Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Problems

my Battery keeps going flat, last used it a week ago, its been in my garage

and went to get it out yesterday, Battery dead flat.

I was using it every day until 3 weeks ago but now stays in garage most of the time now (GF has own car now)

I replaced the Battery 2 weeks ago, thinking it was the battery(as its 4 1/2 years old)

Would the alarm drain it within a week or do i need to look elsewhere for a drain ?

Can i leave the Battery disconnected for a week at a time ? would it damage the ecu and electrics leaving it disconnected for so long ?

only till i can find out whats draining it.

John

my battery keeps going flat, last used it a week ago, its been in my garage

and went to get it out yesterday, battery dead flat.

I was using it every day until 3 weeks ago but now stays in garage most of the time now (GF has own car now)

I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago, thinking it was the battery(as its 4 1/2 years old)

Would the alarm drain it within a week or do i need to look elsewhere for a drain ?

Can i leave the battery disconnected for a week at a time ? would it damage the ecu and electrics leaving it disconnected for so long ?

John

Check that the light inside your boot goes out with the lid shut, or by locating the switch and pressing it to see if it's working. Had this prob on a Vauxhall a while back with the Battery continuously going flat :winky:

Tony.

my battery keeps going flat, last used it a week ago, its been in my garage

and went to get it out yesterday, battery dead flat.

I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago, thinking it was the battery(as its 4 1/2 years old)

Can i leave the battery disconnected for a week at a time ? would it damage the ecu and electrics leaving it disconnected for so long ?

John

Check that the light inside your boot goes out with the lid shut, or by locating the switch and pressing it to see if it's working. Had this prob on a Vauxhall a while back with the Battery continuously going flat :winky:

Tony.

My thoughts as well :winky:

bah, just went out to pick up the mother-in-law from airport to find my Battery flat too. Was just driving it two days ago. :angry:

Will check my boot light - but one thing I did notice was that my lights had been left in "Auto" - this doesn't drain power when ignition is off does it??

h

Will check my boot light - but one thing I did notice was that my lights had been left in "Auto" - this doesn't drain power when ignition is off does it??

No, they turn off when Auto is selected, that's the idea of that mode so you can set it and forget about it!

I had problems a while back when I fitted the HID's initially, by the time the RAC guy came out to check the problem it had given itself enough charge to be fine and after a drive it's been fine ever since. Think my car is the same sort of age as your John.

You've not fitted any mods which are attached to the electrical system lately have you? Maybe something wrong there?

And are all the interior lights off?

bah, just went out to pick up the mother-in-law from airport to find my battery flat too. Was just driving it two days ago.  :angry:

h

probably a faulty Battery.

No reason to think it's the boot light. Never heard of that problem before and isn't there a warning light on the dash if the boot is open? You wouldn't have one on without the other.

Is the boot-open sensor and the boot light triggered off the same sensor/swtich? Would make sense, I spose.

Dodgy Battery is most likely cause, yes - I'll wave my jump leads at friendly looking passers-by and then take her for a forty minute spin and then hope.

LOL! put the fear of *** in me, whydontcha? :winky:

:tsktsk: it. I'll go get a new Battery tomorrow morning on the tube.

(it is the second time my Battery has gawn in a month with plenty of driving in between so it's a safe bet that I need a new one anyway)

:)

(edit: incidentaly, for future reference, what exactly does "be careful" mean outside of the normal: make sure the terminals are correct etc.? - thanks)

I had this trouble and found it was a "drain" on the Battery by the phone. The AA were tops at getting to the route of the trouble and if you have a mulitmeter hook it up and see the Battery usage with the car on then turn everything off. It takes about 5 minutes to get to rock bottom, if it doesn;t fall off then you can then start the game of hide and seek to find what is draining it .