Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Brake Noise?

TheDon

Yes it can be heard outside, the brakes are outside  :P  :)

I´m not sure it´s coming from the brakes though....I´m not even touching the brake pedal when i turn the wheel and it´s still there....

take out the front pads rub them over with light sand paper then refit them using copper grease on the edges that touch the caliper carrier, so that they fit tight in the carrier, this should eliminate the clunk which sounds like loose pads, i am a mechanic and its a common fault on a few cars, especially scoobies :sick::sick::sick: try it and let me know!!

I've had this problem. I got fed up and stripped the brakes. Clean the back of the pistons and where the caliper touches the pad. Clean the pads and anti squeel shims. Remove the bit that the pads sit in (two big bolts round the back) and clean it. Especially where the pad clips into it. Use a file (carefully) if you need to. I attacked it with a wire brush in a piller drill as well. Take the disk off and clean where it touches the hub and the wheel too. Clean everything. When it's all completely spotless put it back together with a little copper grease.

Just be very careful of the rubber seals on the pistons and slides.

It's fine now. Except.... I almost set fire to them 'cos I've got a stuck piston now. I've freed it off twice. Has anybody changed the piston seals before? Is it hard?

• 8 months later...

What have people used to put the pistons back in after changing there braker pads

2 pieces of 2 x 1 wood.

1 to block the other caliper coming out, and one to use a lever/ protection if usin a metal bar.

Chews the wood up a bit - but no damage to the caliper

What have people used to put the pistons back in after changing there braker pads

2 pieces of 2 x 1 wood.

1 to block the other caliper coming out, and one to use a lever/ protection if usin a metal bar.

just got hold of G Clamp going to use that

2 pieces of 2 x 1 wood.

just got hold of G Clamp going to use that

Pro :D

• 3 weeks later...

Car has been into lexus liverpool this morning this is what they said

"Recommend pad edges chamferred and pad retaining clips front discs 30.5mm (can not skim)"

what are the retaining clips? is this the two metal clips that go from brake to brake?

any advice?

they wanted to charge 405 for pads and discs change

Car has been into lexus liverpool this morning this is what they said

"Recommend pad edges chamferred and pad retaining clips front discs 30.5mm (can not skim)"

what are the retaining clips? is this the two metal clips that go from brake to brake?

any advice?

they wanted to charge 405 for pads and discs change

Get a quote from another garage. See the difference but dont go to 'coc-a-doodle motors' down the road, someone decent.

I have this on my car, I found that today in traffic rolling down a hill with the brakes applied a little i had clonk clonk clonk a bit of a CV joint sound but as we all know CV joints only make noise on full lock...its a silly niggly thing!

• 4 years later...

Great thread!

A story.

Test drove my lexus before I bought it from a small trade garage, no clunking on the front brakes.

Bought the car, and it was kindly "serviced", including new pads on the front! Great!

2 weeks after having bought it clunking starts at the front of car.

I am certain the garage threw the shims away when they replaced the pad.

Anyhow, the brakes clunks all the time. Due to get the pads replaced at a lexus indepenent soon.

Bottom line - live with it!

Mine clunk all the time except at high speed, as I cant hear it.

Seems the japs couldnt design a decent brake system on a presteige motor.

Amazing!

Hi Guys, this is damn common sadly and I have suffered with this issue for some time and in replacing discs and pads it disappeared and returned a while later like most peoples experience. The good news is I've finally and definitively got to the bottom of this and the problems are sticking pistons which cause the clunking and creaking. Word of warning from someone who has experienced this first hand make sure you get this sorted because the heat caused by the sticking piston(s) can and will warp not only your discs but possibly your entire hub assembly ££££££! I had mine get so hot it warped the flange on the drivers side, my local trusted garage didn't pick it up and my local Lexus dealership hadn't come across the problem either. However talking to a regular user on here, namely Ormi we have diagnosed the issue. To get to this point I have gone through 3 sets of discs and pads and a flange kit.

Now I am replacing all four front pistons and having the seal kit redone on both front callipers plus new discs and pads fitted as they are once again warped. Anyway check out my thread it covers the whole thing, I hope it helps because I don't want people to have to spend all the money I did to get to this point. Sort it early and save yourself some serious cash.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=68235