Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Official New 2006 Is Topic

Lots of questions on the last few posts.

MP3s on a CD play with ease, being able to navigate through the folder structure from the touch screen. I have not used a DVD with MP3 but other posts on the site suggest that this will not work. You can get 200-300 (probably more depending on the track) mp3 tracks on a CD - 6 CDs equals 1800 tracks - a lot of listening.

The MPG on my 250SE-L is running at about 31-32 on an all round journey. I was gentle until I reached 1000 Klicks but have been heavy footed since and still achieving the same MPG . My IS300 SX managed 26 so this baby is heaven at the pumps.

My insurance is £324 with business use, 20K estimated annual mileage, no claims protection and all the bits which was the best quote I could get so I was 'quoted happy' (I am 53).

The car is great, I still stare from the window when it's just been cleaned and is bright and shiney (about one day a week at present) - it looks and drives fabulously and, so far, I have yet to see another one on the road!!

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple of questions on the IS250. Anybody with reversing sensore had problems with them, or is it the dealer fit ones with the problems ( I've heard they are not fitting them anymore until new ones come in something to do with the wiring ).

Anybody either plump for one of these below, or know the price (it's not Bluetooth but hardwired )? Are these dealer fit?

A. HANDS-FREE TELEPHONE KIT

Clip your phone * into the cradle and you can start making and receiving

calls straightaway. A microphone enhances pick-up and there’s an

external antenna for improved reception. The system integrates with

your car’s audio to relay the caller’s voice through the front speakers while

automatically muting the radio or CD.

Well picked up my IS250SE on Saturday and its great, I really cannot fault the car in anyway at all. I knew when I test drove the car it was the best car in its class, but having driven for 5 days it is really an excellent car.

One question though, which may seem a little stupid... when I stop the engine, the radio cuts out which is fine, but I cannot find a way to turn on again whilst car stationary without engine running?

I was wrong (see post on page 29). I will NOT be switching to Audi!

Have now had 2nd test drive, this time with automatic. Now I've never liked autos, but this is something else. IS200 feels very old all of a sudden - roll on delivery in February.....

I was wrong (see post on page 29).  I will NOT be switching to Audi!

Have now had 2nd test drive, this time with automatic.  Now I've never liked autos, but this is something else.  IS200 feels very old all of a sudden - roll on delivery in February.....

I could not agree more, I have never had an auto in my life either, but after the test-drive, thought well worth the extra £1000 - its a completely different experience to the manual. Good choice...

Lots of questions on the last few posts. 

MP3s on a CD play with ease, being able to navigate through the folder structure from the touch screen.  I have not used a DVD with MP3 but other posts on the site suggest that this will not work.  You can get 200-300 (probably more depending on the track) mp3 tracks on a CD - 6 CDs equals 1800 tracks - a lot of listening.

The MPG on my 250SE-L is running at about 31-32 on an all round journey.  I was gentle until I reached 1000 Klicks but have been heavy footed since and still achieving the same MPG .  My IS300 SX managed 26 so  this baby is heaven at the pumps.

My insurance is £324 with business use, 20K estimated annual mileage, no claims protection and all the bits which was the best quote I could get so I was 'quoted happy' (I am 53).

The car is great, I still stare from the window when it's just been cleaned and is bright and shiney (about one day a week at present) - it looks and drives fabulously and, so far, I have yet to see another one on the road!!

Andy.....I have clocked up 54 years.....so I just beat you :) Circa 275 pounds qouted for the same car ( 250 se-l auto mm sunroof )but mileage of around 10k P/A, 1 x sp30 and x windsceen claim all this year. If I average around 30 mpg I will be happy :) get around 22 on my current car - 11 yr old Xedos 9. Yes I know about the cd / mp3 thing....it was just a thought that maybe the dvd would work but no big deal. Thnx PS March 1st can't come soon enuff for me !!

Yes works fine with Engine on, but cannot turn on Radio/CD with engine off?

You need to press the star button once without your foot on the brake (if its an auto) or clutch (if its a manual) and that will turn your Battery on, press it again to switch all the accessories on too. Only when you have the foot on the brake?clutch you'll start the engine.

Mat

Peterb,

I have an Audi A4 which I am PEXng for the IS220d...if it was the 250 that I was buying I would only go for the Auto (having driven the manual and auto 250)

I reckon the Auto is so good (even though the Manual is excellent too) that in order to get good money in the future for your second hand IS250 it will HAVE to be an auto (like Merc's).

I have seen one in the autotrader advertised as "IS250 CVT", but I thought they were conventional auto's...

It really is a stonker that Lexus have not put an auto in the diesel. Mine won't be a company car, but I care about the environment just a little too much to go for the V6...

Anyway, on a comparo, the Audi and Lexus are equally well built, though the VAG car is a bit dull inside. The Audi in spite of being 5 years old now is still a slightly more spacious car compared to the IS, and it drives impeccably (respecially the V grill), with little road noise. If the mags weren't so BeeEm orientated the Audi would always win the German battle...If for any reason I can't stand the diesel IS, It will be back to Audi again...

As an overall package the IS is too good...

But for now all that I can say is that you've done the right thing matey...(IMHO), especially as a New A4 comes out in 2007 (early) and anything you buy now will be worth 50% what you have paid in 2 years...

Yes works fine with Engine on, but cannot turn on Radio/CD with engine off?

You need to press the star button once without your foot on the brake (if its an auto) or clutch (if its a manual) and that will turn your Battery on, press it again to switch all the accessories on too. Only when you have the foot on the brake?clutch you'll start the engine.

Mat

Excellent - thanks Mat

But for now all that I can say is that you've done the right thing matey...(IMHO), especially as a New A4 comes out in 2007 (early) and anything you buy now will be worth 50% what you have paid in 2 years...

Many thanks - it was a tough call, especially given the Audi had 220 BHP (limited edition).

Autocar has as review on IS220d, again didnt like the diesel.

Now, they do write some contradictory claims in there:

"From 50-70mph in top gear took 9.2sec, compared to the 9.6sec required by the smaller-engined 320d, while 30-50mph in fourth calls for no more than 4.5sec, or over a second less than the 320d. This engine may have a rather narrow powerband, but there’s no missing the urgency when it is on boost."

So car has narrow powerband, yet in top gear it is faster than 320d? They call it much slower than 320d due to it being porkier, yet it is more than full second faster 30-50 in 4th gear?

Their passing speed tests pretty much equal those of Avensis with the same engine, in AMS german tests where ze germans called it superior engine than one found in 320d. (it was a lot faster in passing speeds, except at 0-100kmh, where it was marginally slower). In Avensis, it is also quieter than in 320d, in the same test, so I am figuring out where this "clatter" in IS220d comes from.

Quite possibly from being tested in winter, with brand new engines, and IS250 smoothness to compare it to...

Picked up my IS250SEL today, and the handover experience was nothing short of excellent. Well done Lexus Croydon.

After a couple of hours driving, the car is an absolute gem. The auto box is superb, the sat-nav a joy to use, both must haves IMO.

A truely excellent car, which I look forward to many long hours behind the wheel :driving: . I am sure those who have already taken delivery of their new IS will testlfy to the quality and comfort.

Peterb has made the right decission regarding switching from the Audi A4, a good car, but the IS250 is in another class.

Still a rare sight on the road, only seen one since the cars launch.

Mine pretty much stay on my drive as I wrk from home most of the time. At 3am th eother morning I was awoken by noises in the street.

A police car was parked across my drive at an strange angle, further down the road was a Police van and several cops on foot running around. Later there was a dog van.

Several days later a neighbour taxi driver tells me the story.

Four proffessional car thieves had been targetting the street. A guy had looked out of his bedroom window to see someone casing a brand new BMW 7 series.

The Police were already in the area, and swooped in on his call.

Turns out four pro. car thieves where in the street planning to take top mark cars. Thankfully the cops caught all four. Thus the parking across my drive. One new Lexus saved from car crime.

A reminder to all to not only take your keys and fobs to bed with you, but to also have a solid weapon by your bed when the pros decide your car is the one they will be taking that night. They have to get the keys by whatever means possible.

Sleep well, but prepare for a rude awakening. Hit them hard if they do !!!

I agree about the rattles, even more so because I have an SE-L with Multimedia on order!  The only good thing about it is the Lexus warranty and the Lexus Customer Care, hopefully either or both will sort out any problems.

Seems a few people have mentioned rattle on the New IS dash with Multimedia. I have driven over 15 different New IS models and none of them rattled. The only minor problem is the surround where your left knee rests. This clicks on some of the very first models (November cars) but seems to have been put right on the ones coming through in December. On mine I have just had a small piece of foam insrted into the dash and it cured it straight away. As said before, its all covered under warranty, so worry not my friends. :D

I'm not that worried as mentioned before it will be covered under warranty. I heard that it might be better to wait for at least a year before ordering a new model of car to give them time to iron our any niggles and with the comments about the rattle I was starting to think I had done the wrong thing ordering one of the first ones, but I'm sure it will be fine.

I have driven two SE-Ls with MM and must admit neither of them had a rattle.

I have been looking at this forum for a few weeks since collecting my new IS 250 SE-L MM, to see if anyone else was experiencing the same rattle as me.

This is my second Lexus (last car 53 plate RX300 SE Sat Nav) and both have suffered incessant rattles from the dash, although IN ADDITION this one has an even more annoying rattle which sounds like it's coming from the seatbelt housing. On closer inspection I have a feeling it's actually something in the door because if I apply pressure to the door with my elbow when driving, it stops (until I stop applying pressure that is!) I can't believe that a £32k+ car rattles, squeaks and creaks. It's incessant and totally spoils my enjoyment of an otherwise fabulous car.

After returning my RX to the dealer more than 5 times to get it fixed, I even wrote to Lexus GB last year and received a written reply saying that they were sorry and hoped it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the car!!! Would I write if it wasn't spoiling my enjoyment of the car!?

Apart from inserting a rubber strip between the dash and the windscreen (which only half worked) there must be a more foolproof way of PROPERLY fixing it. Frankly I refuse to keep wasting a whole day returning the car to my local dealer if all they are going to do is insert a rubber strip. I can get one from B&Q and fit it myself in 30 seconds if that's the best solution!

Incidentally on the Lexus Owners Club USA website I saw this posted in response to a similar problem:

"Apparently there is a bracket which runs the width of the dash and is attached to the firewall. This bracket, when heated by the nearby duct would rattle. My Lexus dealership loosened this bracket, insulated it, and tightened it and the noise is gone."

That's all well and good but mine creaks/rattles whether it's hot or cold.

Before anyone says I've just been unlucky, may I point out that EVERY Lexus I have driven had the same noises including:

'05 plate GS 430 Demonstrator

'05 plate GS 300 Demonstrator

'05 plate RX400h Demonstrator

'55 plate IS 250 Demonstrator

Has anyone else had theirs 'properly' fixed? If so, by which dealership?

Hi all - been looking in on this forum while waiting for my new IS250 SE Auto to arrive. Finally picked it up last night and traded in my TT. I've only done 40 miles or so but first impressions are great - everything I expected it to be. I'll take some photos at the weekend and look into getting Gold membership.

Hi

Anyone interested in a new IS220D I notice that

www.onlinecarslimited.com now has them listed on their site with £1000 + discount, depending on the model.

I bought my IS250SE auto, from them last month & found them a pleasure to deal with.

P.s. I still park my car as far away as poss. at the supermarket, so I can take a longer, lingering look at it on my return!!

My first Lexus & more than happy !!

remmember to keep ti clean. still suffers from water paint! so loads fo polish and wax and use some nice wash mitts with proper valet cloths to keep it scratch free! Its a wonderful car to live in and drive. Dont regreat any moment in it. Jsut wish there was a body kit avail soon!

remmember to keep ti clean. still suffers from water paint! so loads fo polish and wax and use some nice wash mitts with proper valet cloths to keep it scratch free! Its a wonderful car to live in and drive. Dont regreat any moment in it. Jsut wish there was a body kit avail soon!

Why would you want to ruin a perfectly beautiful car by adding a body kit!! they're stunning already. Need you here to show my valeters a thing or 2, all you ever do is clean that beautiful car of yours!!

I know it is beautiful already, but just a subtle..ever so subtle difference to make the IS250 which seems rare enough on the roads..that ever more personalised....

Saving up to go Pro -Lex....hehe

As for exercise and Lex-Fu (lexus Car Wash kung Fu?), weekly washing for the black lexus is essential to rid the dust and keep the waxed look crystal. Sonus or Zymol do decent car wash systems (use just a minimal amount., should last 40-50 washes - about 10-11 months worth of weekly wash!)

Washing by hand with a good fibre mitt, with minimal pressure, one can appreciate the Lexus styling especially from the back to front. To go that extra, checking the tyre threads for shrapnel, agitation of the inner allow rims with a long brush and dressing the tyres gives a total protection on a weekend withotu chores/partying or work!

Anyone managed to fit the unit to run the iPod off the screen? I have a direct line to the Aux connection and a USB adaptor to the power socket. Makes the CD player more or less redundant (load it with DVD's), but it would be good to control the iPod from the screen.

There was a unit suggested on another thread, but has anyone tried it? :unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links