Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h - Too Expensive?

Hiya guys,

I have been browsing the website for a while now, so I thought it was time that I added my two cents...

I, like many of you, have 'pre-ordered' the RX400h. I have had my order in for ages now at Lexus Edgeware and am on the first batch due in June.

Now that the US launch is oh so near and the UK launch is not that far away the media interest has definately picked up. Unfortunately my dealer still knows nothing concrete!

However all the most recent magazine spots, i.e. this months Autocar, The Times and some others have had 'educated' stabs at the predicted price.

The nicest was Whatcar? with £32000 (est.) and the worst Autocar at £45000 (est.)

What does everyone think the real price will be and what will the standard specification be like?

Welcome to LOC matey, I'm sure someone "in the know" will come along shortly and advice.

Hope you enjoy your stay here @ loc ........... :P

"king of the hill" - you like the battle between Cypress Hill and Ice Cube then ? :P

Hi Colin,

I gather that this price increase is the indicative value given to dealers..ie. not set in stone.

In America they are only shipping two versions of the car for pre-order customers, do you think that will be the case here or the will Lexus ship a 400h, SE and SE-L?

I personally cannot see how they can ship a 400h as this will likely have no leather - unacceptable in a £35000+ car!

I was told by my dealer that they would have the 3 trim levels - if that turns out to be the case or not I don't know.

In the US there is a spec level increase on the 400h versions, maybe the UK models will also have better spec compared to the 300s - not that you can really have a higher spec than the RX300 SE-L apart from the better stability control which will be on all 400h models.

BMW have been selling £35k+ vehicles for years without leather as standard.

Colin,

IMHO Lexus are not yet in the same realm as BMW, Mercedes and Jaguar in terms of kudos in the U.K.

BMW seem to be able to get away with murder. Most recently their cars have been UGLY...yet they are still turning record profits and sales.

Lexus is in a position where it still needs and wants to steal away disillusioned or other customers from the above three brands.

This is why I feel that Lexus must offer a spec. increase in the RX400h. Perhaps they will include Sat-Nav in the SE and DVD rear Entertainment in the SE-L.

Thanks

Hi King of the Hill,

Funny that, I paid my deposit at Lexus Edgware Road last year, and am promised to be in the first delivery batch as well.

However they have (three weeks ago) provided me with UK full model details, exterior colour options, interior trim finish etc., so maybe you should go and see them again?

There will indeed be three specification levels in the UK. RX400h, RX400h SE and RX400h SEL. Details are too comprehensive to list here.

The only thing they cannot confirm yet is the price, and they state (as quoted by Colin above) a premium of approx. £5,000 on the equivalent RX300 model.

We will meet when collecting our respective cars?

All the best

SMALL WORLD!!!!

Thanks for the heads up...I am definately going to get on the phone to my dealer...

BTW who are you dealing with? AJ is handling my order.

When we were looking to buy our RX300SE we dealt with AJ who we foundwas excellent. However, when it came to the deal another salesman muscled in and took over, why we never were able to understand why but at that point we became unhappy with the service and the deal was awful!! so we moved to another dealer. So my advice and with only the best intentions in mind, would be to make sure AJ remains your point of contact throughout the entire process.

br

D

The UK specs I have from Lexus UK are:-

Rx400h SE-L will come with as standard: Navi System +Rear View Camera+ Bluetooth+ETA + Power diagramatic +MARK LEVINSON AUDIO + ICE! Makes up for the loss of air suspension?

Rx400h SE All the usual SE stuff. BUT Navi System +Rear View Camera+ Bluetooth+ETA + Power diagramatic +MARK LEVINSON AUDIO + ICE are all optional extras.

UK colours will be St lucia, Platinum ice, Aleutian grey, Astral Black, Cherwell Green AND Stafford Blue.

Hi King of the Hill (Muswell Hill?)

Details as listed by Damian, apart from Mark Levison Audio is not available as an optional extra on the RX400h SE. Also according to my information Persian Quarttz in a UK available colour

Are you ready for this (quoting from hard copy information in hand):

RX400h:

Cruise Control

Electronically controlled CVT (ECVT)

Radio AM/FM and cassette (8 speakers)

CD changer (6 in Dashboard)

Leather Steering Wheel and Audio Control

Aluminium inserts

Rear & Rear Side Windows Tainted glass

Rear Spoiler Small

Double Door Lock

8 Airbags (Front/Knee/Curtain/Side)

VSC / ABS / Brake Assist

HID Lamps & Head Lamp cleaners

18" inch 5 spoke Alloy Wheels

Roof Rail

Active Front Light system (HID)

Fabric seats (Grey) - no other options

Power seats D8-P4 directions

Option: ICE

RX400h SE:

As above, but: Leather seats (perforated) - Oakham, Sussex or Pembroke, Power seats D8-P8 directions

In addition:

Sunroof

Heated seats (front)

40/20/40 foldable seats

Power tilt/telescopic Steering Wheel

Memory package (seats, Steering Wheel Mirrors)

Wiper with rain sensor

Illuminated entry system

Door trim with leather stitching

Power back door system

Option: ICE, Navi System (DVD)+rear view camera+bluetooth+ETA+Power diagramatic

RX400h SEL:

As above but included: ICE, Navi System (DVD)+rear view camera+bluetooth+ETA+Power diagramatic

Key changes to the RX300:

Air suspension not available on the RX400h SEL

CTV (vs 5 speed auto) transmission

3.3 litre engine + electric motors (270 bhp equivalent)

Opening in front bumper to aid cooling of hybrid system and give a muscular stance

New 18" 5 spoke alloys

New grille

New vehicle dynamics integrated management (VDIM) system

Aluminium finish in place of wood - real aluminium for gear lever surround

Power meter replacing rev. counter in instrument binnacle.

Now all this typing may very well cost you a pint if I ever catch up with you..

All the best

Hiya Great Dane,

Thank you very much for your help, you're a real trooper!

Forget the pint, if we meet at the handover I'll have a bottle of champagne waiting for you!

Looking at the spec it seems that a RX400h SE Navigator is going to set me back £41907 - basically £42K.

Yeah this is steep, but I think I going to try and stetch the extra £2K for it because I imagine the residual values will be great.

I have to say though the colours are a bit uninspiring...just wish there was something new.. a bit special!! Oh well.... :crybaby:

I expect though that Lexus have priced the car high enough to see a small dropout on the waiting list so some people might sell their places! Not me I want this car bad... :zee:

Thanks guys B)

Hi,

Slightly off topic but there will/should be a review of 400h in next weeks AutoExpress.

Might be some more information (price wise). New vehicles in 4 x 4 sector appear to be

getting a price hike (cf new ML + 10% dearer than old etc.). All trying to 'get up' to

BMW pricing levels? :yack:

Cheers,

Dieter

so what about residuals on the hybrid ??? Will there be some worry at buying a 3+ years old one when the batteries could wear out ??? Or that the dealer will be the only one with enough know-how to fix ?

Just heard a very similar question from friend at work who has similar worries about his Mazda RX-8... again engine not "normal"...

so what about residuals on the hybrid ??? Will there be some worry at buying a 3+ years old one when the batteries could wear out ??? Or that the dealer will be the only one with enough know-how to fix ?

Just heard a very similar question from friend at work who has similar worries about his Mazda RX-8... again engine not "normal"...

People have the right to be worried about the RX-8. Already problems are being seen and the RX-7 was never that reliable.

The 400h will probably have a 7 year or more warranty on the hybrid system. Maybe in 7 years time others will have the skills/knowledge/equipment to do servicing/repairs.

People have the right to be worried about the RX-8. Already problems are being seen and the RX-7 was never that reliable.

The 400h will probably have a 7 year or more warranty on the hybrid system. Maybe in 7 years time others will have the skills/knowledge/equipment to do servicing/repairs.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of life can you expect from the batteries? Obviously they're going to have a weird charging cycle, will that compromise life? And will the fuel consumption slowly start increasing as the car gets older and batteries weaker?

BTW its funny I spoke to Dave Goodman today and he still says that they have no official information from lexus available to customers and doesn't know what you guys are on about...AJ is going to ring me tomorrow so we will see what I can prise for those sealed mouths...TBC :ph34r:  :question:

King of the Hill Ask your dealer to show you page 4 of the 28th Feb 2005 'Lexus RH400h Grade Overview'. It has all the spec details above, the colours and pricing. Under pricing it says 'Indicative premium of £5000 over equivalent RX300'

Cheers!

I've been speaking to a couple of the Lexus guys who have been out to Barcelona to the staff induction for the new models. On the RX400h the comment was that it accelerated very smoothly and handled just like the RX300SE (coil springs). They said that the you would be able to notice the difference in power but its less than they expected.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links