Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coilovers

I am considering a set of Tein CS for my car - and have some (embarassingly) basic questions.

1 - how heavy are they? Only place I have seen an indication is on lextasy (you have to add to cart and checkoput). That says 65 lbs - 15lbs per corner, or 7 bags of sugar? Is that weight right?

Seems awful heavy. I know they can't be light as a feather - but that seems a lot. How heavy are the standard components?

2 - Can you see the struts through the wheels?

Sad - I know. :blush:

But the CS are an especially tacky gold colour - and I really wouldn't want them to be visible if I could help it.

3 - How do you adjust the height?

Specifically - can you do it with the car on the road, or does it need to be on a ramp / jacked up?

Once you have finished laughing at my cluelessness - would appreciate your answers :D

you also have to remove the wheel to alter the ride hight.

when I had the Teins on my IS

it was a 20 min job to jack up the car and take the wheel off and adjust the ride hight with the spanners provided.

I couldnt see the teins thru the wheels as the brake discs/drums etc obscured the view.

the ones I had the Tein Flex, were heavy, but didnt feel as heavy as the OEM shocks.

thanks guys.

how do you go about the iterative process of getting the right ride height?

I initially did not want coliovers, as I dont need to adjust the ride height - these things will probably be set once and stay there.

but surely it takes a few iterations to get it right?

Down a bit

Down a bit

Down a bit

Ooh no - too hard

Up a bit again

a bit like that?

alex, are the CS the rubber or ball joint tops.

mat,, yes its a process to getthe right height but can be done in about 3 go's

ie do the rears, then measure the distance fromthe bottom of the thread to the lock not you adjust and do the same on the other pair,,

woooo

I like the sound of noiseless....

the pillowball mounts drove me mad!!!

Alex, How hard are they to fit to the GS?

I had sooo much problem getting my old shocks off my IS, I had to jump up and down on the rear hub to get enough clearence to remove the oem strut!!!

my friend who helped was not a happy man by the end of it all hehe

i have removed and installed shocks/springs and coilovers on my car for 4-5 times, without too much trouble.

However, i used a bridge.

Also, the GS and IS suspension setup and shocks/coilovers are very much alike, such that i guess that the installation for both cars is comparable.

i have promised a friend that he will get the first option on my Tein CS.

But ... i also have an used set of Apexi WS coilovers for sale soon ... These will give the same ride as stock, but are not stiffness adjustable.... I will post some pics next week when I am back from my trip.