Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grinding Sound V8 Ltd

GrandAlf

Bit of an odd one this, When the car is first driven from cold over speed bumps there is a banging/grinding noise from the font end. This is worst if just the N/S wheel is driven over the bump. After about half a mile or so of driving the problem disappears for the rest of the day, only to re-occur the next morning. Have tried sport and high mode settings with no apparent difference, even when cold. I cannot recreate the sound by bouncing the car whilst stood, only occurs when driven. Brakes need attention (bleeding) as somtimes travel is nearly to the floor before any affect, cannot imagine that this is anything to do with the problem though. Difficult to find anyone in west yorks/lancs that understands and services them. Any advice, suggestions would be most appreciated.

Bit of an odd one this,  When the car is first driven from cold over speed bumps there is a banging/grinding noise from the font end. This is worst if just the N/S wheel is driven over the bump. After about half a mile or so of driving the problem disappears for the rest of the day, only to re-occur the next morning.  Have tried sport and high mode settings with no apparent difference, even when cold. I cannot recreate the sound by bouncing the car whilst stood, only occurs when driven. Brakes need attention (bleeding) as somtimes travel is nearly to the floor before any affect, cannot imagine that this is anything to do with the problem though. Difficult to find anyone in west yorks/lancs that understands and services them. Any advice, suggestions would be most appreciated.

Is it a grinding with a bang or more like a creak with a bang?

If its more like a creak it could be the bushes on the LCA and/or anti roll bar

A lot say it is better to replace the whole LCA but this is expensive at £450 each

Be a good bet to change the ARB bushes anyway as they will most likely be shot anyway.Then see what it is like after that.

Let us know a bit more about the sound you are getting and also do you find the car a bit twitchy or tramliney at speed?

Bit of an odd one this,  When the car is first driven from cold over speed bumps there is a banging/grinding noise from the font end. This is worst if just the N/S wheel is driven over the bump. After about half a mile or so of driving the problem disappears for the rest of the day, only to re-occur the next morning.  Have tried sport and high mode settings with no apparent difference, even when cold. I cannot recreate the sound by bouncing the car whilst stood, only occurs when driven. Brakes need attention (bleeding) as somtimes travel is nearly to the floor before any affect, cannot imagine that this is anything to do with the problem though. Difficult to find anyone in west yorks/lancs that understands and services them. Any advice, suggestions would be most appreciated.

Is it a grinding with a bang or more like a creak with a bang?

If its more like a creak it could be the bushes on the LCA and/or anti roll bar

A lot say it is better to replace the whole LCA but this is expensive at £450 each

Be a good bet to change the ARB bushes anyway as they will most likely be shot anyway.Then see what it is like after that.

Let us know a bit more about the sound you are getting and also do you find the car a bit twitchy or tramliney at speed?

Thanks for your advice, yet again.

Probably more of a quite loud banging/scraping noise. If it were suspension bushes, I would have thought it would be there all the time. General handling seems fine

As you were told on the lsoc the creaking is a normal sound in these cars until warmed up.

The banging may be the ARB bushes

its not a big problem next time its in the gargae ask em to have a look at te bushes for you

I will say though some mebers have changed all the bushes and still get a bang and a creak some lose the noise so its a bit of a lucky dip.

Nice to have confirmation from two sources. It is my wife's car, and she has been nattering for me to get it sorted, as it is embarassing as every one turn to see what the noise is. I guess it must sound a lot louder outside the car. At least it seems not to be a major problem. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Nice to have confirmation from two sources. It is my wife's car, and she has been nattering for me to get it sorted, as it is embarassing as every one turn to see what the noise is. I guess it must sound a lot louder outside the car. At least it seems not to be a major problem. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

No probs mate

Glad to be of help :)

Having the LCA bushes replaced on my TT cured the noise (clonk/squeak). These cars are transformed by having new bushes so I'm going to get the LCA, ARB and steering rack bushes done on this one asap.

Yup, definitely try changing the bushes - lower arm + ARB first as they make the biggest difference to driving anyway, then if its not solved, try other bushes - upper arms, then look at the sus struts - sometimes they creak quite a bit.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links