Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Parking in Disabled Bays

Well thankyou very much! My wife is a disabled driver. And on many occasions when we have gone shopping in her car we cannot get to park in the "disabled bay" because other people who are NOT disabled are parked there. Usually because it is nearer the entrance and they don't have to walk far on there 2 good legs!!!! But to park there because your car may not get scratched then that is okay!

I am not disabled and I like to look after my car but I do NOT park in DISABLED or Mother & baby Places. They are there for a good reason. For badge holders.

Well thankyou very much!  My wife is a disabled driver. And on many occasions when we have gone shopping in her car we cannot get to park in the "disabled bay" because other people who are NOT disabled are parked there. Usually because it is nearer the entrance and they don't have to walk far on there 2 good legs!!!!  But to park there because your car may not get scratched then that is okay!

I am not disabled and I like to look after my car but I do NOT park in DISABLED or Mother & baby Places. They are there for a good reason. For badge holders.

Back you up there mate, really :tsktsk: me off when people park in disabled or family parking spots who shouldnt. Should be clamped or towed.

Well thankyou very much!  My wife is a disabled driver. And on many occasions when we have gone shopping in her car we cannot get to park in the "disabled bay" because other people who are NOT disabled are parked there. Usually because it is nearer the entrance and they don't have to walk far on there 2 good legs!!!!  But to park there because your car may not get scratched then that is okay!

As i said, i have a disabied badge :hehe: you dont get one if you are ok :hehe: but you do if you need one :winky:

Gord, badge holders okay. My wife isn't wheelchair bound or severely disabled. She was in a car accident a few years ago and had injuries to her back. If we don't use her car we sometimes use mine and her badges (perfectly legal) I have got some really funny looks. One guy said to me there is nothing wrong with you!!! He was an old guy (disabled one leg) So I didn't want to just sayF..off I shown him my wifes badge with her photo (she was with me obviously) and he apologised. It's just that some people really are in bad shape and need to park close to the store or exit cos they can't move as quick as us.

Gord, badge holders okay. My wife isn't wheelchair bound or severely disabled. She was in a car accident a few years ago and had injuries to her back. If we don't use her car we sometimes use mine and her badges (perfectly legal) I have got some really funny looks. One guy said to me there is nothing wrong with you!!! He was an old guy (disabled one leg) So I didn't want to just sayF..off I shown him my wifes badge with her photo (she was with me obviously) and he apologised. It's just that some people really are in bad shape and need to park close to the store or exit cos they can't move as quick as us.

ok mate :winky: lexus is 200 bad boy then :nuke:

i too will NEVER use a disabled bay to park my car, even if there are no other bays, it is one of the most inconsiderate and antisocial thinks a driver can do, if you worry about your car that much, take a taxi or a bus shopping, leave the car in the garage, but please don't use disabled bays. :angry: (unless you carry a badge, obviously)

Pleeeeeaaaaassse don't park in disabled or parent and child spaces unless you qualify. It really :tsktsk: me off if I'm with my dad and we can't get a disabled space (he's a badge holder) and he has to struggle to get in and out of the car as there's not much space.

As for parking in the parent and child spaces, grrrr. It's probably because people park there when they shouldn't, that cars get scraped!!! Have you tried getting a toddler and a baby in a car seat out of the car in a normal sized spot?!?!?!

Please be more considerate :blush:

I would never park in a disabled bay (unless I had a disabled person in the car with badge etc.............(As a matter of fact I think we should adopt the American way of dealing with offenders for this.....remove ppls licences))

But I often use parent/child parking..................and before anyone complains, I shop pretty late when there are loads of slots still avail.

I would say though, that if I did have to shop during more busy hours, I would still be very tempted to park in one of these slots as they just don’t make spaces big enough for modern cars, and its not as if the shop will pay for damage done to vehicles in stupidly small spaces.

Aren’t parent/child spots more of a privilege, than anything else?

I see too many STUPID ppl who don’t give a toss for others property!

I would never park in a disabled bay (unless I had a disabled person in the car with badge etc.............(As a matter of fact I think we should adopt the American way of dealing with offenders for this.....remove ppls licences))

But I often use parent/child parking..................and before anyone complains, I shop pretty late when there are loads of slots still avail.

I would say though, that if I did have to shop during more busy hours, I would still be very tempted to park in one of these slots as they just don’t make spaces big enough for modern cars, and its not as if the shop will pay for damage done to vehicles in stupidly small spaces.

Aren’t parent/child spots more of a privilege, than anything else?

I see too many STUPID ppl who don’t give a toss for others property!

I have three children aged 5, 3, and 0 and NO, parent and child spaces are not a privilage. When you are trying to take out three children you cannot just open the door slightly they have to be opened fully, it is more than likely the people denting cars in the main car park are the parents who cant get in a parent and child spot and have to open there doors fully into yours. Bare this in mind. If you were in a wheelchair and could not park in a disabled spot because they were all taken by people who 9 times out of 10 are too lazy to walk a couple of extra feet, wouldnt you be tempted to accidently scrape your wheelchair all along the side of that nice car which shouldnt be there, like wise a pram or trolley carrying children can be pretty damaging too. I have in the passed blocked in people illegaly parked and gone on my 1 hour shop. When i come back you normally find some idiot sat in car, normally a young kid who has just run in for a packet of fags, not happy but not complaining because the :tsktsk: hole no's he shouldnt be there and looking at the smoke coming from my ears probably thinks he better off saying nothing.

i always park in disabled spaces and parent and childs

for this reason

another clever one that parks in the disabled dont you know how hard it is with some one in a wheel chair spent half my life pushing my wife

think of others mate if your that woried catch a bus

You do get P&C badges in some supermarkets. I'm with Lexi1 on this. When I don't have the kids, I park as far away from the entrance as possible to minimise chances of car being whacked etc. When I have the kids I try and park in the P&C bays as it's loads easier. Personally, think that people should be fined for parking in disabled and P&C bays when not entitled to do so.

As for chilling, guess Adie you don't have kids or disabilities?!

Can you tell I had a ***** time trying to get parked up at nightmare Asda today?!!!

not sure about the rest of the uk but i assume its along the same lines as cornwall, a lot of people there do not pay any attention if it is a dsabled bay or not - why u may ask?

well seem that the easiest reason is that most people u see here that hold disabled badges seem to be perfectly healthy, ie running down the street, lifting bags of cement and doors in/onto thier cars etc ( just look at B&Q on a weds) and this is quite common. aslo see quite a few people parking in the disabled spot then putting thier running gear on then run off into the distance - disabled? i dont think so!

I would never park in a disabled bay full stop .and i totaly disagree with the parent and child spaces ,i have two girls aged 5 & 7 and thier legs work fine .why should we be able to have bigger spaces that are ALWAYS nearer the entrance just because we have kids .and to be honest why take a kid in a pushchair with you to asda's .surely it is easier to wait for your partner to come home and one of you have the sproggs while the other do,s the shopping ,i mean it aint like a day out at chessington is it although i think some familys treat it that why .makes me laugh when you see mum and dad and three kids all walking around the supermarket just to buy some food .totaly unnessacary in my book

I would never park in a disabled bay full stop .and i totaly disagree with the parent and child spaces ,i have two girls aged 5 & 7 and thier legs work fine .why should we be able to have bigger spaces that are ALWAYS nearer the entrance just because we have kids .and to be honest why take a kid in a pushchair with you to asda's .surely it is easier to wait for your partner to come home and one of you have the sproggs while the other do,s the shopping ,i mean it aint like a day out at chessington is it although i think some familys treat it that why .makes me laugh when you see mum and dad and three kids all walking around the supermarket just to buy some food .totaly unnessacary in my book

So what your saying is, i should park in a normal space with a baby who cant even crawl yet, undo her from the car seat through a partly opened door because of restricted space and then drag her by one hand through the gap of the door and the car body, and no i am not being stupid, when parked in normal spaces gaps can quite literally be this tight. Also you say you have two girls aged 5 and 7, thats fine. What about the people with 3, 4 or more children, dont you think a young mother posssibly on her own with baby in hand, and trying to also control 2, 3 toddlers should have to walk further than nessasary, maybe have to cross a couple of roads in strong winds, rain, ice, etc. I would agree that maybe they should be called parents and baby spaces and i do appreciate the concern that we all have for the possible damage to our cars, but the bottom line is these bays are there for a reason.

It seems to me that the only answer to this problem is wider parking spaces, so that we can all leave our cars safely and not dread going back to them, to see the 'damage-of-the-day' dent.

I would pay extra for wider gaps - certainly cheaper than the £350 I had to cough up recently to fix dents caused be other people in car parks. Maybe we should demand Lexus-only floors in multi-storeys; it seems to me we are the only people who actually care about our cars!!

Amanda

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links