Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Actual Power Output of 1G-FE engine?

pyaap

When I ordered my car, I was told that the power was 153bhp@6200rpm. Yet a large number of books I read from Japan state the power output is 160bhp@6200rpm from the same engine. Does anyone know which is the true figure for our cars or is it just the case that our cars are slightly 'de-tuned' when compared to our Japanese counterparts as is frequently the case?

A typical example is the current Honda Civic Type-R which boasts 200bhp in the UK but the identical car in Japan (which is coincidentally also made in Swindon) has 215bhp to spare? I don't quite understand the rationale. Can anyone cast any light on this?

Japanese spec is 160 @ 6,200 as you say. Difference is probably emmissions related, at a guess. Also, most Toyota Altezzas are delivered with auto transmission, so the extra power is more than offset by this! I'd stick with 153 and a 6 speed manual!

Hope this helps,

Peter

Does this mean that Japanese spec cars have different ECU software? I doubt that there are any physical differences between engines in the 2 countries.

I know that Japanese cars have speed limiters too. My car seems to hit a brick wall at around 110mph (180km/h) where it seems like it has more potential but does not want to go any higher. The dealer claims that it should be able to do close to 130mph but cannot explain why my car simply won't.

Japan use higher octane fuel than us so can tune the engine up slightly.

ALL cars in japan are governed to 180kmh - it's the law !

There are gadgets to overcome this however which most import agents would be able to supply.

Some are better than others though .... If not done properly, odd problems may result.

Permanently light steering is quite a common one.

I do not know if it still happnes, but in the past the Japanese (and American) standards allowed the engine power to be measured without many power consuming devices attached and with no air fliter & silencer to retrict gas flows. When this was taking place an engine tested to UK standards would record lower figures.

Japan Emission requirement is not at the same level as required in Europe, Europe has a much lower CO, HC and NOx requirements. This means the have different engine calibration and catalyst substrate coatings, the coating won't effect exhaust system BP or engine power. The calibration will effect the overall performance of the engine.

Some customers of the latest 2002/3 MY cars have complained about reduced performance feel because of revised emissions levels. In this day age there has to be a trade off between, reduce the pollutions from the tail-pipe will reduce the power at the wheels.

Japan Max speed of 180 kph is news to me, I've engineered cars for Japan and never come across that requirement, I have to look it that.

When we install a mappable ecu in the is200, we actually decrease the fuel by quite a lot as they run far too rich in standard form, to increase power and improve economy. Optimising the fuel and ignition timing improves power by 6hp.

I do not know about and differences between the JDM and EUro models but I would not be at all surprised if the engine specs were different. To give you an example, the JDM and Euro model Supra's have the following differences ; camshafts, turbochargers, exhaust manifolds, cats, engine management, fuel pump etc etc...............

All Japanese domestic models are speed governed to 180 kph (112 mph). We fit the HKS Speed Limit Defence to overcome this, which costs £115 plus vat

Hope this helps

Mark :)

Originally posted by tdiplc

When we install a mappable ecu in the is200, we actually decrease the fuel by quite a lot as they run far too rich in standard form, to increase power and improve economy. Optimising the fuel and ignition timing improves power by 6hp.

hi Tdiplc,

do u mean optimising through the UNICHIP ?

I have the same problem, with my ALtezza 3S-GE. Lexus/Toyota Grarage won't help either.

What everbody has said so far is true though from my experience, Japan uses 100 Octane fuel. the best we can get is that 98 ron stuff, which no other country seems to like, it's banned in most countries because it's harmfull ??

My problem is the rev limiter stops me at 7000rpm, wont let me use the 9000rpm available, and stops me at 130mph dead.

The only option I've found is from the Fensport website. They do a replacemnet ECU, shipping will be a few weeks though as they don't keep them in stock. They basically remove the limiters and revise the fuel mappings. They ship you out a new ECU and you post yours back to them. the cost is £795 which to me is a great deal of money for simply plugging in a devise and changing some settings.

I'm not very kean on shelling out 795 big ones, but would like the limits removed.

Additionally, Chatting with Fensport, I found that they are very keen to offer Lexus club owners a good discount, they have set everything up ready for this and are only waiting for a list of Gold Subscribed members from the club, so who ever is responsible for supplying this list of members to them should do so asap if the Gold members want a discount. Seems silly not to take them up on this offer. They are very helpfull and have given me some good advise in the past.

PS. I have now de-badged my Altezza and am waiting for Fensort to send out my new TRD badge set for the rear and sides of the car.

Additionally, Chatting with Fensport, I found that they are very keen to offer Lexus club owners a good discount, they have set everything up ready for this and are only waiting for a list of Gold Subscribed members from the club, so who ever is responsible for supplying this list of members to them should do so asap if the Gold members want a discount. Seems silly not to take them up on this offer. They are very helpfull and have given me some good advise in the past

charles dont worry everything is in hand to get the list to them.

mat

Hello Coxyboy, we have done the GS300's which is basically the same engine. It gives better economy, more power and makes the engine feel smoother. It should work on the is300 but we need to try one.

Charles, don't forget that the rev limiter is there for a reason :o Normally a good rule of thumb is that a pre mapped ecu or chip will not be as good as a custom mapped alternative.

Hope this helps.

asin - there is a separate module that can change the rev limiter which costs £65.

Coxyboy - the ecu upgrade costs £600 plus including fitting and custom mapping. There may be some movement on price if you a Gold Member.

We have the HKS induction kits in stock for the is300.

Shouldn't this thread be in the tuning section :?: There is some useful info here.

:)

• 1 month later...