Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 400 Lcd Screen Problems

:driving: Hi Guys & Gals. You're a lucky one if you have an ageing LS400 without LCD display dimness. It's a common problem. I had corresponded with Jim Walker via e-mail and considered sending my unit for mending but USA seemed a long way. Thankfully I came across Chris Vince on e-bay ( just type in LS400 on their search ) who, in conjunction with Jim Walker , offers repairs. Sent, done and repaired withoin a week!! Working splendidly now - all back bulbs renewed at the same time. So, I recommended his services to one & all ( and NO I don't get commission!! )

Cheers,

Carlo.

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hi All Lexus enthusiast, :D

Don't put up with blacked out Liquid Crystal clock/temp Display any longer.

I've just had mine repaired by Chis Vince,I just can't recommend him enough.

I took my 1991 LS400 Mk1 to him, Chris quickly stripped out the LCD screen,

soldered in a brand new top quality screen plus replacing all theback lighting

bulbs. After all this Chris very efficiently replaced it all back in my Lexus.

This took him from start to finish one hour thirty five minutes from me driving

off with clock & temp displaying so bright and clear.

Main agent quoted me £450-650 for the above :crybaby: BUT they also said

it could cost up to £1000. :angry:

What Chris charges is as David Dickinson says "cheap as chips"

I highly recommend and many thanks to Chris Vince for his service.

Try Chris first you'll be pleasantly surprised :D

• 3 months later...

Hello all I would just like to add my thanks to Chris Vince for sterling work on my dim display service was exceptional and a very pleasant chap I would highly recommend his services

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Just bought an LS400 with this LCD problem, completely knackered, do you have contact information for the guy, im based in Manchester.

Thanks

:D Hi All Lexus enthusiast,  :D

Main agent quoted me £450-650 for the above  :crybaby: BUT they also said

it could  cost up to £1000. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, Just bought an LS400 with this LCD problem, completely knackered, do you have contact information for the guy, im based in Manchester.

Thanks

Get in touch on:

chrisvince@btopenworld.com

Regards

• 4 months later...

Thanks

Get in touch on:

Regards

Thanks

Get in touch on:

Regards

Aquasurfer this is the posting you need.

Regards,

Chris

Guys again no commision etc just had my temp and clcok screen replace by Chris Vince top chap posted it to him first class on wednesday and i have it back and working in the car by Sat morning

PS chris Postage cheque is in the post m8!!

Chris even sent back the old screen so you can see what he had replaced!

Anyway if you have a sreen issue Chris is The chap to see!

To be honest he has give me some good advice on othe rcommon issues on the ls400 too!!

Yours

Darren Fletcher

in what price range is he charging and i would have thought Prolex uk would have done something like this as its a common problem

Andy

Why go to Prolex (even if they did the repair) when chris does such a good job.

Not sure what price he charges these days.

There is a place in Sutton who charge £179.00 for mk1 and £199.00 for mk2

They also do refurbished complete dashboards for £300.00 for mk1 and mk2.

in what price range is he charging and i would have thought Prolex uk would have done something like this as its a common problem

Andy

Why go to Prolex (even if they did the repair) when chris does such a good job.

Not sure what price he charges these days.

There is a place in Sutton who charge £179.00 for mk1 and £199.00 for mk2

They also do refurbished complete dashboards for £300.00 for mk1 and mk2.

Yep Chris and Martin the Soarer boys!

Had some suspension work done to my Mk1 GS at a really sensible price.

Nice good old fashioned service from a couple of Lexus/Toyota fanatics.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear All,

It's been a while since I posted on the site, this due to retirement from the Fire Brigade and not sitting bored in front of a PC for many hours (non-ops due to a service injury).

Anyway for anyone interested, the new owner of my old Mk2 (I sold it to him 18 months ago) visited me this week, sadly it had developed the usual LS problems, no not the climate control LCD, I refurbished that and replaced the LCD during my ownership, but the dashboard lighting and fuel guage had failed, also the speedo and tacho needles were only partly illuminated.

I have been researching the dash and instrument problems for quite a while, and was waiting for a guinea pig to experiment on.

I can say that he drove away a very happy owner, many hundreds of £'s better off! As I was able to fix all of the faults he arrived with, not an easy job, but very rewarding to see the dash and needles lit up properly again.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Dear All,

It's been a while since I posted on the site, this due to retirement from the Fire Brigade and not sitting bored in front of a PC for many hours (non-ops due to a service injury).

Anyway for anyone interested, the new owner of my old Mk2 (I sold it to him 18 months ago) visited me this week, sadly it had developed the usual LS problems, no not the climate control LCD, I refurbished that and replaced the LCD during my ownership, but the dashboard lighting and fuel guage had failed, also the speedo and tacho needles were only partly illuminated.

I have been researching the dash and instrument problems for quite a while, and was waiting for a guinea pig to experiment on.

I can say that he drove away a very happy owner, many hundreds of £'s better off! As I was able to fix all of the faults he arrived with, not an easy job, but very rewarding to see the dash and needles lit up properly again.

Regards,

Chris

Hi, does anyone know how to contact Chris Vince the dash board rpair man?

Thank you

Martin

For any MK1&2 owner whose car suffers from the generic Lexus electrical defects that are spoiling their motoring pleasure.

As many of you may know (some personally) for a number of years now I have been refurbishing climate controls and clock LCD's.

I have now perfected repairs for the other common defects i.e. dash boards that no longer light up, fuel guauges that fail to read, and of course instrument needles that have died partway and no longer light up (this is a proper repair that leaves them shining like new, and not just the flourescent paint job that is advertised elsewhere).

If any owner has these problems and is interested please get in touch.

Regards,

Chris Vince

Hi Guys, Just to let you know that if you can't get to Chris & you live in the Sutton area of Surrey he is contactable on 02082862201 0r visit www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk Hope this helps as he does alsorts of repairs for Lexus.

Totally wrong Gino, I am in Farnborough Hants.

I am not associated in any way with the company you mention, in fact unwittingly, I supplied nearly all of the information they needed, to start repairing Lexus climate controls.

Having spent many months researching the subject, to identify the causes and weaknesses that resulted in my own climate control, dashboard and fuel guage failing, then rectifying the defective items, I now repair these generic electronic defects to help other owners out, by costing a fraction of the company you mention.

Thanks anyway for your kind thoughts.

Chris

hi,chris

you seem to know about the LS400/celsior and before I sort out the odd dash problem I need to sort the mot problems ie front suspension first,but Ive 5 months to sort it,its a 91 celsior on low miles and I love it, i'm capable with the spanner and just need a contact with any web sites you may know with the parts required,I paid next to nothing for the car as the previous owner went to lexus for a quote so owing to the condition I can blow some cash cos be-honest what can you buy thats got the reliability of this model,apart from the climate control(which I managed to sort from a scrapper,cos he didnt realise that it was a differant section to the radio)what causes the Cd changer to jack in.its got power to it but nothing happens when the CD buttons pressed on the head unit,local repaires have know idea,so any help would be greatly appreciated. yours Ian.

hi,chris

you seem to know about the LS400/celsior and before I sort out the odd dash problem I need to sort the mot problems ie front suspension first,but Ive 5 months to sort it,its a 91 celsior on low miles and I love it, i'm capable with the spanner and just need a contact with any web sites you may know with the parts required,I paid next to nothing for the car as the previous owner went to lexus for a quote so owing to the condition I can blow some cash cos be-honest what can you buy thats got the reliability of this model,apart from the climate control(which I managed to sort from a scrapper,cos he didnt realise that it was a differant section to the radio)what causes the Cd changer to jack in.its got power to it but nothing happens when the CD buttons pressed on the head unit,local repaires have know idea,so any help would be greatly appreciated. yours Ian.

Ian,

I have got to be honest, audio isn't really my strong point, I know that the changers suffer with problems caused by condensation, particularly if the car isn't used that often (to blow the air through it and dry the unit) which, as yours is a low mileage car may be the reason for a premature failure.

Ther are 2 main audio places I know of:

www.fixmyradio.co.uk

www.autosound.co.uk (they are the official Lexus audio repairers)

Or you can revisit the breakers.

Hope this helps,

Chris

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, Just to let you know that if you can't get to Chris & you live in the Sutton area of Surrey he is contactable on 02082862201 0r visit www.cheaptoyotaparts.co.uk Hope this helps as he does alsorts of repairs for Lexus.

Totally wrong Gino, I am in Farnborough Hants.

I am not associated in any way with the company you mention, in fact unwittingly, I supplied nearly all of the information they needed, to start repairing Lexus climate controls.

Having spent many months researching the subject, to identify the causes and weaknesses that resulted in my own climate control, dashboard and fuel guage failing, then rectifying the defective items, I now repair these generic electronic defects to help other owners out, by costing a fraction of the company you mention.

Thanks anyway for your kind thoughts.

Chris

Chris,

Following my previous message regarding the LCD and also dashboard lights etc. it seems like you are the man I need!! If you can furnish me with your contact details direct to my email address at g.rowe@ukonline.co.uk I am based at Taunton, so if I drove to Farnborough could the repairs be done in a working day?

Your prompt reply would be appreciated, I will let you have my phone number from my email reply.

Regards,

Greywolf.