Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Wont' Go In The Ignition!

pobrown

Strange one today.

Drove to work as normal - car working 100%.

Got into car at the end of work and the key would only go into the ignition 2/3 of the way. By a strange coincidence I had another key in my pocket and that wouldn't go in properly either.

Tried moving the gearstick to check it is in Park and turning the steering wheel but nothing would work.

Called out the RAC and the block managed to get the key in after about 15 minutes of trying - he said is was more luck and brute force (and WD40) than skill. He said it looks like I'll need a new barrel on the ignition. Key feels stiffer than before and I don't want to trust it for much longer. It's just a good job I wasn't stranded miles from home and that I only work 5 miles away.

Anyone know of a ball-park cost for this repair? I shall be phoning Lexus Sheffield first thing in the morning (even though I'm really annoyed that they never got back to me when I phoned their servicing dept at 5.05pm and they close at 6pm).

Car is a Dec 2001 51 Reg IS200 SE Auto/Nav and this is the 2nd thing to go wrong with the car since it's warranty ran out 8 weeks ago - not too happy about that!

Cheers

Phil

they will tell u about £150 plus labour, as they will prob change the complete set of locks , u will also get 3 new keys.

the normal symptom is that the key gets stuck in the ACC position.

the other option is to get a new barrel that has been pre cut to your existing key - this is about £80 but can take 2 weeks to be done - fitting of this takes 30 mins( DIY guide in the workshop section) but they often charge for the hour.

if ur car is still under warranty then get it done for free it is a known problem.

if ur car is still under warranty then get it done for free it is a known problem.

Currently waiting for Lexus Sheffield to get back to me with a price (90 minutes and counting). The guy on the phone said that Lexus have changed the keys slightly to stop this happening, so it must be a known problem. I'm really not happy that this has happened 8 weeks after the warranty has expired - I would expect the keys/barrel to last for many more years than 3 and a bit.

Cheers

Phil

i have known of a few manufacturers to offer a free replacement when things go wrong so close to the end of your warranty as no one expects things to go wrong just after the warranty runs out just complain loudly and constantly until you get what you want and you never know till you try

good luck

leg

i have known of a few manufacturers to offer a free replacement when things go wrong so close to the end of your warranty as no one expects things to go wrong just after the warranty runs out just complain loudly and constantly until you get what you want and you never know till you try

Got a quote from Lexus Sheffield of £380inc to change all the locks and provide new keys.

Phoned Lexus Customer Care to complain that I wasn't too happy about the warranty only recently expiring - they looked into it and got back to me an hour later to say that they will pay for the parts. I just have to pay Lexus Sheffield for the labour.

Cheers

Phil

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links