16" on the 250 look weedy, especially on the back, given the expanse of metal there. With lexus if I want those 'extras' I have to pay £3000 for thew SE.

Agree too about comments re Audi and Merc, and dealer service is rubbish anyway. Ive driven the 250 auto twice, and its great, but doesnt make financial sense for company car drivers.

Ive driven diesel everyday for 8 years. VW passat, and Rover 75 (a la BMW 320 in both 115 and 130 bhp spec). Ive also driven the two best diesels out there, jaguars 2.7 V6 and the Honda, which is very smooth, but not particularly punchy. To my mind the 320d doesnt compare in smoothness with either of those engines.

Anyway, in my experience the diesels Ive had, including the River BMW unit, get progressively gruffer as the miles pile on, even after 25 or 30, 000, so you need something smooth to start with.

We've now seen about 6 media reports on the 220d, and only 2 were complimentary. this link has an Avensis review

http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/dr...sis/d-4d-2.html

and the dealers say its great, so who do you believe? I will be down my local dealer first week in Jan to find out.

Incidentally I called at Sheffield Lexus yesterday, and the impression I get is that dealers will have the diesel before Christmas but may not register and tax till 1st jan. anyone else now if thats true?

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anybody got any photos of a base IS250 with 16in wheels. I too think that a non Se with MM is more attractive than an SE, but I would really like to see what the wheels look like.

Found this on autotrader:

120938689.jpg

IS220d is averagely quick and averagely economically - up there with the best.

It is however, by far the smoothest, quietest and most refined, having driven them all back to back. Nothing comes close in terms of isolating the driver from noise and vibration through the seat and controls. It is excellent.

Wait and see.

Door handle rubber is just a nod to the quality of the rest of the car - I don't have a gasket fetish......

Has anybody got any photos of a base IS250 with 16in wheels. I too think that a non Se with MM is more attractive than an SE, but I would really like to see what the wheels look like.

Found this on autotrader:

120938689.jpg

Thanks...I looked on Autotrader and didn't see this one..doh

I don't think they look too bad!

No, averagely means it is not the quickest or the slowest in its class, nor the most economical or most thirsty - somwhere in between. A good all ronder.

Except for the refinement, smoothness and quietness, which is by far the best, and smoothness, quietness and refinement are Lexus' three core brand values.

Hi

I am the proud owner of a new IS250 & loving every minute of it, my first Japanese car in 35 years of motoring.

Question :- if any one can help? what type of lead do I need to connect my ipod to play through the stereo on the new car, is it a small jack at both ends from the mike socket to the MP3 socket in the 250?

Thanks

Bocabar :driving:

Hi

I am the proud owner of a new IS250 & loving every minute of it, my first Japanese car in 35 years of motoring.

Question :-    if any one can help?  what type of lead do I need to connect my ipod to play through the stereo on the new car, is it a small jack at both ends from the mike socket to the MP3 socket in the 250?

Thanks

Bocabar :driving:

I've raised a similar question over on the 'Lexus Audio/Video/Electronics/Security' forum...... I'm hoping there is a solution to control the IPOD from the wheel/screen!

3.5mm stereo jack plug, controlled via the CD mode on the dash unit. Don't have in ipod, but guess it will work from the steering wheel?

As i understand it, there are 2 flavours of ipod compatability

1. just an audio input that you select and can hear the music, but you have to use the ipod to change tracks etc. There is nothing really clever about this..every household hi-fi for years has had an aux in.

2. the full works which means you can change tracks etc from the in car controls

If you go the the apple ipod website, it gives you a list of cars which have (2)....and lexus isn't on there, so I assume it is just (1).

Maybe moley could check?

(the cars must be selling themselves, as he has so much time to post on here :D )

No, averagely means it is not the quickest or the slowest in its class, nor the most economical or most thirsty - somwhere in between. A good all ronder.

Except for the refinement, smoothness and quietness, which is by far the best, and smoothness, quietness and refinement are Lexus' three core brand values.

which is what I expected, from all the technology in the engine. And I am sure its elasticity will comeup during the comparos...

I had a good hard look at the 16" wheels and how they "fit" the car's svelt lines.

Agree to some extent with the previous comments on there being too much metal, and did actually compare this to how the 3 series and Audi A4 look with their standard 162 wheels. They all look the same!!

The rear arches are flared to allow for the monster truck wheels when everyone starts to mod the cars (manufacturers forward thinking...).

This "flaring" can make the rear wheels look a little weedy, but whilst I am driving around I don't see them, if other Lexi drivers laugh at me, I know I have a more comfortable ride!!

Oh, and the tyre's will cost me half as much, oh yes and I won't get too badly stuck in snow, oh yes and I won't be aquaplaining all over the outside lane for 95% of the year, oh yes and less road noise...

Snow.....That's a good point - the Audi's ESP was useless in Icy conditions when you were starting from a standstill...I wonder if the Lexus TRC and VSC fair any better, especially 'cos it's rear wheel driven.

I also cannot find anyone (including the dealers) who can tell me whether Mud Flaps will be available for the IS. Any one know? Mr Mole?

3.5mm stereo jack plug, controlled via the CD mode on the dash unit. Don't have in ipod, but guess it will work from the steering wheel?

As i understand it, there are 2 flavours of ipod compatability

1. just an audio input that you select and can hear the music, but you have to use the ipod to change tracks etc. There is nothing really clever about this..every household hi-fi for years has had an aux in.

2. the full works which means you can change tracks etc from the in car controls

If you go the the apple ipod website, it gives you a list of cars which have (2)....and lexus isn't on there, so I assume it is just (1).

Maybe moley could check?

(the cars must be selling themselves, as he has so much time to post on here :D )

Here is an aftermarket product that may help you to connect your iPod to the IS250 head unit: http://www.vaistech.com/home.html

It's now been 1 week that I have had my IS250 and I am still smiling :D

The AUX input in the armrest is a standard 3.5mm jack, same as stereo headphone sockets on most audio equipment. So you only really need a double ended jack lead to connect an MP3 player.

In fact you can connect any analogue device to this jack. You could attach a Mic or a Tape deck, whatever takes your fancy. Put in a Microphone and it's ideal for election time or announcing the "Water Supply Is Being Turned Off" with the stereo on full blast :blink:

Spent a few hows making MP3 CD compilations for playing in the 6 CD/DVD changer. Getting the

format correct wasn't too difficult until my I.T brain started to think whether I could blow a DVD full of

MP3's.

Turns out the DVD player has some limitations on the format of the DVD it will read. I have managed

to play DVD-R and standard DVDs. Not been able to get it to play a DVD-RW or +RW yet! ! Tried a few different formats of DVD-R will MP3 and WMA files, but the disc would not read. Still trying!!

What I am trying to achieve is a set of DVDs full of WMA and MP3 songs/albums so that I have more free slots for films or original CDs. How much music can one Lexus truly hold? I don't know but will find out :geek:

I'm waiting to test drive a 220d SE before i order in Jan. I've read lots of reviews and its hard to get a clear picture - main criticism seems to be noisy engine as far as i can tell. Test drove the 2.2D x-Type which was ok but nothing special so i have high hopes for the lexus. Will get a 320D next week so should be in a position to compare to 220D. Anyway if any real person (rather than a magazine reviewer) has tried out the 220D then plese post your comments.

I've been reminded by another topic, of the persistent wheel corrosion problem with the IS200s which Lexus have never fixed, merely changed the wheels for another set which soon develop the same problem. My IS200 has 9000 on the clock and is on its third set.

The problem is simply that the wheels are lacquered instead of stove enamelled or powder coated.

Can those in the know (The Mole possibly) tell us please what is the finishing process used on IS250 wheels?

When UK car magazines began to review the new Lexus IS, I was disappointed by their lack of objectiveness. in particular, having driven the car myself, criticisms of the ride and steering seemed completely unfounded. Also the diesel engine really is excellent. I haven't expereinced it in the IS yet, but in other Toyotas it really shines - and unlike BMWs, it gets better with use, rather than losing its refinement with age.

Anyway, now that most of the UK rags are doing their end of year reviews, we're seeing the IS get much better write-ups. In particular, Top Gear rated it above the 3-Series and Car was much more lavish in its praise than it had been before. Mole said something on this forum about motoring journalists not wishing to bite the hand that feeds them with advertising. At least they said the right thing in the end.

The proof is in the eating (or rather the buying) and Lexus sales in the USA show that it is doing very well indeed. According to My.IS Lexus has achieved its best ever month with the IS since the model began life in 1999. Well done Lexus.

When UK car magazines began to review the new Lexus IS, I was disappointed by their lack of objectiveness. in particular, having driven the car myself, criticisms of the ride and steering seemed completely unfounded. Also the diesel engine really is excellent. I haven't expereinced it in the IS yet, but in other Toyotas it really shines - and unlike BMWs, it gets better with use, rather than losing its refinement with age.

Anyway, now that most of the UK rags are doing their end of year reviews, we're seeing the IS get much better write-ups. In particular, Top Gear rated it above the 3-Series and Car was much more lavish in its praise than it had been before. Mole said something on this forum about motoring journalists not wishing to bite the hand that feeds them with advertising. At least they said the right thing in the end.

The proof is in the eating (or rather the buying) and Lexus sales in the USA show that it is doing very well indeed. According to My.IS Lexus has achieved its best ever month with the IS since the model began life in 1999. Well done Lexus.

I also have been watching the IS launch in anticipation. When changing my car last time I test drove the IS200 and loved it, but it was just beyond my budget at that time. I first test drive the 250 last Saturday, with a view to getting one in March. The dealer then surprised me and said there was one available in the country in the colour I wanted, so I ordered it and collect on Friday night. Its an SE Auto in Cadoxton Slate and I cant wait. Just wanted to say thanks to all who have put many useful posts on this site, which very much helped me make a quick decision.

I think those 16" wheels look fine.

Don't like leather in the Winter - too cold

Don't like leather in the Summer - too hot

Don't like leather on tight corners - slippy slidy

The basic IS250 Auto sounds just my cup of tea

Just need to master that foot operated handbrake without banging the steering wheel or centre console to get my foot on the pedal and the jobs a goodun.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links