Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte Silver Ecu

Rob

Ok reading marks comments about the silver ECU reducing performance ( i am assuming compared to the black ECU) I was wondering how it reduces the performance ie do u get a lower HP etc as i thought all it did was to lower the RPM by about 50 RPM`s and also fault code storage etc.

anyone know exactly how it reduces the power??

My, limited, understanding is the lower rev limit helps prevent the possibility of the pre cats melting. TTE sell lit now with this ECU & decatted manifold only.

according the the BHP figures given to me by Mark mine was at 210 bhp (less NOS) which is about right

My, limited, understanding is the lower rev limit helps prevent the possibility of the pre cats melting. TTE sell lit now with this ECU & decatted manifold only.

according the the BHP figures given to me by Mark mine was at 210 bhp (less NOS) which is about right

what do you know :question: you not got one :lol::lol: and never have :lol::lol: sorry dave :D

The power curve on this engine is still climbing when the rev limiter kicks in, so anything that reduces the rpm will also reduce the power.

I don't think there are many is200 owners around that haven't cursed the standard rev limiter at some point, so having it coming in earlier is not normally a prefered option.

The ideal solution is to use the black ecu or something better, deal with the precat and rod/piston strenghth issues then raise the rev limit.

yep agree with u there about the rev limit - can be annoying seeing as u have the nuts off it to get any decent level of performance - most annoying when overtaking.

but for the normal joe bloggs SC owner, i dont think 50 rpm will make a diff. ( of course there is a power diff but not one that will be felt by the driver)

as u mention it any news/pics on those rods u were getting made up? would like to see a pic of a standard and the custom one.

The power curve on this engine is still climbing when the rev limiter kicks in, so anything that reduces the rpm will also reduce the power.

I don't think there are many is200 owners around that haven't cursed the standard rev limiter at some point, so having it coming in earlier is not normally a prefered option.

The ideal solution is to use the black ecu or something better, deal with the precat and rod/piston strenghth issues then raise the rev limit.

He he... I like that answer Mark.

Did i mension i have a Black ECU for sale ????? :whistling:

yep agree with u there about the rev limit - can be annoying seeing as u have the nuts off it to get any decent level of performance - most annoying when overtaking.

but  for the normal joe bloggs SC owner, i dont think 50 rpm will make a diff. ( of course there is a power diff but not one that will be felt by the driver)

as u mention it any news/pics on those rods u were getting made up?  would like to see a  pic of  a standard and the custom one.

TTE told me that the difference was 200 rpm but I can't confirm that for sure as we have never tested them back to back, and we never use them anyway. My point is that whatever the RPM difference between the 2 ecu's is, it is still going in the wrong direction using the silver one (from a performance perspective) as I don't recall ever being asked to make a car go slower before.

The new rods arrived last week, so over the next week or so I should be able to post a pic.

the TTE silver ECU is not intended as a performance enhancing device, it is installed to protect the engine, Thats all.

the black ECU is also not intended as a performance device, it also was designed as a safty device for the engine, only difference between the 2 is the number of functions they work with

Black- Voltage clamp

silver- Voltage Clamp, fault code store, RPM redline manipulation

to be honest, having either makes no overall difference, if you only intend to run with the Std Supercharger set up, as the ECU's were not developed to increase performance.

the TTE silver ECU is not intended as a performance enhancing device, it is installed to protect the engine, Thats all.

the black ECU is also not intended as a performance device, it also was designed as a safty device for the engine, only difference between the 2 is the number of functions they work with

Black- Voltage clamp

silver- Voltage Clamp, fault code store, RPM redline manipulation

to be honest, having either makes no overall difference, if you only intend to run with the Std Supercharger set up, as the ECU's were not developed to increase performance.

I don't quite agree with you there Mat. The black ecu wasn't designed as a safety device for the engine, it was designed as a signal clamp to prevent the standard ecu seeing too high a voltage and producing a fault code and limp home situation.

The silver ecu was introduced to reduce the exhaust gas temps by reducing the rpm, in an effort to extend the life of the pre cats for cars that get used hard.

The silver one reduces the rpm so it will also reduce the power and the top speed. The only outstanding issue is the degree of reduction.

at the end of the day guys does it really matter which one you have aslong as it works

It probably does Chris, depending on your priorites.

You want the black one if your priority is performance, or the black one if your priority is pre cat life.

Well its not really my priority, there's more important things in life than arguing what colour ecu is best.

When I come to sell my car I dont think it will be neccasary to point out that I have a silver ecu

having spoken to TTE`s technician this very morning

about what the silver ecu does

at 50rpm before the rev limiter kicks in, it opens the bypass from the compressor, in order that when the fuel is cut, it is not under boost conditions

at the end of the day guys does it really matter which one you have aslong as it works

It probably does Chris, depending on your priorites.

You want the black one if your priority is performance, or the black one if your priority is pre cat life.

so why do TTE insist on fitting the silver ecu AND removing the pre-cats

TTE do not insist on removing the precats, they NOW insist on fitting the silver ECU and fitting the steel cats (Germany only) for Full warrenty.

and Suggest the silver ecu if a supercharger is requested to be fitted that is not a latest edition kit, (when i say fitted, i mean fitted at TTE)*

*LATEST EDITION = Latest Edition as in the latest Generation of Supercharger kits as supplied by Toyota Motorsport Germany GmbH, Which contain All the upgrade parts, ECU, Spring, Multi piece pipes,and Hard Plastic Airbox

having spoken to TTE`s technician this very morning

about what the silver ecu does

at 50rpm before the rev limiter kicks in, it opens the bypass from the compressor, in order that when the fuel is cut, it is not under boost conditions

That doesn't make any sense to me Barrie :duh:

How can an ecu open something that is mechanical in operation?