Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Too Many Passengers

Ravstar

Hello peeps,

Was just wondering what the situation is when you have say 4 people sitting in the back of your car with only 3 seats- I read the bit on seatbelts posted in this section and it says:

"More Passengers than Seat Belts

The safest option is to only carry the same number of passengers as there are seat belts. If necessary, use two cars or make two journeys for the trip.

If you must carry a passenger for whom there is no seat belt, it is better for the heaviest passengers to wear a seat belt, because they would cause more severe injuries to other people in the car if they are thrown about in a crash."

Does this apply to having one too many passengers in the car too? If so, is it legal to carry an extra person in a car when there is no other practical option?

PS- I am not a minicab driver, just hate it when at the end of a night out there are so many vulnerable (and fit) women who need a lift home and I have to pick only 4 :whistling:

I always thought it would be ileagle to carry more than 3 in the back.if it is against the law to not wear a belt then the extra person would be breaking it

You're right. I heard it on one of those police programmes before - you can only carry a max of 3 people in the back. And sometime they're not happy about that because the person sat in the middle could be blocking your rear view.

If you carry more passengers than you have seatbelts, OR if you have adults on the rear seats ..... holding babies in there laps :angry::angry::angry:

It's classed as "Dangerous and insecure loads"

This is punishble by 3 points, and a £60 fine, by means of a Fixed Penalty Notice.

This is one of my personal pet hates! :angry::angry:

One of my hates too - no belt no ride in my book - the number of unbelted / unsecure babies round here is crazy - and they never seem to get caught (or have crashes :blink: ).

One of my hates too - no belt no ride in my book - the number of unbelted / unsecure babies round here is crazy - and they never seem to get caught (or have crashes  :blink: ).

When babies are not properly secured, and a crash does happen, the results are not nice. :crybaby:

One of my hates too - no belt no ride in my book - the number of unbelted / unsecure babies round here is crazy - and they never seem to get caught (or have crashes  :blink: ).

When babies are not properly secured, and a crash does happen, the results are not nice. :crybaby:

I seen some dozy tart this morning on a dual carriageway, with her child in the back, whilst she was on her mobile. It makes you wonder what they think is more important, the child or the call.

Cool- glad to have that cleared up. I usually leave the extra person behind/come back again to get em, so it looks like it will only be 4 women a pop for me B)

Another good thing about the IS sport is that you cant have too many people in there anyway as it would just scrape along the ground (especially over speed bumps :angry: )

Cool- glad to have that cleared up.  I usually leave the extra person behind/come back again to get em, so it looks like it will only be 4 women a pop for me  B)

Another good thing about the IS sport is that you cant have too many people in there anyway as it would just scrape along the ground (especially over speed bumps  :angry: )

Is your car lowered? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

yesterday housemate got a call (he works for ambulance control) a woman had hit her tree at 50/60 mph. neither her or her 4 year old and 6 month old baby were stapped in.

Mother and 4 Year old both died horrifically. The 6 month old baby has half its skull missing but still surviving in hospital at the moment.

This is the results of someone not strapping up, or her own children.

Cool- glad to have that cleared up.  I usually leave the extra person behind/come back again to get em, so it looks like it will only be 4 women a pop for me  B)

Another good thing about the IS sport is that you cant have too many people in there anyway as it would just scrape along the ground (especially over speed bumps  :angry: )

Is your car lowered? :blink:

Maybe he only picks up fat birds :winky:

yesterday housemate got a call (he works for ambulance control) a woman had hit her tree at 50/60 mph. neither her or her 4 year old and 6 month old baby were stapped in.

Mother and 4 Year old both died horrifically. The 6 month old baby has half its skull missing but still surviving in hospital at the moment.

This is the results of someone not strapping up, or her own children.

Stupid, stupid woman :angry::angry::angry:

Bet the hubby/father is in a right state!

I wont move the car an inch until my 3 kids are securely strapped in. I have NEVER driven a car without wearing the seatbelt. I know of a couple of people that don't wear them... rekkon they're too uncomfortable - DURRR! :duh:

Tony.

Maybe he only picks up fat birds    :winky:

:lol::lol::lol:

Stupid, stupid woman :angry:  :angry:  :angry: 

Bet the hubby/father is in a right state!

I wont move the car an inch until my 3 kids are securely strapped in. I have NEVER driven a car without wearing the seatbelt. I know of a couple of people that don't wear them... rekkon they're too uncomfortable - DURRR! :duh:

Tony.

Too right Tony, when ever my newphews are in the car I dont move till theyve belted up :excl:

How anyone can drive a car with their kids not strapped in is beyond all logic. :angry: Until my grandchildren are secure the car does not leave the drive.However since getting the LS they sit in the back like film starlets, seat heaters on vibrating away with great big grins. :D :D

• 2 months later...

Adult passengers who don't want to wear a seatbelt soon buckle up if you tap the brake with your left foot - check in your mirrors first though!

I feel exposed not wearing a seatbelt, it just doesn't feel right.

You are not insured if you carry more people than the vehicle was designed to carry, so not a clever thing unless of course you are on a promise from more than 4 fit birds  :whistling:

How 'bout a body in the boot, does that count? :whistling: