Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How you can contribute to a very important project

Matthew_McNally

Cancer is one of the best known, and feared diseases of the modern world.

Everybody understands the need for Cancer Research.

This post details a free and easy way that everyone on these forums can help, by simply allowing a project to use the unused processor cycles of your PC.

There is an Internet based project which uses distributed computing to process massive amounts of data.

As of today, worldwide there are 885,202 members participating, using 1,814,071 devices.

The total amount of research processed by these members’ amounts to

155,254 years

046 days

18 hours

34 minutes and

33 seconds.

And no - that is not a typo - 155,254 YEARS of research.

To participate in this project, all you need to do is

1 - download a small piece of software.

2 - join the Team Lexus Team.

Full details can be found on the web page I have created here - or you can click on the graphic in my signature.

We have over 1100 members, if everyone were to join up - we would be in the top 15 teams in the world.

We would also contribute over two years of research each and every day.

So come on people - this is a very legitimate, free and easy way for you to make an important contribution to an essential project.

If you have any questions, please feel free to either u2u me or email me - however, it would best if you posted any questions to this thread - so that others can share any answers given.

Originally posted by Andy.thomas

Well it took alot of reading up on the companies history - and the other projects they are involved in. Working in IT Security im a bit dubious of things like this!

BUT - Im happy, signed up and processes pretty molecular things! :)

What a recommendation!

Well done Andy!

Good Work Fella :yes:

My PC at work was running it until I got a new one - I must download the program again. It seems to have no effect on performance and if your company policy is to leave pcs on overnight etc then it can rack up loads of cpu time to the cancer project.

it shouldn't have any effect on performance at all.

the software is actually designed to run using the unused cycles - those normally shown as System Idle Process.

So - even if you have a lot of apps open (I regularly have MX Studio, (Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash running), all that happens is less processor time is used by the agent software.

And if you absolutely must get 100% power from your PC, you can always tell the software to run as a screensaver.

Load it up javadude, and join the team lexus team by clicking here!

I've passed the info on to my IT department (as I use a work laptop) to a) get permission to do this and B) see if it's something that could be adopted as standard on works PCs. Will let you know how I get on.

What about some other fund-raising guys? Cancer is something that I'm sure has affected us all one way or another.

Originally posted by javadude

My PC at work was running it until I got a new one - I must download the program again. It seems to have no effect on performance and if your company policy is to leave pcs on overnight etc then it can rack up loads of cpu time to the cancer project.

Just a gentle reminder JD;)

not seem your name in the Team Lexus Team. :(

Welcme aboard Julian BTW - not sure which of our 'users' you are!

Are you guys having any problems with the software, as I cannot see any results returned.

Not a problem, you may have a slow PC, or only have the machine turned on for short periods - no hassle.

But, if you having any problems, let me know, so we can try to fix it.

At the moment, we are generating more that 90 hours research every day.:o

Originally posted by lewispv

I'm in and joined the team - have machine up 24x7 too

good man Lewis!

Nice to have you on board.

We are now returning -

- more than 100 hours of research a day

- more than 13 sets of results a day (3900 molcules a day twisted, crunched and checked for attributes important to Cancer Research)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links