Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Brakes

paul mach1

was wondering if anyone had any advice.I have a 2000 model IS200SE which I have owned for about two years. The car has been faultless except for one thing, the brake pedal is very soft. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had a go in another IS200. The pedal gets to about halfway before it starts braking with any real force, and if you keep your foot on the pedal it creeps down. I have just tried fitting another master cylinder and it is exactly the same. I,ve bled the whole system and it doesn't seem to have any air in it. Was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem or if there is something I've missed. Would appreciate any advice, thanks

was wondering if anyone had any advice.I have a 2000 model IS200SE which I have owned for about two years. The car has been faultless except for one thing, the brake pedal is very soft. I didn't realize how bad it was until I had a go in another IS200. The pedal gets to about halfway before it starts braking with any real force, and if you keep your foot on the pedal it creeps down. I have just tried fitting another master cylinder and it is exactly the same. I,ve bled the whole system and it doesn't seem to have any air in it. Was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem or if there is something I've missed. Would appreciate any advice, thanks

On the few occasions that I've driven a newer IS200 than mine I've noticed the same thing. I don't think there's anything wrong with my brakes, it's just that the new ones are different. Perhaps the feel of the brake changed at the same time that brake-assist was added (around end of 2001 or start 2002)?

if you have curtain airbags or isofix rear seat fixings or the new style dash then you have brake assist and electronic brake force distribution.

I must say I haven't noticed any different in the brake pedal feel between pre and post facelift models. Sounds like you need to bleed the brakes or get the pedal adjustment checked.

I,ve bled the whole system and it doesn't seem to have any air in it.

if you keep your foot on the pedal it creeps down.

Didn't anybody read these bits :whistling:

I had sh!t brakes for a while (softish pedal and poor performance) which was a siezed rear calliper but I wouldn't expect a "sinking" pedal.

If the pedal continues to sink you must have fluid leaking past a seal somewhere.

If there's no evidence of an external leak (or fluid loss from the reservoir) I can only think it would be a valve in the ABS pump as this is a closed system back to the master-cylinder.

I'm not a mechanic and have only worked on non-ABS brakes, so I'm just guessing.

if you have curtain airbags or isofix rear seat fixings or the new style dash then you have brake assist and electronic brake force distribution.

I must say I haven't noticed any different in the brake pedal feel between pre and post facelift models. Sounds like you need to bleed the brakes or get the pedal adjustment checked.

I have bled the brakes a couple of times, but made no difference. It could be the pedal adjustment though, interesting thought. I am a motor mechanic, so I'm pretty sure I've bled the brakes properly unless there is an unusual method for the Lexus. I did notice a bleed nipple on the ABS block, but I slackened that off and nothing comes out. Anyone know anything about it. I was after a workshop manual (need to adjust valve clearances next year, and change timing belt), anyone know where to get one?

I,ve bled the whole system and it doesn't seem to have any air in it.

Didn't anybody read this part :whistling:

I has sh!t brakes for a while (softish pedal and poor performance) which was a siezed rear calliper but I wouldn't expect a "sinking" pedal.

If the pedal continues to sink you must have fluid leaking past a seal somewhere.

If there's no evidence of an external leak (or fluid loss from the reservoir) I can only think it would be a valve in the ABS pump as this is a closed system back to the master-cylinder.

I'm not a mechanic and have only worked on non-ABS brakes, so I'm just guessing.

Totally agree about the leaking seal, basic physics, compression of liquids. The ABS valve is an interesting thought though. I have worked on some abs systems but generally there is not many serviceable parts, you just exchange the damaged item, it's finding the damaged part that's the trick. Could take it into Lexus, let them have a look

Hi

I too have iffy brakes on my 99 V SE, had the car 4 months, love it, but have never been inpressed with the brakes,

At high speeds I had terrible judder through the wheel, so I had the fronts disc and pads all round swopped for brand spankers at toyota dealship. It seemed to get better but a month down the line and high speed braking feels shocking again. (judder, pulling, faid etc)

The peddle has always had a long travel and having not driven any others I cannot confirm whether this is a trait of the car. All I do know is that when i jump in the other halfs Clio i neally put my self through the windscreen as no peddle travel is required before bite.

Whatever the problem is I'm back at toyota tomorrow to give them a sniff round. I'll let you know the results.

p.s. appologies for this being the first post I've been milking this site for months, just never had the chance to reply. Great forum and top geezers all round!

The peddle has always had a long travel and having not driven any others I cannot confirm whether this is a trait of the car. 

If you wanted to try mine (a 2000 X) for comparison, your more than welcome.

Where in South Yorks are you

You can get them from Lexus dealers.

Might get one,going to be handy. I'd like to thank everyone for their replies, been a great deal of help, first class blokes. I'll let you know how I get on and if I solve the problem, any other opinions mucho appreciated :driving:

Hi

I too have iffy brakes on my 99 V SE, had the car 4 months, love it, but have never been inpressed with the brakes,

At high speeds I had terrible judder through the wheel, so I had the fronts disc and pads all round swopped for brand spankers at toyota dealship.  It seemed to get better but a month down the line and high speed braking feels shocking again.  (judder, pulling, faid etc)

The peddle has always had a long travel and having not driven any others I cannot confirm whether this is a trait of the car.  All I do know is that when i jump in the other halfs Clio i neally put my self through the windscreen as no peddle travel is required before bite.

Whatever the problem is I'm back at toyota tomorrow to give them a sniff round.  I'll let you know the results.

p.s. appologies for this being the first post I've been milking this site for months, just never had the chance to reply.  Great forum and top geezers all round!

I had/have exactly the same problem with my 2000 SE and have had calipers, discs & pads all replaced at various times. Problems resolve for a short period and then return. Judder is particularly bad on braking moderately from around 70 to 80 and a slight wobble has started during normal driving.

Back in to the local dealership for MOT and another check out tomorrow. It has been suggested there may be a problem with the lower suspension joints(!). Will keep you posted.

I had/have exactly the same problem with my 2000 SE and have had calipers, discs & pads all replaced at various times. Problems resolve for a short period and then return. Judder is particularly bad on braking moderately from around 70 to 80 and a slight wobble has started during normal driving.

Back in to the local dealership for MOT and another check out tomorrow. It has been suggested there may be a problem with the lower suspension joints(!). Will keep you posted.

[/quote

It might be worth trying an aftermarket set of discs and pads if your having bother all the time. A friend of mine has a company called A.S. Performance, and although the bulk of his work is Subaru and Mitsibushi, he can get performance parts for most cars. He's pretty clued up on brakes aswell. I had an Audi S2 which had a Brembo brake set up, but they were crap. A.S. got me some ferodo fast road/track pads, and it totally transformed the car. Think they were around £60. You can call him (Alan) on 0191-4103770, tell him you've been talking to Paul at Mach 1 autos. I was going to see him about braided brake hoses to see if that might make a difference to pedal feel. I'll keep you posted.

P.S I'm not on commission or anything. B)

Hi, I've spoken to my local lexus dealer and he explained that it was the tubing for the brakes. After a while (ie. years) they get a bit slack and so it takes more pedal travel to get the same braking effect. I have the same thing with my car (T reg 2000) and noticed such a big difference witha recent 05 courtesy car. The mechanic said there's nothing to be worried about. Hope that helps?

New front discs went on this morning, so far so good, nice and smooth.

Toyota looked after me, the discs were "gratis" replacements from thier supplier and no charge for labour.

Time will now tell, i.e. will the vibration return?

another point, i noticed when cleaning it at the weekend that the front tyres are well worn on the outside edge (bout' 3-4 cms), mentioned this to mr toyota who said this is normal for the car and if adjusted to stop the uneven wear then the car would have a tendency to drift! Anyone else come across this? :huh:

Cheers

I had same problem with long travel and pedal sinking a year and a half or so ago.

After several trips back to dealer over a period of time, it got sorted, but it is starting to come back slightly.

After they bled it a few times, one guy finally replaced the fluid and that seemed to do the trick.

I have the same year (well Jan 2001 X reg). There is nothing actually wrong with them, but they aren't as good as some courtesy cars. I think just change the fluid regularly. Also, I think my discs at front need replacing so that won't help things.

Regarding tyre wear, they should wear on the INSIDE edge at front, not outside. If outside, then A) cornering too fast and B) front camber may be out.

hope this helps.