Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Congestion Charge Reminder

Billsy

My gf and I went to the filming of TopGear on Tuesday 22nd February. On our way to Surrey (from Stockport) we decided to drive past a few sites in the beautiful city of London. Before we set off, I entered our destination into TomTom Navigator, which then informed me that we would be directed through the London congestion charge zone. We decided to accept the route thinking that the bill would be no more than a fiver. Oh how wrong could I be! The bill promptly arrived on our doormat on Friday morning for the sum of £50 (£100 after 14 days). After a bit of research it turns out that you're supposed to pay the £5 fee on or before the day of travel, I did not know this, and I'm sure a lot of you didn't either so be warned/reminded

Cheers

Billsy

Something I didnt know either, another money making scheme, dont tell the tourists so they pay more

Ive got to go to Alexandra Palace soon, does anyone know If its in the zone and how much on on a Saturday

lol i knew it had to be paid by 10pm....

I knew as well, we had to go recently but were not to sure if we entered the zone or not, so we called the number to check and they could not help either, we did see the signs for the zone which is what made us think we had entered.

I don't know how they know you are there if they can't search your number plate when you ask them if you have entered the zone or not.

It's alright if you know your way around London or even what area your in, not living there it can be a little hard

The worst thing about this scheme is if you forget to pay and then remember. On 3 seperate occasions I've forgotten to pay, realised the next morning and phoned to try and pay - they won't accept payment next day so you get the big fines even though you're trying to pay it.

If you lived in or around London, trust me, you would know EXACTLY when and where the congestion zone is in force, fair play to them, they suspended it over Christmas & New Year and this was well advertised on local radio and again when the charges were to start again on the 4th of Jan.

If you went anywhere for the first time you would check the cost and how to pay so you all should be doing the same when you come to London.

Before you ask I can't stand Ken Livingstone but the congetion charge is fantastic for keeping all those Merc and BMW drivers out of London who think that getting a tube or bus is beneath them, roll on the £8 a day charge.

Luckily I get mine re-imbursed by my work. But yeah, weekdays, from 7am to 6:30pm, excluding official UK pulic bank holidays.

You got till 10pm on that day to pay it (or pay in advance), between 10 and midnight, it goes up to a tenner. After that, your :tsktsk:

If you went anywhere for the first time you would check the cost and how to pay so you all should be doing the same when you come to London.

I suppose I should have checked before hand. We just assumed we would be given more time to pay the £5 pound charge. Are there any road sign's within the zone that say you must pay before 10pm?