Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had My Car Stolen This Morning.

Ally

Years ago when cars was not so high tech, I had a vauxhall cresta it was easy to steal by anyone with half a brain.

so being a electrician at the time I installed my own immobiliser which was ONE WIRE and ONE SWITCH, the wire ran from the negative side of the ignition coil (the wire that went to the points) into the car to the one side of the switch and the other side to ground. with the switch ON the car engine would turn over WITH THE KEY but not start.

I would like to do the same thing to my lex, but not sure where to connect the (with all the electronics the car has) wire in the engine bay.

Q. can I connect it to the neg side of the coil ???? without upsetting anything. :shutit:

Im Sure you guys will know :unsure: thanks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just been in touch with the insurance company. They reckon if everything is ok it will take up to 20 days to complete it. My complimentary hire care is only for 14.

Can I ask about the Gap insurance. I understand it makes up the difference between what you owe on the car and what the insurance company gives you, is this right?

just been in touch with the insurance company. They reckon if everything is ok it will take up to 20 days to complete it. My complimentary hire care is only for 14.

Can I ask about the Gap insurance. I understand it makes up the difference between what you owe on the car and what the insurance company gives you, is this right?

Wayne, I think there are 2 types of GAP insurance. When i got the car i bought it outright, so the GAP insurance will make up the difference to the price i bought the car for (this includes the trade in for my last car aswell). I don't know about the one if you are paying in installments, but it should be the same.

Autowatch do a Stolen Keyguard system. This would have prevented this happening had it been installed.

I did PM scarface just after his car was taken and the other one was reported can't remember who it was now (but the guy's mother was on the drive when the theives took the keys) I suggested a group buy as I can get at a discount but I did not get a reply.

Sorry to hear this Ally, hope you're okay mate?

Did you hear anything?

What are you going to do now, get another Lex or go with something else?

This is getting bad lately....

Hope you're okay pal anyway, possessions can be replaced.

Autowatch do a Stolen Keyguard system.  This would have prevented this happening had it been installed.

I did PM scarface just after his car was taken and the other one was reported can't remember who it was now (but the guy's mother was on the drive when the theives took the keys)  I suggested a group buy as I can get at a discount but I did not get a reply.

Maria, I did get the PM, however on looking at the website you showed me, I was not able to get any information on the products, or what they did, hence why it never actually went anywhere! :)

Try here:

http://www.dsauto.co.uk/Autowatch_products.htm

bottom of page or:

Autowatch Keyguard £199 fitted

KeyGuard is an electronic module that integrates with the car's electrical system to prevent unauthorised use. It is controlled via an encrypted remote control keypad.

KeyGuard prevents unauthorised drivers from starting your car using your keys.

KeyGuard provides a PIN code (Personal Identification Number) for your car keys.

KeyGuard does not effect your vehicle's warranty, as the system can be installed without any wires being cut (note that professional installation is required).

KeyGuard can be installed in almost any vehicle that has a 12 volt Battery.

HOW DOES IT WORK

KeyGuard requires you to enter a 4-digit PIN number (like a bank card) before the car engine will start.

You can enter your 4-digit PIN before or after you have un-locked your vehicle.

You can personalise and change your PIN number as many times as you wish.

KeyGuard uses anti-scam technology, so a theif cannot electronically grab your code.

Research has proved that entering your KeyGuard PIN soon becomes as natural as using a normal key fob.

Autowatch do a Stolen Keyguard system.  This would have prevented this happening had it been installed.

I did PM scarface just after his car was taken and the other one was reported can't remember who it was now (but the guy's mother was on the drive when the theives took the keys)  I suggested a group buy as I can get at a discount but I did not get a reply.

now we've got the info - what price can you get on these Maria?

Group buy do it youself fit, (not hard) £99.00.

I also offered to arrange for a meeting with someone from the club and Autowatch who were prepared to do a demo of the product.

But I never got a reply if anyone is interested I am still prepared to arrange this.

Maria.

now we've got the info - what price can you get on these Maria?

Also came across this little beauty: the Autowatch 68Hi anti-hijack immobiliser.

Appears a good price, but the fitting seems a little excessive. It's almost 3 times the price of the unit :crybaby:

This week's Sesame Street has been brought to you by the letters D, I and Y :winky:

DIY also means you can fit it the way YOU want it, and the thieves won't know what to expect. For example, if anyone broke into my old D-reg Corolla, when going under the bonnet to rip out the alarm they wouldn't have expected the bonnet release handle to be carrying 500 volts! (I enjoyed building and installing that one and still have the power unit!) :devil:

Wish I could afford a Lexus hybrid - would bring a whole new meaning to the term "immobiliser"!

i've got some nice 10k neon transformers at work..

Ah, but they won't run on 12 volts, will they?

The one I knocked up is based on the Maplin Timing Strobe kit - would normally generate about 350 volts DC to drive the flash tube, except that I used a 6 volt transformer instead of 12 volt and tweaked the design, so the output voltage is 500 volts AC! Got a belt off it when I was testing it, too - nasty piece of kit. :D

But if you keep your keys (or better still a bunch of old keys) on a hook in the hallway that's wired to that 10kV neon sign transformer, things could get interesting... :devil: ...would bring a whole new meaning to the term "light fingered"!

You could even leave an old carbon-fibre fishing rod "just resting" against the outside drainpipe for them to use - much better than those tacky bamboo poles :winky:

• 3 weeks later...

**UPDATE**

Had a call from the police this morning to say that my car has been recovered in North Manchester. I don't know what condition it is in yet as i need to phone the garage where it is tomorrow. It was found on false plates but i don't think anyone was arrested. Should find out more tomorrow. :D

**UPDATE**

Had a call from the police this morning to say that my car has been recovered in North Manchester. I don't know what condition it is in yet as i need to phone the garage where it is tomorrow. It was found on false plates but i don't think anyone was arrested. Should find out more tomorrow.  :D

Hey thats fantastic news, I know how I felt when they called me up to tell me they had found mine :D

How long has it been gone for?

**UPDATE**

Had a call from the police this morning to say that my car has been recovered in North Manchester. I don't know what condition it is in yet as i need to phone the garage where it is tomorrow. It was found on false plates but i don't think anyone was arrested. Should find out more tomorrow.  :D

Hey thats fantastic news, I know how I felt when they called me up to tell me they had found mine :D

Gone for nearly 4 weeks. Phoned the garage today and they reckon it is still in good condition. The insurance company posted the cheque out to me this morning as well. Some big decisions to come i think.

**UPDATE**

Gone for nearly 4 weeks. Phoned the garage today and they reckon it is still in good condition. The insurance company posted the cheque out to me this morning as well. Some big decisions to come i think.

For me it would be an easy decision, would i want a car back that's been trashed within an inch of its life....answer NO THANKS ;)

If its been gone for 4 weeks, I think I'd agree, its prob best to take the cheque and get another one (obviously its not always as simple as that, depends how much they gave you ;) )

If they've already made the payout, does that mean the car gets recorded as stolen and recovered? As mine was found almost straightaway, it got taken off the register, so won't affect its residuals

Good news bud.  What are you going to do now then?  Have you been to have a look at the car?

The insurance company are going to get it towed to their approved garage and then inspect it. After that i can go and have a look. If i do take it back i reckon i'm going to need all the locks changed as the scrotes still have the key. If i am claiming on the insurance for new locks anyway, i might as well take the money and get another car. If i don't take it back, hopefully i will be allowed to take off some extras that were on it, like my 'strap-on' :winky: , TRD grille and the Philips Blu vision bulbs that i had fitted the day before it was stolen.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links