Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Safe Are Worn Ball Joints !

Copper

Hello.

I was told at my 50,000 service a few months ago that my lower ball joints were worn and needed replaced, I told lexus not to bother replacing them.

I cover very little mileage in a week so my plan was to have my local garage replace them before they MOT the car in a couple of weeks time.

But i now have to do a quick round trip of 250 miles, so i need to know how much trust i can put in the ball joints.

The local garage told me that the Lexus IS200 ball joints are designed not to pop out, so i would be safe enough to make the journey.

Anyone know any different ?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks.

Very hard to say without seeing them but if they were that bad i would have thought lexus would have pointed this out at the service and stressed you had them done asap .in my experience lexus point these things out when they are a long way of needing doing so i would not think 250 miles would harm much

Thanks for the input Mudzs.

I forgot to say that there is no knocking noises coming from the ball joint area.

Thanks again

Copper.

If there is no knocking noises or anything like that, how can they know that they are in need of replacing ? :duh:

Thanks for the input Mudzs.

I forgot to say that there is no knocking noises coming from the ball joint area.

Thanks again

Copper.

If there is no knocking noises or anything like that, how can they know that they are in need of replacing ? :duh:

just what i was thinking ...........thats the only time you know they need doing is when you start to hear a bit of knocking comeing from them ;) you will be ok mate

Mate, mine were flagged as red by Lexus when I hit 70k - I'm at 78k now so shouldn't think 250 miles will make a difference.

To be honest my car runs like crap at the moment and knocks all the time but I'll get them sorted in 2k when the car goes in - a friend I know had the ball joints fail on his Porsche and he nearly wrote it off but I'm hoping the same doesn't happen to me - I tend to give my car a bit more stress than most would get so you should be fine :)

• 1 month later...

I just had my 50k service and was told also that my O/S/F lower ball joint had excessive play and both front suspension arm (bushes) worn. I took the view that they would last a few more miles, given the extortianate quote received from Lexus Edgware Road. I did ask if this was typical wear and tear for a 5ok vehicle. I was told yes and more and more vehicles were being presented with such problems.... speed humps to blame?

If the wear on them was really that bad surely they would have to advise you not to drive the car at all :huh:

I would imagine they have a responsibility to road safety and to their own necks because if something failed after a service then they would be in a sticky situation if they didn't say it was unsafe

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by Lexus Tunbridge Wells that my balljoints were worn at my 60k service. They said they would last a bit longer but did I want them to go ahead anyway? Told them 'no'.

1k later - took the car for its MOT at a very thorough local garage. It passed with no faults. Asked about the balljoints - they said there was no noticeable play!

:rolleyes:

:offtopic: Should they replace the key Battery at the service? Seem to remember seeing this on a service schedule somewhere. :unsure:

:ohmy: Risky business taking a chance with worn ball joints, the weight of the car is

on these, so you have to jack up the wheel and pry at the joint to see wear.

Get a second opinion if in doubt.......if one collapses even at low speed it's a hell of a mess. :sick:

:ohmy: Risky business taking a chance with worn ball joints, the weight of the car is

on these, so you have to jack up the wheel and pry at the joint to see wear.

Get a second opinion if in doubt.......if one collapses even at low speed it's a hell of a mess. :sick:

I agree you shouldn't take a chance (I did once with a Transit van which collapsed - it wakes you up!), but there was no noise or looseness.

Obviously the MOT station did jack it up & pry it (I watched them), but why did Lexux T.W. say they were worn??? :megaangry:

I always try to get my MOT from a station that does not do repairs.

Call me a cynic but I think they are less likely to try and con you into repairs you

don't need if they don't do any!

If your MOT station were happy with the ball joints and they do repairs, the chances are they are OK or they no doubt would try to get the repair themselves.

Lexus dealer might be trying it on or just recomend replacement as a matter of routine at that mileage.

Sadly there are good mechanics and cowboys, I just hope there's the minimum of cowboys working for Boeing......... :yawn:

:offtopic: Should they replace the key battery at the service? Seem to remember seeing this on a service schedule somewhere. :unsure:

My car's over 3.5 years old now and I've still got the original batteries in all three keys. I expect some dealers will replace them every service just so that they can charge you an extortionate amount for something you didn't need.

:offtopic: Should they replace the key battery at the service? Seem to remember seeing this on a service schedule somewhere. :unsure:

My car's over 3.5 years old now and I've still got the original batteries in all three keys. I expect some dealers will replace them every service just so that they can charge you an extortionate amount for something you didn't need.

Just leave a note in the car for the mechanic, stating that the batteries are NOT to be replaced.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links