Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Where To Put Reversing Camera?

Hi Guys, :D

I some of you may know I've been meaning to make a Car PC for a looong while. I'm now getting on with it and have decided to put in a reversing camera.

The main reason is simply because the cameras are pretty cheap. I can get 120' wide angle reverse image cameras off eBay for around $50! The other reason is that my screen (7" Xenarc) can have two inputs and will automatically switch over to the input with the new live feed. So in theory if I wire the camera up to the feed off my reversing lights the display should switch to the camera.

Now the thing is I am not sure where to put it? I don't really want to make any holes at the back. I was thinking maybe on the numberplate holder or around the spoiler?

I already have reversing sensors so it won't be used to judge distance - just really to show where the back bumper is in related to the other car when reverse parking etc...

Pin the tail on the donkey! (ok...ok...the IS) :P

This is an OLD PIC (when I had alloy trouble). Since I'm at work I cannot really put a better one up.

lexus_problem.jpg

Thanks for the help!

Anees

PS Before anyone comments - I do now have IS200 badges to go on! :P

I can't beleive you have put IS300 badges on the back :ohmy:

If you look through the site somewhere ..... I'm sure there are pics .... of another member placing the camera in where the lock is.

I can't beleive you have put IS300 badges on the back  :ohmy:

If you look through the site somewhere ..... I'm sure there are pics .... of another member placing the camera in where the lock is.

The picture was taken when I first bought the car! It was because I got them cheap off eBay US (where they don't sell the IS200).

I looks :tsktsk: so I've got some IS200 badges now. :D

i put mine in the boot lock, check my links out below you'll get an idea.

i originally had it facing down towards the bumper from the boot lock, but since it was not a wide angle lense all that could be seen through the tv was about a foot and a half of the bumper.

same amount of size & part directly under the number plate :duh:

i put mine in the boot lock, check my links out below you'll get an idea.

i originally had it facing down towards the bumper from the boot lock, but since it was not a wide angle lense all that could be seen through the tv was about a foot and a half of the bumper. 

same amount of size & part directly under the number plate  :duh:

Thanks!! Excellent reply.

I've seen that camera on eBay US! :D

How did you get it to fit in the boot lock? I don't really want to do it that way - but it seems like its turning out to be the best way to do it.

I do like mounting it above the number plate too.

Also - whats the camera like with low-light conditions? The camera I am thinking of getting needs 2LUX illumination to see at night.

How much help is the camera when parking/ parallel parking?

Can you see your bumper with the camera?

I have seen some that are night cameras and are infra red - but they don't display the reversed image!

is your parking that bad mate  :tomato:  :D  :lol:

Trust you to come up with that!! :P

My other mates have said the same! :D :lol:

Its just that its pretty easy to do, the screen I have automatically switches to input two when it detects a signal on it -so it should work well. Just for the cool factor really Gord (I mean I already have parking sensors - what more do I need?!!! :whistling::whistling: )

How did you get it to fit in the boot lock? I don't really want to do it that way - but it seems like its turning out to be the best way to do it.

i'll take it apart in the next few days and take some pictures :winky:

------------------------

I do like mounting it above the number plate too.

i originally had it facing down towards the number plate from the boot lock but could only see the bumper directly below the plate, not the corners which are the main points when reverse parking :blush:

-------------------------

Also - whats the camera like with low-light conditions? The camera I am thinking of getting needs 2LUX illumination to see at night.

my camera has night ir's on them. it's not that bad (take a picture at night over the next few day's too), but if you can't see even with the night vision, when are the rear fog's gonna come in use B)

--------------------------

How much help is the camera when parking/ parallel parking?

i don't use the camera, you can't beat my reverse parking :whistling:

the camera is just a toy in the car, my nephew love's watching the car's fading in the distance when i've passed them :P

all i need is 7 and a half paving stones between two car's and i'm in :zee:

my street is ridiculous for parking :tsktsk:

----------------------------

Can you see your bumper with the camera?

not at the current position but yes when facing down toward's the plate, again, i'll take a picture over the next few day's

-----------------------------

I have seen some that are night cameras and are infra red - but they don't display the reversed image!

neither does mine, my tv screen has the function to reverse the picture :hehe:

Hey peeps,

This is my first post on here, as i picked up my first IS200 at the weekend.

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on what i've got in my boot.

The owner beforehand kindly removed the standard stereo and installed a Kenwood KVT 920DVD and a couple of screens in the rear headrests.

There seems to be a Kenwood amp in the boot (think it's 5.1 amp) and additonally some kind of black box with loads of ports and cables etc.

I'm hoping i can plug in a camera to aid with my lovely wifes reversing.

Wondered if it'd be easy - and if the black box would be were i'd plug the video signal into.

cheers in advance for any help.

Adam

Edited by ScarFace

Hello Adam,

Welcome to LOC :D

Have you got any pictures of what is in your boot maybe ? so members can possibly see what you are explaining ........ might help for your replys.

Cheers.

sure thing - will do my best to get a couple of pics tonight. not sure how much it'll show though as it's all in neat and tidy without too much on display.

also off topic is my gold member login totally separate to this login? (if so how would i get the little logo associated with this logon)

Thanks

Ads

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links