Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cameras On The M4

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M4 Speed Cameras - J14 to 18 - 'Live' from 13 April

BEWARE!!!!!!

From tomorrow one of Britain's busiest motorways will be monitored in the first attempt to enforce the 70mph limit. Shortly after midday tomorrow (13th April), drivers on the M4 in Wiltshire, between junctions 14 and 18, will face a £60 fine and three penalty points for speeding.

The following URL has the details

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1565657,00.html

Motorway driving at over 70mph? You're on camera

By Ben Webster, Transport Correspondent

THE last haven where drivers can creep over the speed limit is being invaded by cameras.

From tomorrow one of Britain's busiest motorways will be monitored in the first attempt to enforce the 70mph limit.

Until now police have struck only when motorists drive well over the limit on motorways. With their central barriers, gentle curves and grade separated junctions, motorways are considered to be far safer than any other road.

Shortly after midday tomorrow, drivers on the M4 in Wiltshire, between junctions 14 and 18, will face a £60 fine and three penalty points for speeding by as little as 9mph.

Cameras in marked vans will be operated from bridges over the motorway. Police and civilian operators will use laser guns on vehicles when they come within a kilometre of the bridges. Under the rules governing mobile cameras, the vans must be visible from 100 metres. But most drivers will be caught long before they come within that range.

More than half of all cars on motorways exceed the speed limit and a fifth travel at more than 80mph. Existing patrols tend to book only motorists who exceed 85mph.

Last night motoring groups accused the Wiltshire & Swindon Safety Camera Partnership of seeking to raise revenue without offering any evidence that safety would be improved.

Motorways are five times safer per mile driven than the average road and eight times safer than urban A roads. There were 9 crashes per 100 million vehicle kilometres on motorways in 2003, compared with 76 on urban A roads. Most of Britain's 6,000 speed cameras are on A roads. On motorways they usually enforce only temporary speed limits during roadworks. The southwest section of the M25 has cameras on gantries to enforce the lower speed limit in operation during congested periods.

Under Department for Transport rules, camera partnerships can deploy mobile cameras only on stretches where there have been at least two collisions resulting in death or serious injuries per kilometre in the previous three years.

The Wiltshire partnership, which includes the police and the county council, will argue tomorrow that the casualty rate on the M4 is higher than on the average motorway and meets the level required by the department. There were 18 deaths, 69 serious injuries and 641 slight injuries between junctions 15 and 17 between 2001 and 2004.

Signs on the M4 and approach roads will alert drivers that they are entering a speed-trap area but they will not know where the vans will be parked. A spokeswoman for the partnership said that motorists who slow down for the yellow Gatso cameras before speeding up again would be caught by the M4 cameras: "People aren't supposed to slow down just because they have seen a camera. They are supposed to slow down because it's the law." She said that the trigger speed for the cameras could be as low as 79mph and "could change from day to day". The exact speed will remain confidential to prevent drivers from setting their cruise controls just below it.

The RAC Foundation accused the partnership of using irrelevant crash statistics to justify deploying cameras. Edmund King, its director, said that the casualty problem on the M4 was caused largely by people driving too close to the vehicle in front, stopping on the hard shoulder, overtaking without checking mirrors and failing to slow down for fog.

ROAD SAFETY

Motorways account for a fifth of road traffic. In 2003, 184 people died on motorways compared with 1,890 on rural roads

The average speed of cars on motorways (71 mph) has remained about the same since 1998

The proportion of cars exceeding the 70mph limit was 57 per cent in 2003, up from 54 per cent in 20

why did they not just limit the top speed of cars years ago or plough the speed camera money into coming up with a device that limits cars speeds in certain areas .seems daft to me you can buy a car that do,s 150 mph but cant use it to go over 70mph .to me it justs proves the fact they are their to make money out of us .

why did they not just limit the top speed of cars years ago or plough the speed camera money into coming up with a device that limits cars speeds in certain areas .seems daft to me you can buy a car that do,s 150 mph but cant use it  to go over 70mph .to me it justs proves the fact they are their to make money out of us .

prob because people like me can fit de-limitors!!

why did they not just limit the top speed of cars years ago or plough the speed camera money into coming up with a device that limits cars speeds in certain areas .seems daft to me you can buy a car that do,s 150 mph but cant use it  to go over 70mph .to me it justs proves the fact they are their to make money out of us .

prob because people like me can fit de-limitors!!

But then they would make that an offence and the fine for that would be high .

:angry: Prescott was a member of the RMT in 1997 when he was made Transport Secretary and he put a stupid bus lane on the M4 to make people travel by train.

:angry: Red Ken imposed the Congestion Charge and has now increased it to £8 to make people travel by train.

:angry: Gordon Brown has reduced the amount of free petrol you get with fuel duty to about 1 part petrol to 4 parts duty and will reduce it even further in September. This is even though trains are less efficient even when the seats are all fully occupied.

:angry: They've already been caught putting speed cameras where there aren't a lot of accidents.

:angry: This is the latest to extract cash and try and force people on :tsktsk: trains which are now 10% less punctual than before the Hatfield crash. Services have been cut, fares have rocketed and tax payer's subsidy has tripled.

The legislation to ban radar and laser detectors has been postponed because parliament has been dissolved.

Come May, they'll be attacking drivers again.

That was a party political broadcast by the :tsktsk: off party.

anyone know what the deal would be if ur driving a uk reg car (registered to you) but u have a foreign license and ur uk license has been returned to DVLA so no uk license.

scarface/ dodgy ?????

OR u have a foreign reg car/foreign license and its obvious ur english :D

heard about the M4 cameras on the news this morning. What a :tsktsk: !

I hated the fact when they were doing "road maintenance" between Jct4 and Jct5 of the M1 they had those "dummy" cameras, with warnings of speed cameras. How the hell am i supposed to do 40mph, on a 3 lane motorway?! :angry:

The road has since been cleared up, and the signs been removed. But WHY oh WHY have Cameras on the motorway?!

Does anybody have any statistics on road traffic accidents on Motorways, as compared to built-up areas? I'd be interested to know the facts and logic! :blink:

it's time for a revolution, right, everyone from tomorrow leave their vehicles at home for a week and catch public transport, lets see how quick the government collapses. no buying petrol, no buying alcohol, no smoking, grow your own fruit & veg, keep chickens, barter with a farmer for meat and milk. As this will never happen, we must continue to smile whilst being politely mugged by the government. And we have cameras on motorways because motorists have been criminalised so much that it is now become acceptable and easier to catch paying 'criminals' without any effort, than to spend money chasing the real scumbags, this is not the fault of our police, as they do the best they can with what resources they have, i personally think all cameras should be banned and police numbers increased, after all, a drunk driver doing 78mph through rush hour M-way traffic past a 'safety camera' gets away with it, on the other hand, an experienced driver drivingpast the same camera at 79mph at 3.a.m. gets done......justice?

I really am starting to get p :tsktsk: d off with anti-motorist campaigns like this, enforcing a 30mph zone around a school is one thing, but forcing everyone to drive at 70 on the motorway, thats just stupid! They are going to make so much money it makes me sick. I'm not sure I could physically drive at 70 unless there was loads of traffic

To the BMW dealer who told me the other day, 'what would you do with adaptive cruise control in London?', I think with the way things are going, it would be money very well spent :angry:

:iraqi-info-minister: :tsktsk:

you may wish to view my post on autoexpress.co.uk forum regarding this latest outrage.

It is crass stupidity on the highest level perpertrated by the vested self-interest few on the vulnerable and easily penalised masses.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION :tomato:

'They' realised that the majority of GB is so sheep :baaa: like that they can get away with this tax-----------and don`t for an instant think its some philanthropic device for the good of humanity. If they were that serious about reducing death tolls we`d all be in limited 600cc hybrids, and motorbikes would be banned.

Lets face it, petrol is widely acknowledged as hitting 90ppl in June, the oil companies are making obscene profits, Rover execs get shameful perks, and petrol has GONE PAST the levels that caused the last strikes/protests.

And what is everybody doing? SWEET FA. :tsktsk: :tsktsk: :tsktsk:

Speed cameras don't work, foreign licensed drivers are not chased......so well done middle Britain, we`ve allowed the 'native' populace to be right royally rogered yet again all under the outrageous pretence that they`re saving lives.

What utter utter tosh and i can`t believe they are still reeling out this spin.

I`d have more respect if they just came out and said it`s a tax and raised revenue the proper way as opposed to labelling it as a caring nanny state.

Just wait till India and China start really ramping up oil consumption, then watch anarchy ensue----5years too late in this country no doubt :D

:crybaby: With all the camera's that are going up all over the place,heres a great website that helps people understand there legal rights and even how to get off when you get caught! has some good stories on there about real cases!!!

www.pepipoo.com :mat:

(only use if you are wrongly accused of speeding :winky:

They will be on all the motorways before you know it, screwing money out of all of us all the time ba :tsktsk: rds.

Ive got speeding cars screaming through my small town nightly, I said to one of our local cops, do something about it, he said they CANT they cannot use a speed gun at night because its against HEALTH AND SAFETY :unsure::unsure: what kind of sh :tsktsk: is that ????, this bloody countrys gone down the drain, run by useless bas :tsktsk: ds

WHO THE HELL DO WE VOTE FOR ???? THERE ALL CRAP.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links