Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fallen Out Of Love With My Lex.

Missus has just bought a Mini Cooper S. When i drive my car now i find it boring,slow and predictable. I even go the short way to work now! Use to go the longest possible to enjoy the drive. Love the look of my car but far far too slow!!

:crying:

Time to buy a new car .........

. A new LEX of course ........... get your self an IS300 mate ......... or a GS300 - then enjoy the difference ...... I did !

Already dropped £5500 depreciation and another £1500 on mods, buying a supercharger would be just throwing good after bad. If i got an 300 it would still feel slow compared to the mini!! Something of the jap 4 x 4 variety next!

quite................had a new mondeo and the only thing that was better was the boot space. Everything else, unmodded to unmodded, is like comparing a spoon to a knife. The lex is in a different league, and so far hasn`t been in the workshop with anything like the regularity of the mondeo, which blew an engine at 21000!!!!

And it always sounded like you were driving with the window open.

Yes if i had a wish it would be for a twin turbo IS, looking like s*x on a stick, but for the price i`ve yet to see a car distinctive enough or worthy enough. And i`ve been in mini cooper, and considering its external size its like an anti-tardis!!! :blink:

And i`ve been in mini cooper, and considering its external size its like an anti-tardis!!! :blink:

Not sure about that as i am 6ft 4 and i have no problems!!! Boot space is ***** but plenty of headroom.

And i`ve been in mini cooper, and considering its external size its like an anti-tardis!!! :blink:

Not sure about that as i am 6ft 4 and i have no problems!!! Boot space is ***** but plenty of headroom.

i`m 6ft, plenty of headroom, but my kness were jammed up in the drivers seat and the passengers seat both when somenbody who was about 5,10 was in the rear----we couldn`t beleive it as apparently its got the same wheelbase length as a freelander!!

And have you seen it next to a proper mini? :D Still, don`t suppose calling it a maxi would have been a good idea!!

Missus has just bought a Mini Cooper S. When i drive my car now i find it boring,slow and predictable. I even go the short way to work now! Use to go the longest possible to enjoy the drive. Love the look of my car but far far too slow!!

Just to let you know I am looking for a change of car from my Rx-8 due to more room needed for the family.

I have driven so far a Vertex (good car), Subaru Legacy B4 RSK (twin turbo suped up version of the legacy saloon) , Is200 , Gs300 sport, I have looked at although not driven a C32 AMG (old style) and am looking at another car tommorow (can't wait). I also considered getting an Octavia VRs and chipping to 280bhp/torque, but rejected that at the moment on grounds of image needed for the work car park (sad but true).

I have done a LOT of research over the past month!

I have not decided yet which is the route to go. My needs are basically a Q car. I.e 4 doors a good boot, yet fast as well. None of them really grabbed me 100% although I am considering one or two.

IS200 was too small for me in the back for the kids , but a cracking drive. Although you have to nail it go get the power out. I say that even though the RX-8 (231) has a fantastic mid engine rear wheel drive setup and nigh on perfect handling.

Yet I still enjoyed the Is200, I would probably have to supercharge though to live with it day to day as the standard 200 runs out of grunt just as it's getting interesting.

You can always be suprised what a little extra power can do. My old man has a 350Z , he got a de-cat and better airflow and he's happy as larry now (not that it was lacking in grunt before).

This long winded post is just to say that there are plenty of good cars with good and bad points. If your Is200 is lacking in certain va va voom then consider uprating the hp, lowering the suspension etc.

A mini will handle very well but thats what it does. If I didn't have the space requirements I would be driving an altezza/is200 now (with an sc!). :winky:

If I could afford the new GS I would buy it tommorow! :hehe: I am going to decide in the next couple of days which car to buy.

J

quite................had a new mondeo and the only thing that was better was the boot space. Everything else, unmodded to unmodded, is like comparing a spoon to a knife. The lex is in a different league, and so far hasn`t been in the workshop with anything like the regularity of the mondeo, which blew an engine at 21000!!!!

don't doubt it m8, it is in a different league carwise. Interior and standard spec on a lex is vastly superior. But not handling wise. I've also had my mondeo for over 60k now. Hasn't been in a garage once for a problem.

and you obviously had a MK3 with thw window problem.

I had a MK1 from 1994, and it still handles 500% better than my lex. No two ways about it.

I'll get the suspension upgraded, if that doesnt do it for me, i'll chop it in for a scooby/mitsi.

don't doubt it m8, it is in a different league carwise. Interior and standard spec on a lex is vastly superior. But not handling wise. I've also had my mondeo for over 60k now. Hasn't been in a garage once for a problem.

and you obviously had a MK3 with thw window problem.

I had a MK1 from 1994, and it still handles 500% better than my lex. No two ways about it.

I'll get the suspension upgraded, if that doesnt do it for me, i'll chop it in for a scooby/mitsi.

well you know what they say, "one man's meat is another mans poison".

I have driven the different models of mondeo, and personally found them soggy to drive, and part-exing the mondeo for the lex was like getting out of a fart fuelled bath and into a busty-beauty filled hottub!!!! The driving difference, let alone the quality was that different.

But then although i like the stats on the scooby/mitsi they are pig ugly! And although i really like the look of the mondeo st220, i know thats how much it will be worth 2 years down the line........ £2.20.

Certainly i`ve owned a number of fords from fiestas to sierras etc, and although the parts are cheap, they always broke, and sometimes in spectacular fashion. I`ll never buy ford again---i need the package my lex offers, not the one or two better things others have to offer!! :D

But like i say, its a very passionate topic that people have a million different opinions on

well you know what they say, "one man's meat is another mans poison".

I have driven the different models of mondeo, and personally found them soggy to drive, and part-exing the mondeo for the lex was like getting out of a fart fuelled bath and into a busty-beauty filled hottub!!!! The driving difference, let alone the quality was that different.

But then although i like the stats on the scooby/mitsi they are pig ugly! And although i really like the look of the mondeo st220, i know thats how much it will be worth 2 years down the line........ £2.20.

Certainly i`ve owned a number of fords from fiestas to sierras etc, and although the parts are cheap, they always broke, and sometimes in spectacular fashion. I`ll never buy ford again---i need the package my lex offers, not the one or two better things others have to offer!! :D

But like i say, its a very passionate topic that people have a million different opinions on

The B4 RSK is a real lookey, much more stealthy than the impreza, and much better inside.

http://pictures.autotrader.co.uk/ATD_web/s...ia?id=169988474

Boring and slow.... maybe. But the IS being predictable is a bad thing?? I like my IS being predictable - always starts first time, bits don't fall off, corners/handles without surprises. Trouble with Minis is that down my way they're everywhere!

Think it's a bloke thing - we get bored with most things eventually :winky:

The ultimate Q car? Lotus Carlton (if you can find one). :D

Boring and slow.... maybe. But the IS being predictable is a bad thing?? I like my IS being predictable - always starts first time, bits don't fall off, corners/handles without surprises. Trouble with Minis is that down my way they're everywhere!

Think it's a bloke thing - we get bored with most things eventually :winky:

The ultimate Q car? Lotus Carlton (if you can find one). :D

Think the aerial Atom would be the ultimate fun car!!... £25 for all the fun you can handle!

I was feeling the same as you are with my Aristo, but a BOV & Induction Kit, and going out for a little cruise night with two R33 Skyline GTR's (400whp), a Toyota Supra (800whp), a Nissan 200SX S14a (250whp) and a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R (280whp) yesterday made me think twice about being bored with the car. Just think you need a little change, maybe do some performance modifications on the car? If not then I'd just say look for a higher performance Lex, maybe an Altezza?

Mitul.

We has an rx8 for a 3 hour test drive and was very impressed but missus could not see out of rear window very well so knocked on the head.

Shame, I never look out of the rear window :D , the rear view mirror and side mirrors give you all the visibilty you need, probably needed to adjust the seat and rear view mirror to get the best view. It shouldn't be a problem as the RX-8 is quite a narrow car.

I am 6 ft and the wife is 5,10 and we don't have problems. My mum could drive it (very slowly!) and she's 5 ft 3!

J

You not got your evo yet Russ??... thought you had this sorted a while back?...

Hows tricks anyway matie?  All good i hope

Went to mitsubishi but they would not budge on the price of a new evo 260, combined with a rubbish trade in price i knocked it on the head. Things are still not sorted at work either but as soon as i get the nod the lex is going to my dad! Just as well i did not buy the 260 cos they have been battered in the second hand market.

I've test driven both the rx-8 and 350z and performance wise they do p all over the IS200 which isn't a surprise. But what I didn't like in those 2 cars were build quality & believe it or not the stereo performance. (or in the RX-8's case lack of - sorry!)

The IS has lots of nice features but the stereo just finishes it off for me, I know it sounds strange but the rx-8 and 350z are over £23k ++ each and for that money I expected more.

But the power in the 2 was awesome, liked the 350z midrange grunt and loved the 9k revving rx-8 performance.

And yes, before anybody says it they are like comparing chalk and cheese.

I agree that we blokes get bored, I was thinking of changing to one of the above, but to be honest I think I'll stick to me luxury motors and wait for a drive of the new is250 later this year.

I've test driven both the rx-8 and 350z and performance wise they do p all over the IS200 which isn't a surprise. But what I didn't like in those 2 cars were build quality & believe it or not the stereo performance. (or in the RX-8's case lack of  - sorry!)

The IS has lots of nice features but the stereo just finishes it off for me, I know it sounds strange but the rx-8 and 350z are over £23k ++ each and for that money I expected more.

But the power in the 2 was awesome, liked the 350z midrange grunt and loved the 9k revving rx-8 performance.

And yes, before anybody says it they are like comparing chalk and cheese.

I agree that we blokes get bored, I was thinking of changing to one of the above, but to be honest I think I'll stick to me luxury motors and wait for a drive of the new is250 later this year.

I am suprised you mention the stereo, the bose sound quality (9 speaker seems excellent, perhaps a touch more low-midrange). I didn;t try the cd in the is200 so I can't compare.

350 z is loverly drive, got a great grunt and you can feel the torque, initially the RX-8 felt a bit lifeless but after 5000 miles it's really starting to open up. It sounds soo sweet once you get over 6k! Linear torque is a strange beast!

I was going to try (and probably buy) and Alpina B10 4.6 V8 today, but some :tsktsk: beat me to it.

I think the Alpina could reign as the ultimate Q car. Pace , space and grace. BMW build and Alpina hand finished engine badge. FULLY loaded as well. They depreciate much quicker than the equivalent M car as well :driving: Much more exclusive than the standard propellor badge as well.

J