Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Laptop Advice

stevebish

Hi all,

Looking for a new 'desktop replacement' laptop at the moment, want minimum 17" screen with full size keyboard including number pad. Max budget is £1300, preferably nearer £1000 though!

The main contenders are HP's ZD8000 range, Acer's Aspire 1804WSMi and AJP's D870P. The AJP is based on a Clevo chassis.

I like the HP but you can only get it in the uk with 4200 rpm hard drives. In the US you can 'build your own' ZD8000 and add loads of extras! At the moment the 7200rpm drive is not an option, it comes and goes apparently.

The site HPshopping.com, will only ship to the US. Does anyone know if a US spec machine will work in the UK? Is it only the power supply that could be different?

If it does work, can anyone advise how I could get one to the UK??

Any advice on the Acer and AJP is also very welcome!!!

Thanks

Steve

US spec kit works fine, a guy at work has just brought back a nice HP from a trip to the states, has a remote control for the TV/DVD playback, nice bit of kit. I used to sell a lot of Acers to schools, they are 'supposed' to be one of the few actual manufacturers in the world, again good kit, better priced than HP.

Thanks for the advice guys. Just checked out Alienware, basic system with 17" screen is £1388, with the extras I can get in others machines it goes up to over £1500! Over 5kg's too!!

Anyone else with good laptop experience and advice?

Anyone know how I can get around the HP delivery problem?

Cheers

Hi Steve, just a bit of info for you. I have just bought a new laptop (January) as a desktop replacement from www.dell.co.uk. It is the best thing i have ever bought. Spec' is as follows:

Inspiron 9100.

Pentium 4 with HT 3Ghz.

512 mb Ram.

60 gig hard drive.

128 graphics card.

15.4" widescreen monitor.

CD & DVD ReWriter.

Wi-Fi enabled.

XP Home.

All-in-one printer, copier, scanner.

This cost me £1060 - absolute bargain :D

You can customise your spec on the website and your system is built and delivered within a couple of weeks. I can't rate mine highly enough!!!

Hope this is a help

Chris :winky:

The site HPshopping.com, will only ship to the US. Does anyone know if a US spec machine will work in the UK? Is it only the power supply that could be different?

The keyboard will also be different, no '£' key and some keys such as @ and " will be swapped round which can be a pain. I had a US laptop for several years and its fine if its the only machine you use, but a pain if you switch between that and a UK keyboard.

For delivery from HP sounds like you'd have to know someone who lives in or visits the States, unless there is a retailer who will ship to the UK, but then you could get stung by Customs!

I too have a new Dell laptop, got it last month and its great.

Ah, had forgotten the keyboard layout!! Cheers for that Ricky! Shall have to stick to UK machines!

The only Dell with 17" screen doesn't have a number pad and when specced to compare with the AJP tops £1500!

I think I'm gonna end up going for the AJP, much easier upgrading at build rather than afterwards and won't invalidate any warranty.

You may be able to buy a UK keyboard as a spare part and replace the US one. Most manufacturers will sell them.

The big AJP doesn't seem to use a mobile processor which I guess is why the Battery life is so poor. I guess it depends on what you are using it for, it's not exactly light either.