Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yes Or No?

Right,

at present i have a rapidly failing Rover 200 (nice car, good power for a 1600, and massivly hacking me off!!!!)

Its time to change and rather than go for another small cheap(ish) car i was thinking about alternatives.

So an IS 200 came by, missus liked it (thats a big hurdle) and i was just going to guage peoples opinions as to which years/models to avoid etc. what it is like for insurance and general stuff like that.

I dont know whether or not i would modify it, possibly just bolt on styling stuff like a bit of carbon here and there and perhaps a new set of wheels

So just general opinions please, bearing in mind that i dont want to be spending a fortune fixing things,

and just to add a bit more, what sort of prices do they go for, probably looking to get something with a good history and only a couple of years old.

Cheers hope to hear something back soonish!! all very exciting :hehe:

I think the major milestones were 2000, 2002 and 2004 for upgrades..

a '99 could be yours for about £7k, up to £19k for a year old minter...

It all comes down to what you want to spend? but they are very reliable, predictable, not to mention as at home on a twisting B-road as a motorway cruise...

Avoid the S, definately worth going for the SE or sport. Get the sport if you want the aluminium pedals, tinted rear windows and limited rear slip differential, otherwise get the SE.

With a new model coming out, don't know whether deppreciation costs have hit us yet? If so, makes it all the more cheaper for you.

Happy :driving:

I used to have a Rover 200 1.6 si. The car was reliable but hated the look of it. I bought it mainly for the girlfriend. :huh:

So got rid of the girlfriend and got rid of the car. I bought an IS200 S 2001 51 reg 30,000 miles for £10,000. Great car really big improvement on the rover.

If you cant afford alot to spend you might save yourself a couple of grand buying an S. I know everybody says "stay away from an S", but if your buying aftermarket wheels, then i dont really see a great difference in the difference with an SE.

Apart from sunroof ( the car has a/c). And the seats electric and half leather.

I say go for it mate :D Insurance might be a bit high obviously depending on your age.

Regards,

Adie

If you want reliability - you can't do much better! Lexus came top of the JD Power satisfaction survey 4 years running. There is very little that goes wrong except for a problem with the ICE which Lexus extended the warranty to 5 years for. Original wheels tend to corrode due to laquer not being up to british weather. Lexus will replace for around £65 each.

Servicing not cheap but then you don't have to do repairs in the meantime. 60K service is expensive - around £500 but you can get up to 15% off if you become a LOC gold member & if you buy Lexus' two service package - even cheaper.

LOvely cars & you get loads of toys! Not the fastest from the lights but go well especially once you get above 4500rpm.

Only downside is fuel consumption - but then still no repairs!!

yeah all sounds good i got a quote from elephant for the sport at 900 squid which i thought was pretty good considering what i have payed for the 216,

so far as i can tell it is only superficial differences between the models, all come with the same engine (which i can see is tuneable)

I would be tempted to change the wheels, standard=poo

probably wont do the exhaust again, unless it was just a standard upgrade and wont blow my bllx off!! Been there done that twice, lovely sound!!!

i noticed that the head-unit looks to be double din, or is it just an oversised standard unit? would probably just swap the speakers over for a half decent set, might be severely tempted to go for some tasty carbon though!!!!

So the S is a bit of a No No (why exactly??NOVICE ALERT??) and it is down to the SE and Sport- if it is just the pedals and stuff might as well get the sport!!

Are there any problems with them (Bar the alloys)?? i mean like the rovers infamous head gasket problem?

Do TRD do any sportie parts for them?

Your help is so much appreciated, i'm getting quite excited the thought!!

There is nothing wrong with the 'S'. I have one! Basically you want to get the best model that your budget can stretch to! Obviously at the time my budget would only stretch to the S model. But im not bothered, the way i saw it the wheels where going to get changed anyway and they all have the same engine! That is unless if you go the altezza route!

The s is the basic model, if you have the money get an SE and if you can stretch to a Sport then get that.

Good luck with finding a nice one! :unsure:

Jason

Yes mate,. TRD do lots for the Lexus from shortshifters, bodykits etc etc.

Do a search on the site to find the info on the various model IS and what to look for when buying one.

Also have a look in the garages to see what other people have done to their cars. Some lovely IS in there mate.

Regards

Hi

The only other difference between the SE and Sport is the Sport is Group 13 insurance and the SE is 12.

I think the Platinum Ice is the best looking :winky:

Yeah you should defo go for a Plat Ice SE :whistling:

................and the limited slip diff, two tone steering wheel, tinted rear windows, alloy scuff plates and pedals, 10mm lower springs and spoiler.

If you want reliability - you can't do much better! Lexus came top of the JD Power satisfaction survey 4 years running. There is very little that goes wrong except for a problem with the ICE which Lexus extended the warranty to 5 years for. Original wheels tend to corrode due to laquer not being up to british weather. Lexus will replace for around £65 each.

Servicing not cheap but then you don't have to do repairs in the meantime. 60K service is expensive - around £500 but you can get up to 15% off if you become a LOC gold member & if you buy Lexus' two service package - even cheaper.

LOvely cars & you get loads of toys! Not the fastest from the lights but go well especially once you get above 4500rpm.

Only downside is fuel consumption - but then still no repairs!!

The quality of the alloys is about the only thing that give cause for concern. When I was at the dealers Tuesday just gone there were another two guys coming in for replacements under warranty - 2 year old RX and an IS almost 3 years old coming for his SECOND set :crybaby:

yeah all sounds good i got a quote from elephant for the sport at 900 squid which i thought was pretty good considering what i have payed for the 216,

hi, dont jnow your circumstances regarding insurance, but im 21 with 0 year no claims and have my girlfriend on the policy and its only 900 for me on the IS 200. thats with norwich union. maybe its worth giving them a try if you have not already.

as for the IS 200. personally i dont think you will find a better and more reliable car for the money.

good luck! :driving:

I got an S with 40K for 9.5K quid last year. A lot of car for the money. You cant go wrong with one. Just drove 700 miles this weekend - so glad it was in an IS!!

Cheers

hi, dont jnow your circumstances regarding insurance, but im 21 with 0 year no claims and have my girlfriend on the policy and its only 900 for me on the IS 200. thats with norwich union. maybe its worth giving them a try if you have not already.

as for the IS 200. personally i dont think you will find a better and more reliable car for the money.

good luck! :driving:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links