Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Roof Rail Corrosion

• 1 month later...
Anyone suffering from this on the new RX?  Bubbling and flaking coating on the roof rails.  I've got it at several places on mine so car is going back in.  The alloys are also looking like needing a second swap out :angry:

BK

Hi BK, how old is your car.

• 2 months later...

Had one set of wheels. Noticed the roof bar supports going. When I got it back from these being replaced I was told they had oredered another set of wheels for me.

Whilst the service is good getting things changed I will not keep it beyond the warranty limit - imagine the cost!

• 2 years later...

Just had the same issue, with corroding roof rails. Paint has come off on the underside of them. Looks like a poor adhesion issue.

Car is now 4 years old and out of warranty, howver Lexus are providing them Free of charge, but the dealer will be charging me labour to fit..

I've got the same problem.

Was going to paint some black anti-corrosion paint on them.

I assume the bars are made of aluminium? if so then unless you have special anti corrosion paint for aluminium it wont work. If the aluminium is corroded you have to ensure you remove 100% or it will come back. With rusty parts u can put a surface treatment on with ot taking it back to bare metal - with aluminium you cant.

I've got the same problem.

Was going to paint some black anti-corrosion paint on them.

I assume the bars are made of aluminium? if so then unless you have special anti corrosion paint for aluminium it wont work. If the aluminium is corroded you have to ensure you remove 100% or it will come back. With rusty parts u can put a surface treatment on with ot taking it back to bare metal - with aluminium you cant.

Good point, the aluminium isn't rusted as yet. So I guess I need to find some special aluminium paint.

Crickey! I too have been noticin some corrosion to the roof rails on our car (underside as people have said) but thought nothing of it as I couldn't do anything, that is until I read this thread! Thank you guys for posting your experiences as I felt embarrassed in asking Lexus see if they could replace them under warranty. TBH they are just starting to go - thought maybe I was just unlucky, but I'll get onto Lexus MK this morning and ask them to have a look at my [flaking] roof bars and see if they cannot replace them under warranty...

THANK YOU! :)

Anyone suffering from this on the new RX? Bubbling and flaking coating on the roof rails. I've got it at several places on mine so car is going back in. The alloys are also looking like needing a second swap out :angry:

BK

Both rails and all five wheels were replaced under warranty at the two year point.

Seemingly these are VERY common Lexus issues that have never been addressed. There are i think various threads on this.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links