Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insurance Question

NickF

On my car insurance, I can drive other cars with the owners consent (third party only). My question is, does this car have to have its own insurance policy on it?

I was always under the impression that if I went out and bought another car, I couldn't drive it under the 'driving other vehicles' clause, but having looked at my policy, I can't find anything that says that the car would need its own insurance.

Can someone clarify what the situation is here? :question:

I borrowed my son in laws car for a day a few years back, whilst mine was in the garage. Rang up my broker and asked to insure it for the day,after checking my insurance details, he said my policy covered me to drive it but only third party ,but I could pay extra to cover me fully comp for the day,Can't rememger how much it was but it wasn't much

My question is, does this car have to have its own insurance policy on it?

Yes I believe it does.

a car does need its own policy and can'tbe in your name either i tried this when i had 3 cars at one point and found out i drove uninsured :huh:

Nick, if your policy states you can drive another vehicle, with the consent of the owner; the vehicle IT'S SELF must have a valid insurance policy.

IE the owner of that vehicle, must have insurance for it.

UNLESS

You have a Motor Traders policy, and you can drive any vehicle, regardless of it having insurance or not.

Funny you ask this, a mate of mine rang me the other day to ask this ........ It's all do to with money mate, stops people getting insured on a Metro / Mini type car .... then buying a high insurance group car .... and driving it around.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Regards,

Nick, if your policy states you can drive another vehicle, with the consent of the owner; the vehicle IT'S SELF must have a valid insurance policy.

IE the owner of that vehicle, must have insurance for it.

UNLESS

You have a Motor Traders policy, and you can drive any vehicle, regardless of it having insurance or not.

Funny you ask this, a mate of mine rang me the other day to ask this ........ It's all do to with money mate, stops people getting insured on a Metro / Mini type car .... then buying a high insurance group car .... and driving it around.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Regards,

That is what I thought, but there is nothing in my policy to say that this is the case. Is there a law to say that every car must have its own insurance, hence no mention on the policy?

That is what I thought, but there is nothing in my policy to say that this is the case. Is there a law to say that every car must have its own insurance, hence no mention on the policy?

By Law, to drive a vehicle on a public road it needs to be

Taxed

Tested (if older than 3 years)

Insured

So yes, there is a law .... under the road traffic act stating that you must have these three. :D

By Law, to drive a vehicle on a public road it needs to be

Taxed

Tested (if older than 3 years)

Insured

But it IS insured though, isn't it, as long as you're driving with the owners permission you're covered by your own policy?

Here's what it says on mine:

The Insured may also drive for third Party cover (Section 1. of the Insurance) a private motor car not belonging to him/her, not registered to him/her and not hired to him/her under a hire purchase agreement, in respect of which no insurance is afforded to him/her under any other Insurance applying to such car.

Provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence.

That tells me that if, for example, i drive my stepfather's car, his insurance policy does not cover me for anything whatsoever, so its existence is irrelevant.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links