Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying advice from Lexus owners pretty please !

Hi guys,

I need some advice as you guys probably know best, I am thinking of getting a 94 GS300 with FLSHistory and about 90k on the clock I will get it checked out by the AA first as after i have bought it I wont have much left should any major problems arise.

I will probably have it for a year or so only, can you guys give me some advice on running costs ie services, dealer prices, non main dealer parts (obtainable?), I know from previous Toyota experience their mechanics are bulletproof, do you think I can get away with owning one for a year or so without having to re-mortgage the house :)

What common problems do these fine cars have ? should I look out for anything in particular. Seen one in Nottingham for 6500k will service before sale they told me, what do you think.

Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

BTW I found this place for parts they deliver to the UK any good

http://www.thepartsbin.com/

Sorry about all the questions.

Servicing is generally fixed cost - the one to watch out for is every 63,000 miles, when you need a new cam belt and plugs - very expensive.

A good independent should easily be able to do interim services pretty cheaply.

There a very few aftermarket parts available in the Uk for the GS.

Generally, the don't go wrong, unless you're unlucky. the ONLY problem I've had in 120,000 miles was a leaky water pump.

£6500 for a 1994 sounds a lot to me.

Thanks for the info Rodders,

Just called up for it,

6500k L reg from Garage inc 12 months waranty 86k, Last Lexus history stamped 15-20k ago, mint cond.

May just wait and see what the autotrader has to offer on Fri.

know of any good warrantys available for cars this age

Thanks again

I think you meant £361 for the belt. I am going to have mine done outside the dealer network as It's out of warranty. My Volvo t5 was £347 at the dealer and £75 at a local garage.... Reckon the Lex might be not much more. but even if it is 200 quid it's worth saving the cost of the plugs!

Ps. bet u can get those plugs cheaper or not change them for another 20000 miles. what the heck can go wrong with Spark plugs?

Loz - Tempter of fait...

Thanks both,

Looks like it has missed the big 63k service, oh well many more on the market inc quite a few one ownered FLSH, hmmm R reg's going for just above 7k.

I have been through all the posts and it does seem these cars have very few problems other then the vibration between 60-80mph, not may used reviews out there on the net though other then the ones posted.

Cheers

Dude,

the cost of timing belt change is now £361

the spark plugs, £180 fitted and the service is a cheap one at £225.

I have checked this out seriously thoroughly as mine is due. these prices are correct at September 2002.

mine is 2k over due now but I aint worried as its a seriously good car and should have big tollerances based on their desire to build strong rep in the market place.

Loz

Still lookin !

I personally would rather spend the 100.00 and get the belts done, *** knows what it would damage if it snapped.

Cant be that hard to fit some plugs yourself can it ? just like any other cars plugs although they require a change every 20k as opposed to Lexus's 60k.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links