Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anees's Car Pc Thread - Advice And Info

Hi All,

I thought I would document my Car PC and its install into my IS200 to help other owners thinking of doing the same thing.

Also I hope some of the ICE Kings could offer some advice as needed.

I am pretty well covered on the computer side - no problems; the trouble I have is with the car side. Before starting this project the most advanced thing I had done on my car was install my HID's! :blush:

Hope this is informative and helpful. :D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Components

7" Xenarc 700TSV Touchscreen monitor

The best and most reliable touchscreen you can get..

700TSV%20web%20-%20front.jpg

Shuttle SN41G2 V3

I didn't want to go with a mini-ITX install, I wanted to use a MicroATX motherboard and maybe make a custom case for it in the tyre well. I then thought about the possibility of dual monitor outputs. Also I needed a motherboard that could run 800 x 480 resolution (the native resolution of the Xenarc). After looking and looking for a board that met my needs, I decided I would forget it and go with a Shuttle system instead after seeing a nice install over at MP3Car. The Shuttle has the advantage of being pretty small, onboard nForce2 Chipset with DUAL VGA OUT :), SATA, Firewire - infact it was perfect!

18194.jpg

Opus DC-DC 150W PSU (Shuttle Version)

I knew that the only way to do this job properly is to get the best power supply possible, hence I bought the Opus - its expensive but should be worth it. It looks after the car Battery, automatically starts and shutdowns the PC and a host of other things. The special shuttle version just goes straight into the case

SFX_small_120.jpg

160Gb SATA HDD

Should be enough space for ALOT of MP3s, Movies, Software etc ;)

Slim Laptop Slot Loading CD-RW/DVD

I plan of having this mounted under the heated seats controls so I can put in DVD's and also burn a few CD's in the car (my techie mates will go mad! :lol: )

slim-8124.jpg

Slim USB 2.0/Firewire Slim Enclosure

This converts the drive into USB/Firewires so I can run a cable to the front of the car. Long IDE Cables are a no-no!

slimenc.jpg

MSI Bluetooth Dongle

To be used to link with my phone and Bluetooth GPS

logo.jpg

Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS

I don't plan on using this GPS with the Car PC for long - it is really used with my Pocket PC, but its ok to test. I don't want to use Bluetooth because I don't think its as reliable as a USB device. The GPS supports Xtec2 so its can get fantastic fixes. I can have it in my glovebox and I've had 6 - 7 Sats! Its Amazing - just wish it could be cabled!

fortuna-clip-on.jpg

Ultra GT Compact Keyboard Suite

Smallest RF Wireless keyboard and mouse I could find. Its fantastic quality and the best thing is that the reciever is powered by the USB Port - so no extra power is needed.

UltraGT-MBK.jpg

Linex USB FM Transmitter

This is just a temporary way to get sound into the car. I REALLY hope the Prolex AUX-IN is almost done so I should have great sound, but as a (very - I hope) short term measure I can live with this. The quality is :ohmy: but managable. I also have a tape adapter, but I don't want to use that really - just looks :tsktsk: !

USB_cut_out_150w.jpg

Shuttle 54Mbps Wireless

Got this small add-on to shuttle - it plugs into a USB header on the shuttle motherboard so it saves me an extra thing sticking out the case and also a PCI slot. The antenna is ok - but I plan on getting something MUCH more powerful ;)

add_wireless.jpg

AthlonXP Mobile 2400+ Processor (45W)

Obviously with the PC running in the car, power and heat are concerns so I bought this mobile cpu from eBay. When I put it into the shuttle it only ran at 900Mhz Max. This was becuase the shuttle motherboard did not support adjusting cpu multipliers in BIOS. I got around this by using the "Wire MOD" to short certain pins in the CPU socket so that they unlocked the multiplier I needed. Took bloody ages with tweasers to do - but finally managed it. I then left the Shuttle running Prime 95 for two days straight without a crash - so I knew it was stable and working well. The CPU now runs at 2.0Ghz

AthlonXP-M_logo180x80.gif

2 x 512Mb Samsung branded DDR400 Ram

Overkill I know - but I read that the nForce2 chipset runs much better running dual memory. SO I thought I'd get a gig, I have allocated 128Mbs to the onboard GeForce4 MX GPU on the Shuttle - this is to help with dual monitor functions which I plan on running in the future. The Samsung memory is quality and seems to be one of the few that is on the compatibility list for the Shuttle.

187z278.jpg

Software

Now their are alot of frontends available for a Car PC that try to make it look "stock". I have played around with a few of them, but the one I like the best is:

CentraFuse

Its abit slower then the others - but I don't care since I have power to spare! I think it looks fantastic and has been the most stable in testing.

I can get a Lexus skin for it to look factory fitted, but I actually like the one that comes with it:

p1.jpg

p6.jpg

The software is still under development but its my favourite. Just need an 800 x 480 skin for it however!

Map Monkey

Not sure how long I wil be using this software. This is basically Destinator 3 for PDA converted using the SDK into a PC version. It looks fantastic - I'm just not convinced of its routing quality compared to my current favourite Tom Tom. A lot of side by side testing will have to be done before I ditch Tom Tom! I really hope its good because its free - ish;)

2d.jpg

3d.jpg

This is an area where the PC falls down compared to the PDA, in the UK we don't really seem to have many decent Sat Nav applications that run on a PC AND are usable on a 7" TFT. I am awaiting for Co-Pilot 8 to be released (has a 3D view), but it looks really expensive!.

I am running Windows XP too along with VLC Player and the Kazza Codec pack.

nice spec B)

I have worked at places where they have provided lower spec machines than that - for that matter, not even my server has a gig of RAM.

great thread - please do keep on updating it ;)

Thanks mate.

I KNOW the Ram is too much - but can you ever really have too much ram?

It only cost my £26 + Vat ( Trade account ;) ) for the Ram so I thought I may as well get the full gig. The extra ram module (according to a power calculator) only adds an extra 3 - 4watts to the power needs so I thought I may as well.

I use a pretty old PDC server at work and that only has 256Mb Ram!! :lol::lol:

The Nforce2 Chipset on the Shuttle is also optimised for Dual memory setups and the onboard Nvidia is again going to benefit by having 128Mb allocated to it.

Also I thought that since I have the ram I could actually play a few oldish (Unreal Tournament 2003 etc) games too - I have the power! :D

I had the slimline DVDrom under my heated seat buttons

using the USB cable should be fine, unless you have a slot drive, you may find you have to move the gear stick out of the way to get the discs in and out.

Have you already got your Touchscreen? Ive got a brand new black one for sale

I had the slimline DVDrom under my heated seat buttons

using the USB cable should be fine, unless you have a slot drive, you may find you have to move the gear stick out of the way to get the discs in and out.

Have you already got your Touchscreen? Ive got a brand new black one for sale

I've already got the touchscreen thanks Brett. Had it for almost a year!

I do hope you and Fargo stick around however - yourr Car PC installs were AMAZING! :D

Not thought of doing one for your GS ? :P

Yes I intened to put it in my GS but because it has a nice screen in there already I didnt want to spoil the look of the car, So I got a mac mini with the intention of using the satnav screen for a display and using one of them spinny wheels for selecting songs etc.

but then I got made redundant so Im putting it on hold, may even need to sell some things to keep up the repayments on the car.

my touchscreen developed a fault, so i sent it back and got a brand new one unused.

I decided to post this here rather then MP3Car simply because its much friendlier and I feel more at home.

I got an extended 5m set of cables today for my Xenerc from the US, so that should easily go to the front of the car.

What I do still need is the Sat Nav housing so I can put the screen in it. I REALLY cannot afford to leave the screen on display and I don't want to have to keep mounting and unmounting it - but I will do until I can find the housing.

Yes I intened to put it in my GS but because it has a nice screen in there already I didnt want to spoil the look of the car, So I got a mac mini with the intention of using the satnav screen for a display and using one of them spinny wheels for selecting songs etc.

but then I got made redundant so Im putting it on hold, may even need to sell some things to keep up the repayments on the car.

my touchscreen developed a fault, so i sent it back and got a brand new one unused.

Sorry to hear that mate :( Hope something turns up soon.

I was considering the mini mac - ITS SO TINY.

But I just prefer the PC and are more comfortable with it - plus the OPUS is far better then using a DC adapter for the Mini Mac, and then ofcourse the other problem is that their is no decent GPS Sat Nav software available for the Mac.

Looks like a great project you've started there mate. Good luck and keep us updated. Could you also do a cost of equipment and installation, for those of us who might want to do the same? :D

Looks like a great project you've started there mate. Good luck and keep us updated. Could you also do a cost of equipment and installation, for those of us who might want to do the same?  :D

Thanks mate! :D

Sure will ...... but this was supposed to be a cheap project - I don't want to face up to the reality of what I may have actually have spent! :blush::whistling: :o

looking good my man,, you got pretty much most of it sorted,.

dont know if youve seen my webpage on my install, may be of some use.here.

my original LOC thread is here

i did installed the main board in the tool tray, and installed the screen in place of the oem radio (and then some)

good move on the opus by the way..although it seems that he 90W versions seem to stop working when the temp drops.. opus are aware of this, dont know if the 150W is affected.

Looks like a great project you've started there mate. Good luck and keep us updated. Could you also do a cost of equipment and installation, for those of us who might want to do the same?   :D

Thanks mate! :D

Sure will ...... but this was supposed to be a cheap project - I don't want to face up to the reality of what I may have actually have spent! :blush::whistling: :o

I know what you mean. I was quite shocked and upset when i saw in my garage how much i've spent on mods :ohmy::sick:

looking good my man,, you got pretty much most of it sorted,.

dont know if youve seen my webpage on my install, may be of some use.here.

my original LOC thread is here

i did installed the main board in the tool tray, and installed the screen in place of the oem radio (and then some)

good move on the opus by the way..although it seems that he 90W versions seem to stop working when the temp drops.. opus are aware of this, dont know if the 150W is affected.

THE MAN!! :D

I have spent hours on your site - your install was just brilliant. I loved the small touches such as bringing the status, power and HDD LEDs to the front, and putting the USB port in the ash tray at the front.

The PC in the tyre tray looked superb too. I loved the Plexiglass 'L' lego and the custom screen job - master class!

I just don't have your skills on the car/DIY side to do anything like as good and make it look so integrated - thats why I've decided to go with the Shuttle system. I have been meaning to do this for almost a year, so I just ran out of patience and decided to get on it it!

Hope you can give us some input when needed. :D

I think that my Battery is on its way out - the car is struggling to start in cold weather as well as it does in the warm. The voltage seems to be at the 10v mark.

With the Car PC in mind, should I get a special more powerful Battery or will a normal batter such as the BOSCH Silver serve me well? I did a quick search earlier and ready about these fancy batteries (which I really do no know anything about) which cost ALOT.

I don't fancy spending over 100 quid on a Battery! Its not something I had planned on. :duh:

All I will be running in addition to the standard IS sound system is, the Car PC and possibily in the near future two 6.5/7" TFTs in the head rests if the nView Dual view works well.

When the car is off their shouldn't be anything drawing current from the Battery - but I may leave the GPS unit powered???

maaan,, i had NEVER done any liquid plastic fab work before,, not even fibreglass, the screen was my first attempt. so you can jolly well do it lol.

any help i can give lemme know.

just one tip, run a 20 core (or so) cable from the front to the back, so you can add the leds and switches as and when needed (for future expansion) that way you aint gota keep running cables everywhere.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links