Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Economy

kev230k

I have recently purchased a 03 (UK car) SC430. The previous owner added a set of custom exhausts, and although they look really good and sound excellent my fuel consumption is down to 15-16mpg max. It seems I am putting £70-£80 a week in petrol in the car. I am tempted to go back to the Lexus exhaust but dont want to rely on brochure figures of fuel economy. I would be very pleased to here what the fuel consumption is like for SC430 owner with the standard exhausts. So please dont hesitate to add your comment

I have recently purchased a 03 (UK car) SC430. The previous owner added a set of custom exhausts, and although they look really good and sound excellent my fuel consumption is down to 15-16mpg max. It seems I am putting £70-£80 a week in petrol in the car. I am tempted to go back to the Lexus exhaust but dont want to rely on brochure figures of fuel economy. I would be very pleased to here what the fuel consumption is like for SC430 owner with the standard exhausts. So please dont hesitate to add your comment

What exhaust is on it. Blitz, Toms or TTE?

Have you got the original exhaust.. if not I might be interested in swapping mine for yours. Ive no idea what mpg I get TBH I hardly use my SC, Ill have alook on my car see what it says. Anyway if your interested in my exhaust its only done 7k.

My SC430 the most economical car I own, got a Range Rover 4.6 and just bought a V12 5.3 Jag :duh:

I get between 25-26 mpg for mixed motorway/local driving. It's been pretty constant over the 40k miles I've driven it.

But I'd be the first to admit that the car can encourage generous use of the right foot !

:whistling:

I dont have the origional exhausts. The exhausts on the car are 'long life exhausts' the custom exhausts and this one was tailored for my sc. It gives an excellent really powerful sound. I am tempted to do a swap where abouts are you located could perhaps organise something :s It is only my greed that is pursuading me to possibly swap

If you look at clublexus for gas mileage, theres alot of threads and alot of them also have aftermarket exhausts. I think 90% of all sc430's are sold in Florida and California. Will give you a better idea if its worth changing back.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php?searchid=133107

Im in Sutton which is south London. I read somewhere that a full exhaust from Lexus was around £1500+. So I dont think you would be saving money on fuel costs if you have to spend that much. Anyway Id rather have a fat exhaust :0)

• 2 years later...

Intown fuel consumption is around that figure. For a very slight improvement use higher octane fuel and regular use of injector cleaners. To achieve around 20 mpg.

Guest inicol63

Hi guys i use mine on a road and get 23 per gallon.

This increase when i use motorways or on long runs.

Asif have you bought your car yet?

Ian

Hi guys i use mine on a road and get 23 per gallon.

This increase when i use motorways or on long runs.

Asif have you bought your car yet?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I bought my car at the end February, from a car dealer in Stockport, " Dace motor co." Quite a few niggles. Electric aerial, interior lights, tyre pressure warning light, damaged rear tail pipe, swimming pool in the boot, cam-belt due, parking sensors. All of which have been successfully corrected, apart from the reverse parking sensors. Oh the Battery failed twice, maybe due to being parked up at the garage for a long period. "Battery aid" tablets may have hopefully remedied this. At the moment most of the mileage is in the rush hour in Leeds, hence 16-17 mpg. Although the initial drive from Manchester to Leeds showed 37 mpg. The mileage showing was 111622, the previous service showing 91000. Unfortunately showing the neglect of the vehicle. Having owned two LS 400s I may be able to revive the V8 to better mpg.

Thanks, Asif

kev, i'm from teeside too. is kev 230k your plate? i'll look out for you, where abouts? i live in billingham.

asif, how did you get better mpg out of your LS400's?

Hi Mat,

Two of the ls400s were petrol only and I found 3000 mile oil changes effected the ease of starting and helped on consumption. The third ls400 had a gas conversion costing £1280. Unfortunately I ignored the rule of running the engine on petrol every third tank. Resulting in shattered valves, ouch! 25-27 mpg was the average around town even when they reached 200000.

I'll have to wait and see how I can improve on the SC.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took delivery of my SC430 and get 19 mpg in Town sort of driving which is pretty juicy

Hoping to do better on a country run with any luck

Best

SmokeyMo

kev, i'm from teeside too. is kev 230k your plate? i'll look out for you, where abouts? i live in billingham.

asif, how did you get better mpg out of your LS400's?

Hi Mat,

Two of the ls400s were petrol only and I found 3000 mile oil changes effected the ease of starting and helped on consumption. The third ls400 had a gas conversion costing £1280. Unfortunately I ignored the rule of running the engine on petrol every third tank. Resulting in shattered valves, ouch! 25-27 mpg was the average around town even when they reached 200000.

I'll have to wait and see how I can improve on the SC.

• 2 months later...

I recently drove to France and back. About 600 miles, of which all but 30 was on motorways/ferry/autoroutes, maximum legal speed, cruise control most of the time. The computer told me I averaged 32.5 mpg, which is better than my previous Mercedes 2.3 Kompressor Coupe.

Robin

Hi

Got my SC in may this year and see beween 23 and 26 miles per gallonwith the standard set up.

Regards

Chaz

Hi Chaz,

I have changed one of the oxygen sensors, highlighted by the engine light, yet still only manage between 16-19 mpg. As I mentioned before the mileage is in the rush hour, 3 miles to work and back. This gives 230-240 miles per tank. However in the first week of June I drove to Manchester and Hull giving me a range of 390 before the low fuel indicator came on. Even then I just managed to squeeze 63 litres in compared to the usual 68-70 litres. Proof again that this is a motorway cruiser.

Asif.

Guest inicol63

Guys what you can do is dis connect the Battery and this will reset the reading on your computer.

But the milage will then start around 18 to the gallon and if your are light on your right foot you will move this up, mine normally reads around 24 but this can increase if i am on a long run.

Ian

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links