Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

De-restricting an Altezza RS200 Z

Charles Binns

I had a weekend away to France last weekend, while the rally was on, boy was it fun.... There were allot of cars on empty autoroutes doing rediculous speeds....then onto Germany

Anyway, after I had fantastic fun with BMW 320,328, on de restriicted roads I had loads of fun testing the car out.

Anyway to cut along story short I came to realise that my car rev clock goes to 9 thousand RPM but it's limited to 7, and the top end limited to 130 something, The car had loads more left in it, very dissapointed. I took the car to the Lexus/Toyota dealership in derby today and they said they wouldn't de-restrict it :(

has anyone successfully modified their cars ecu ?

help needed please :(

• 1 month later...

I'm told that the speed restrictor was taken out when my speedo was converted - but I've only taken it to 160 kmh so I can't comment.

What was it like - was it still pulling like a train at 180? I guess they'll do about 200-210 but I've never had the guts to try!

• 1 month later...

Any joy on this yet as I just got my Altezza, limited to 120 -130 mph, this boy's got a bagful of speed to share out, need to de-restrict quickly otherwise I'll be eaten up by those BMW type people spoiling for a fight !!!! -how do I do it ? it is simple ? expensive ? somebody's gotta know !!!!

Hi,

I just bought a little unit that will de-restrict the Altezza, it's self-fit, with instructions, though I will probably get an expert to do it !!! didn't cost too much but the SVA guys said that you need two units to be added to de-restrict, and they had only fitted one to pass the SVA test.

I will let you guys know how it goes but I am apparently heading towards speeds of 165mph +

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am as well interested in the end of this story de-restricting the Altezza.

I ve got RS200Z and I recon it is restricted, as a really weard thing starts happening when I get to 112 Mph, it almost like someone strats pushing the pedal back and the car would start slowing down, I have had it twice and at the same speed, so it must be limited.

Appreciate if you can let me know how it went with your cars.

Cheers

Vlad.

• 1 month later...

Actually, there are a number of devices made by the Japanese tuners. I am currently using the SARD Attack Meter. This installs on the dash and hooks up to the ECU box. Asides from giving you a wealth of information e.g. max revs and speed since start up, stopwatch functions, shiftlight functions, it also removes the 180km/h JDM speed restrictor. Dunno about the RS200s you guys have but the speedo on mine reads up to 180km/h. That's cause in Japan all cars are speed restricted to this maximum. Anyway, I didn't have mine installed myself relying instead on a professional to do it for me. That's coz you wanna be able to calibrate the speedo readings to the speed readings on the SARD device. That's a bit tricky if you DIY.

But in the end I got the 180km/h restrictor removed, and the RS200 will happily get up to 210km/h very easily before tailing off in acceleration. I've taken it up to an indicated 220km/h in fifth gear. And it was still pulling like a train. Didn't have the space to change up to sixth and see where she'd top. My guess is she'd have done 230-235.

BTW, another device would be the Apexi GP meter (I think this is what they call it). Or you can install the HKS F-CON or the TOM's TEC 2 replacement ECU although this option is expensive.

I'm from Malaysia and I bought the SARD attack meter can be had to around RM600 (about 100 pounds)

Actually, there are a number of devices made by the Japanese tuners. I am currently using the SARD Attack Meter. This installs on the dash and hooks up to the ECU box. Asides from giving you a wealth of information e.g. max revs and speed since start up, stopwatch functions, shiftlight functions, it also removes the 180km/h JDM speed restrictor. Dunno about the RS200s you guys have but the speedo on mine reads up to 180km/h. That's cause in Japan all cars are speed restricted to this maximum. Anyway, I didn't have mine installed myself relying instead on a professional to do it for me. That's coz you wanna be able to calibrate the speedo readings to the speed readings on the SARD device. That's a bit tricky if you DIY.

But in the end I got the 180km/h restrictor removed, and the RS200 will happily get up to 210km/h very easily before tailing off in acceleration. I've taken it up to an indicated 220km/h in fifth gear. And it was still pulling like a train. Didn't have the space to change up to sixth and see where she'd top. My guess is she'd have done 230-235.

BTW, another device would be the Apexi GP meter (I think this is what they call it). Or you can install the HKS F-CON or the TOM's TEC 2 replacement ECU although this option is expensive.

I'm from Malaysia and I bought the SARD attack meter can be had to around RM600 (about 100 pounds)

I had mine derestricted and my speedo has been adjusted and reads up to 180mph (yes mph, not kmh) at about '4pm' on the dial. 'Midday' on the dial is 100mph, whereas middya reads about 80 on the UK spec car. Not sure what was done to de-restrict, but it was done with the SVA by a mate who helped import it.

The top speed of the the RS200 is 157mph, and I've taken it to 140 :whistling: with it still having plenty of life in it, especially as due to the high revs, the VVTi is in full pelt in the power-band, so to speak.

It produces a gloriously satisfying wail! :)

You guys aren't wasting that glorious racing engine with an auto box are you? :blink:

157mph? Somehow I don't think so. Not from 210bhp. A 330i beemer gets up to around 150mph (according to most car mags) and it has roughly 230bhp. Given a 0.29 drag coefficient and the sort of frontal area on the Altezza (quite similar to the beemer), I think we're talking tops 143-145mph.

Mine's a 6 speeder. Pretty much a standard engine with TOM's flywheel, a HKS replacement filter element and HKS super header exhaust manifold with cat removed.

157mph? Somehow I don't think so. Not from 210bhp. A 330i beemer gets up to around 150mph (according to most car mags) and it has roughly 230bhp. Given a 0.29 drag coefficient and the sort of frontal area on the Altezza (quite similar to the beemer), I think we're talking tops 143-145mph.

Mine's a 6 speeder. Pretty much a standard engine with TOM's flywheel, a HKS replacement filter element and HKS super header exhaust manifold with cat removed.

Well real world physics are another issue, I'm talking actual theoretical engine performance, here. I know the 157mph is roughly an accurate figure, but I can't find the website I checked when I was buying - it was a long time ago.

But look at it from a simple maths point of view:

The IS200 and the RS200 have the exact same gearbox. The IS200 has a 6500 rpm redline, the RS200 has roughly a 7750 rpm redline.

We know the IS200 has a top speed of 134mph at 6500 revs in 6th gear, so roughy (given final drive and gear ratios are the same):

134/6500*7750 will give us the RS200's THEORETICAL top speed of 159.8 mph. :hocus-pokus:

I'd be pretty confident that in the real world you'd be able to see 150+ out of it on a decent track without too much wind. Don't forget also the power curve means that at the top of the rev range the RS200 sees most of it's power, whereas BMW's tend to have a powerband shifted slightly lower, meaning that the power drops away quite a bit around the redline meaning drag becomes more of an issue. Like I said, I've done 140 :ph34r: and and felt that car had plenty left to give....

Asam

I've no doubt about 140. As I mentioned on my previous post I did 220km/h (137) in 5th at which point the engine still has lots remaining. I just ran out of space otherwise I'd have loved to see what she'd do in 6th.

You simple math assumes a linear relationship between bhp and top speeds. Not so. Given that the higher the speed you go, the drag increases by the square of speed. (Read that somewhere). And given higher rolling resistances at higher speeds, you'll need more than a linear increase in bhp to reach the 159mph. In that case you'd need NSX sorts of power, with its lower frontal area aerodynamics and its super efficient gearbox and drive train (transverse mounted mid engine / rear drive has less power loss). :blink:

No standard car I know of can hit the rev limiter on top gear. 7750 rpm in 6th? No way. Not unless you change to a lower final drive. (TRD 5.1 final drive anyone?) Standard gearing always makes sure that top gear is for cruising comfort.

I've no doubt about 140. As I mentioned on my previous post I did 220km/h (137) in 5th at which point the engine still has lots remaining. I just ran out of space otherwise I'd have loved to see what she'd do in 6th.

You simple math assumes a linear relationship between bhp and top speeds. Not so. Given that the higher the speed you go, the drag increases by the square of speed. (Read that somewhere). And given higher rolling resistances at higher speeds, you'll need more than a linear increase in bhp to reach the 159mph. In that case you'd need NSX sorts of power, with its lower frontal area aerodynamics and its super efficient gearbox and drive train (transverse mounted mid engine / rear drive has less power loss). :blink:

No standard car I know of can hit the rev limiter on top gear. 7750 rpm in 6th? No way. Not unless you change to a lower final drive. (TRD 5.1 final drive anyone?) Standard gearing always makes sure that top gear is for cruising comfort.

Erm. I don't think you read what I wrote properly. Nothing to do with the relationship between bhp vs top speed. My calculation was a simple MECHANICAL calculation from speed (mph) to revs (rpm) to give THEORETICAL top speed. Like I said THEORETICAL.

And I said:

I'd be pretty confident that in the real world you'd be able to see 150+ out of it on a decent track without too much wind.
Don't forget also the power curve means that at the top of the rev range the RS200 sees most of it's power, whereas BMW's tend to have a powerband shifted slightly lower, meaning that the power drops away quite a bit around the redline meaning drag becomes more of an issue.

Conceding your point entirely, so what are you arguing about? All I'm saying is that you seem to be a little pessimistic about the performance of the RS200. It can do 140 with ease, as you agree, so why not believe it could make 150+. Neither of us have done this (track day anyone :yahoo:) so it's moot.

Anyone taken a standard Altezza to it's limit, I'd be interested in finding out :unsure:

ive actually had my car on the red line in 6th gear and thats with the 6 pot motor.........its easily achivable :yahoo:

and that was at a recorded speed of 143.7 mph

the most fundimental limitation is the gearing

why was rover able to get a mgf fitted with a 1.4litre engine but high gearing upto a terminal speed of 257mph at bonniville :geek:

Hi there,

got the same RS200 6MT motor as Kavey , and yes I have hit between 150-155mph and backed off. It's the biz.

Not sure about yer maths but I have done it. I was so busy checking if it was true that I didn't even know which RPM I was in. I don't see the argument here. Just don't mess with the Japs. Well, mine has been played with a bit in Japan, and am sure Kavey's had too. Will let you know when I get the chance to nail it fully to the carpet. It could well be the 157MPH Kavey said.

My boss drives a merc and he had a similar arguement with me. He claimed a four pot normal aspirated motor can't have more than 210 horses. Again, just don't mess with the Japs, full spot.

Well I guess I won't argue with that. I guess I'd really have to max out my 6th gear to see it for myself some day. :)

My argument is that given aerodynamics (frontal area and drag co-efficient) and gearing effects (gear ratios and wheel size and rolling resistance) for a vehicle, there is a certain horsepower required to overcome these forces at a certain speed.

What I'm saying is that the RS200 (love it as much as I do) does not have the required horsepower to overcome these forces at 150+mph. Particularly aerodynamic resistance. The additional horsepower required to overcome aerodynamic resistance is roughly squared as speed increases. That is to say as speed increases you need more than a proportionate increase in horsepower to overcome aerodynamic and rolling resistance.

Example. Most car mags clock the NSX at around 160 mph. If you look at the NSX, it not only has 280bhp but it's frontal area is extremely low as compared to the RS200 resulting in greater efficiency. Plus it suffers less transmission losses. It is these combined strengths that make it able to reach that top speed. The RS has none of those advantages. The NSX is Japanese too.

Another case is the Civic Type-R. In Japan it is rated at 220ps (roughly 210+bhp). It's power is the same if not more than the RS. And yet it's top end is no more than 146mph. And being FWD, it suffers less transmission losses as compared to the RWD RS200 meaning it has more horsepower at the wheel (where it counts).

Logically then the RS200 should have roughly this sort of top end. Putting it another way (Civic) 210bhp = 146mph, (NSX) 280bhp = 160mph. 10% increase in speed requires 33% increase in horsepower. Yes these cars are not directly comparable to the RS200. But look at it closer, the RS200 does not have the NSXs other advantages in aerodynamics and transmission nor does it have 280bhp. So again, logically speaking it just can't do 157mph or whatever it is.

Well tell you what, if any of you make it to Germany in the RS, then test it out by recording the time it takes to go from one kilometer marker to another when the car's maxed out. That way you can roughly calculate the top speed. I'd love to know what it is. If the RS200 can really top out at 150mph+ then I'm a happy chappy and I'll pick a fight with the Type-Rs and 330is over here. 328s and 325s have already been scalped! :D

as I posted earlier today, my RS had been played with a bit in Japan. Check the details on my signature and so has Kavey,s.

I have never driven the "normal" 210BHP RS so can,t say, but it will surely go past 145MPH. The pic is blurred but I really had to raise the car after four months cos it was so low I found it difficult to park in public garages etc. So on you aerodynamics resistance, there,s your answer. Look at the pics. The car is fully kitted out.

But believe me son, I have done it. I probably have to hit the Autobahn from Koblenz to Frankfurt and set a camera in the dash to prove it.

Would you believe it would hit 120MPH in fourth. When the dealer told me they did it on the M20 on the way from the SVA, I didn,t believe it till I tried it out meself. The car is a revver.

Tyre Rs would roar past you at the lights but man on the Mway it,s not that straight forward for them.