Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Double Locking

Thanks Mat. Do you have a separate section on Theft Deterrent System (Alarm!) and does it tell you how to disable the 'radar sensor function'

I had a look at mine for the 2000 model.

In the keys and doors section at the beginning amongst the many pages it says:

Locking/Unlocking the Doors

Caution: With double locking system vehicles only

Never lock all the doors with the wireless remote control key when there are people in the vehicle because all the doors cannot be opened from the inside of the vehicles. If locking the doors by accidents, press "Unlock" button on the wireless remote control key.

When you push the "LOCK" button on the key, all the doors can be locked from outside the vehicle.

When it is locked securely, the emergency flashers will flash once. If the key is in the ignition switch, locking cannot be done.

Make sure all the doors are locked when you leave the vehicle.

Then it tells you about unlocking the car, then replacing the batteries. Nothing about activating or deactivating the dead locks.

Then on page 114 in the Theft Deterrent System section:

Setting the system

1. Turn the ignition key to the "LOCK" position and remove it.

2. Close and lock all the doors, trunk and hood using wireless remote control.

INFORMATION: Locking with a key will not set the system.

In order to cancel only the radar sensor function, press the lock button once again, then the emergency flashers will flash five times. In the above case, if you want to recover the radar sensor function, you lock them with the wireless remote control, the emergency flashers flash once (it functions only within 30 seconds after setting).

3. After 30 seconds, the indicator starts flashing and the system is set.

So, looks like the older models don't have a way to not set the double locking (makes life easier though), but can the newer models disable the radar sensor?

Originally posted by Matthew_McNally

Never activate the double locking system when there are people in the vehicle, because all the doors cannot be opened from inside the vehicle.

If locking the doors by accident, press the UNLOACK button of the wireless remote control key.

Shouldn't it read "and tell the people to get out in 30 secs before the car locks again!"

Djanderso???? :lol:

The sensors might me in the central light thingy - when I wash the car without switching off the motion detector things get loud when I wash the center of the roof!

Originally posted by lexicon

Does anyone know what the 2 "blobs" on the dash, at the base of windscreen in front of the driver are? I know one is for the auto-headlight sensing, but what's the other one do??

One's for the auto headlights, but the other one is for the dashboard lights. You may notice sometimes that the dash lights are on, but it's not quite dark enough for the headlights to come on? There you go........

Locks - mines a 2001 model. I tried lowering the window and pressing the 'Lock' button on the kyfob once. The doors were well and truly deadlocked, and you couldn't open them from the inside at all. Press 'Lock' once and then again withing a few seconds and the hazards flash five times to signify that the motion sensors have been turned off. If you press the 'Lock' button when the car is already locked, it just goes through the motion of locking (you can hear it click) but it doesn't alter the state of the locks.

Originally posted by ricky_is200

Thanks Mat. Do you have a separate section on Theft Deterrent System (Alarm!) and does it tell you how to disable the 'radar sensor function'

I had just put the manual away........

:D

Theft Deterrent System - Page 144

Setting the system without the radar sensor funtion.

Select this system when a put or something moving object (sic) has been left in the vehicle.

1 - Close all the doors, trunk and hood

2 - With the drivers door OPENED, push the power door lock switch to lock and then unlock three times in sucession.

Complete step 3 before 5 minutes have passed.

3 - Close all the doors, then push the 'LOCK' switch of the wireless remote control key once.

PUSH THE LOCK SWITCH ONCE TO SET ONLY THE THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM, AND PUSH IT TWICE TO SET BOTH THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM AND THE DOUBLE LOCKING SYSTEM.

OK - that sounds completely different to anything anyone has ever said here - but thats what the book says.

The POWER DOOR LOCK SWITCH is the one on the drivers side door, next to the window controls.

Originally posted by Grangey

Locks - mines a 2001 model. I tried lowering the window and pressing the 'Lock' button on the kyfob once. The doors were well and truly deadlocked, and you couldn't open them from the inside at all. Press 'Lock' once and then again withing a few seconds and the hazards flash five times to signify that the motion sensors have been turned off. If you press the 'Lock' button when the car is already locked, it just goes through the motion of locking (you can hear it click) but it doesn't alter the state of the locks.

On mine - the second press is a distinctly different locking sound.

One click is 'snick' type locking sound, then the second is a more meaty 'thunk'

I can confirm that with the facelifted (post Sept, 01) cars:

1. Pressing key lock button once locks the car and activates the alarm and motion sensor after about 20-30s

2. Pressing key lock button again within about 5s double locks the car. You will hear it locking, but different tone to that of the first lock. The motion sensor and alarm might be switched off by then, I think (could be wrong)

I have tested it once: Lowering the window, I locked it, waited for alarm to start flashing, then put my hand in, waved it around, sure the alarm went off (but it was a lot of movement!) Then proceeded to unlock the car with the button in the car on the driver's door!

Then I double locked it and waited again, light started flashing. Then went in and tried to unlock it with the button inside - to no avail. I cannot remember whether the motion sensor was working. But it was picking up that I was trying to unlock from inside. But then, there was no way you could unlock it anyway.

As for the boot. I always keep it in the locked position, so never tired to have it not, then double lock myself in, and then try opening it... anyone?

:eyes::eyes::?:

One's for the auto headlights, but the other one is for the dashboard lights. You may notice sometimes that the dash lights are on, but it's not quite dark enough for the headlights to come on? There you go........

No, I have never noticed that happen - I will look out for it.

I thought that the second "blob" on the dashboard was for detector for the remote ..... some cars have them on the rear view mirrors instead of on the dash.

The dash lights have certainly never come on themselves for me either ...

Anyway, what does the alarm actually sound like ???? :?::?::?::?: I've had mine for ages and never heard it - so I wouldn't recognise it going off in a car park :rolleyes:

For the record (and along previous threads) - my April 01 model double locks with one click, and deactivates the interior sensors on the second click (with 5 hazard flashes) :cool:

Best things is to set the alarm off (by sitting in it or leaving the window down so you can wave inside) then at least you will know what it sounds like. I did it after I'd had the car about a year and thats the only time I've ever heard it go off. From memory it had the alarm and the horn going off at the same time.

Originally posted by lexicon

No, I have never noticed that happen - I will look out for it.

I can see you all now, driving along with one hand over the sensors :lol:. It happens to mine a lot - maybe because it's kept in the garage? Try it out - stand the car, ignition on, in the daylight and cup a hand over the sensors, one by one, to see which lights come on.

Tried my alarm (sorry neighbours!). The horn sounds, as does the alarm. The sensors seem to be in the light housing in the middle of the ceiling.

Locks worked as before - press the 'Lock' on the keyfob once, the vehicle double locks (put my hand through the opened window, and couldn't unlock it manually). I don't think that there is a single lock option.

My dealer told me that you had to press the key fob twice to deadlock the car but he was telling me porky pies! It's definitely once to deadlock the car and twice to switch of the interior sensors.....I found this out after setting the alarm off several times when I've left my dog in the car :rolleyes:

Is it possible to set the 02 behaviour to deadlock on the first click like the pre-02 model? When I get my new Sport with styling kit (dreaming a bit there) I can see me forgetting to press it twice and not making the car fully secure.

Originally posted by Jimmy Ten Toes

Theres alot of conflicting info on this thread:?::?:

I think its sorted now! The is just a change in behaviour in the latest model. Previously one press double locked the car and the second disabled the interior alarm sensors. Now you have to press twice to double lock and do some fancy thing with the lock button on the arm rest if you want to disable the interior sensor.

Originally posted by javadude

Is it possible to set the 02 behaviour to deadlock on the first click like the pre-02 model? When I get my new Sport with styling kit (dreaming a bit there) I can see me forgetting to press it twice and not making the car fully secure.

I read the appropriate sections in the manual to provide some info for this thread, and never saw any hint being able to change the locking behaviours.

Maybe a dealer could?

Ask your dealer?

I've got a June 2002 IS200 SE. The manual is dated 2002. 1 press of the "lock" button locks the doors and activates the sensors. The indicator lights flash once! Press the "lock" button again and the dead bolts are activated - the sensors still remain active. So, this means you un-friendly thief can't open the door to steal the car and has to climb through the window, cutting his meat and two veg off (ha, ha, ha). On my IS, the courtesy light comes on for 15 seconds to assist - nice if its dark!

Advice from Toymota is not to deadlock with people or live moving things (pets etc) as they (the people!!) cannot cancel the deadlock from inside or open the door.

The boot can be opened with the key fob control without deactivating the alarm!

• 4 weeks later...

I am lucky enough to have owned a 2001 model and a 2002 model. The 2001 model double locked automatically on 1 press of the wireless remote system. The 2nd press de-activated the interior motion sensors. In order to double lock the 2002 model it is necessary to press the lock button twice. To de-activate the interior motion sensors you have to follow a fandango sequence using the lock button on the inside of the drivers door. In both cases the procedure was documented in the owners manual. Am I the only saddo who actually reads the manual? Anyway, the 2001 models system seemed much better and less hassle. Another change for the worse on the 2002 model (in addition to the loss of the lovely twin-tone colouring on the dashboard).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links