Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

According to the owners handbook, the GS300 Mk1 weighs over 2,000kg, yet can only tow 1200kg. My wifes little Citroen Xsara weights 1154kg but can tow 1100kg, why is the Lexus towing capacity so low compared to it's actual weight?

Any ideas?

Mark

the auto should also have a cooler fitted for towing, so suspect it  has to do with the extra loads and heat involved with the auto transmission.

Just looked up the MkII and it can tow 2000kg, can't understand why such a difference between the two models. :duh:

well.. you cannot buy them mate, no one makes them.. I did research one cmpany but i was advised the tow bar was pants.... however.. mine is fabricated.. when finished you just pull the bolt out and remove the stem. Then place a plastic cap. All you see is a small square cap underneath. Looks neat.

hi look at the brinks / tow sure web site

i was looking for a bar last year found mine at brinks

with removable ball £205 and no cutting bolt on.

good luck looking

regards

andy.

Cheers, I'll take a look. However, if someone wants to sell me a second hand one cheaper I'm interested.

its not for sale yet and I did not start the thread.

so it doesnt need to go in the for sale bit.

I chose not to use Brinks... wanted something that look more beefy to handle the job.

Well there are a few of you who tow, so can you give me an idea of what the GS is like as a tow vehicle?

Have you had an oil cooler fitted?

tow bars smack of caravan owners and i hate being behind them :yack:

According to the owners handbook, the GS300 Mk1 weighs over 2,000kg, yet can only tow 1200kg. My wifes little Citroen Xsara weights 1154kg but can tow 1100kg, why is the Lexus towing capacity so low compared to it's actual weight?

Any ideas?

Mark

GS weight is 1700Kg not over 2000Kg.

Not sure why the series I has such a low towing capacity. The series II can tow 2000Kg

GS weight is 1700Kg not over 2000Kg.

Not sure why the series I has such a low towing capacity. The series II can tow 2000Kg

I'd spotted that after I posted and thought I'd got away with it. I think the 2,000 was the gross max weight.

Either way it's very low.