Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Taking My Rx300 On A Long Journey

Hi,

I am looking to go to France with my RX300 in a couple of weeks and need some advice as I have not done much travelling by car. (The distance to my destination is approx 600 miles each way)

1/ Will my SAT NAV cover France. Or will I have to purchase a special CD/DVD? (if so could you please advise best place to buy from). My car is an RX300 SE + NAV 2005 model.

2/ I have lots of baggage and I am considering buying a roof pack. Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with this add-on? Where is the recommended place to purchase from? And is it easy to remove/store when not in use?

3/ If my car breaks down in France, will the Lexus emergency service help me outside the UK? Would they give me a replacement car while repair is taking place?

4/ I might be driving in regions where there is significant snow on the streets. Would I be ok with my existing tyres? (I would like to avoid putting special types if I can)

5/ Is there anything else I need to watch for? :)

Thanks for your help!

1/ Will my SAT NAV cover France. Or will I have to purchase a special CD/DVD? (if so could you please advise best place to buy from). My car is an RX300 SE + NAV 2005 model.

is your sat nav CD or DVD based?

The newer DVD based sat nav will work in Europe.

The CD based system will not - although I have heard of several members renting or borrowing foreign sat nav CD's for trips to different countries.

Sami,

Did you need to adjust your headlight beams for driving in France? On every other car I've had, you needed to stick a beam deflector to the lens cover, or flick a lever to activate built-in beam deflector, to block out the left hand end of the dipped beam which oints upwards to pick out signs, pedestrans etc.

On the RX, the dipped beam looks to be flat-topped all the way across, there is no in built-in deleflector, and there are no markings on the headlamp glass to aid the application of a stick-on deflector.

Anybody know the answer?

Thanks,

John.

I asked this on here when the Mk2 was first released. I also asked the main dealer and was told that they were not necessary.

Have made 2 trips to Spain so far with no problems.

There was a later post however saying that these were available from dealers but I don't know if they were meant for Mk1 or Mk2.

Thanks,

I guess they're not needed, but I'll check with the dealer.

Cheers,

John

Lexus Stockport tell me that there is a stick on kit, I need to take the car in a couple of days before the trip and they will do it for me.

So ...there you go!

John

I have just been to France and bought a stick on headlamp convertor from Halfords for a few pounds, very easy to use with good instructions. The kit has full instructions for loads of cars including the RX 300. I also bought a magnetic GB sticker as my original numberplate isnt one that has the GB already on it. Apparently in france you are also required to carry a spare set of bulbs but I didnt bother. Not sure if you have sat nav, but mine worked wonderfully in france.

to be perfectly honest guys i wouldnt bother with the headlamp kit, i have been on the continent for 3 years now and not once has anyone flashed me, i just have the lights dipped down a bit.

it might be different if u have HID lights tho!

oh for the snow, take a set of snow chains- in some areas it is compulsory to have, but if it is anywhere low lying then most of it is starting to melt now anyway, in the past few days we have had temps of approx 25C so and at elevations ot 2500M it has only been about -2

-DVD coveres europe, so no problem.

-The headlights do not need adjustment and if you do put converters on your headlights it wont change a thing with HID.

-Lexus does cover all over Europe

-you wont have problems with snow, I'm on 2000 meters now and it's 30 centigrade.

-If you want snowchaines, always good to have, get the König ones, easy to put on and off, no need to adjust them and they fit in the hidden compartements in the booth.

The wheels of the Lexus are non standard and you may need to order them. I paid around 180 euro's for them.

- Green card!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the tips everyone :D

-If you want snowchaines, always good to have, get the König ones, easy to put on and off, no  need to adjust them and they fit in the hidden compartements in the booth.

I assume that the tyres that usually come with the UK RX300s are summer tyres?

Does anyone know of any good online retailers for buying the König snowchains? Are they generic or is there any specific model to look out for?

The wheels of the Lexus are non standard and you may need to order them. I paid around 180 euro's for them.

I was under the impression that a spare wheel is available under the booth?

I've had no answers to my question regarding the roof pack . Does no-one use these? :unsure: (I have never seen one of an RX300 other than in pictures)

nearly all the snow is gone now mate,  and what is left  wont be on the roads!  i was in the moutains this morning,  and there isnt  much  about anymore.

when and where u going??

Going to Chamonix. I still want to be prepare just in case some snowstorm comes out of the blue :ph34r:

i know Chamonix quite well.

we have had really mild weather for the past 2 weeks, in fact it was 26C the other day!

unless there is a major storm u wont need chains - but saying that, it is france, they dont bother clearing the roads. stick to the main roads and u will be fine.

once ur in the village u dont need the car

u do know that u can rent chains from some online places- doesnt have to be konig ones, chains are quite easy to put on once u know how - practice before hand!

dont bother with a device called "spike spider" they are crap.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links