Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200 Vs BMW Z3 2,8

Hi Guys,

I have driven my IS 200 on the A5 German Motorway on the long three lane Straight between Darmstadt and Frankfurt Airport, behind me a BMW z3 2.8 who wanted to pull me on the right lane, I was in fifth gear and pushed my car to the limit till around 190kmh where the Rev was hitting slightly over 6000 rpm and pushed into sixth gear. I was pulling over to the right middle lane to let the BMW z3 pass, but he could not until around 210 kmh, when his higher top speed allowed him to over take me, so I conclude that the IS 200 is not that slow. Reading all your comparisions with Audi and Merc, well we sure do not have to fear. Besides my car does not have a supercharge and I was able to go head to head with a z3 which has around 195 bhp and its light weight.

I am getting an AirinxII Filter which should give the car more boost. if I had the seventh Gear maybe I could have driven against the Z3 until full speed.

Besides, I have driven the car in sixth gear until limit, until the automatic control slowed the car down at around 230kmh according to Speedo and 6500 rpm. How high can you guys rev up the car ? Would it be harmful for the engine to rev it up like that constantly, as I am driving that way everyday at about that speed

:smilegrin::yes::smilegrin:

Anyway awaiting feedback from you.

Cheers

Mike

well I think he was pushing hard as he was using his lights to try to get me off the left lane and well in a normal situation everyone will try to pass someone as quick as possible if you are using some lights from far behind what might be the case is that he did not shift down to fourth gear when he was trying to over take me

I own an IS, I have driven a 2.8i - it would annialate us in any gear from any speed. Perhaps at that speed he didn't want to mess his hair :lol: or he couldn't change gear as he was on the phone :o or he was simply alongside as he didn't want to go too fast or was checking out the 'funny non-german car' :eyes:

Oh - and as for him being disadvantaged by the 5 gears rather than 6 - the gearing on the IS is pretty poor - waste of time IMO - would have been better having a decent 5 speed box rather than a 6 speed box where all the gears are so low. I understand having the first few gears short for acceleration - but they are silly close, and with an engine that runs out of steam so soon, pointless - then the 6th gear is not high enough so the car is not as efficient as you would expect with a 6 speed box as the 6th is where the normal 5th would be - perhaps lower than some as the revs are running higher than I would expect on a family/exec saloon car at 80mph.

When I had my IS200 on the Autobahn last year I surprised a lot of other drivers with the performance. Flat out I was keeping up with just about everything else (my nerve started to go at about 130mph though:lol:). I don't think I managed to out accelerate anything near a 2.8, but several "smaller" engines saw my dust! Mind you I felt sorry for the 1.6 Opel Astra that was desperate for me not to pass and when I did he did everything to try and keep up with me!! :D

I mean sure i did not mean to outaccelerate a 2,8 but it was not too easy to be outaccelerated. But I have to admit I drove at the very limit, had a fully serviced car, nearly empty fuel and I was using Optimax. My car was light and it was a flat road. I pushed 4,5 and 6th gear to the limit....

Easily to handle however is the

200k Kompressor

VW Gti V5

Audi A4 TDI 130bhp

VW Passat TDI (huh do not even try)

BMW 320,320 d,

Cheers,

Mike