Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just had the breakdown people come to pick up my RX 300 SE-L because the air suspension failed, and the car looked like a drunken tart.

The nearside was up in the air and the offside on its lowest setting, and it managed to do it all by its self.

For those interested it is only 8 mths old with just over 6000 miles on the clock.

Does anyone know if there is a general problem with the air suspension or is it a one off.

Not what one would expect from a company like Lexus with an expensive car, ok its under warantee and Lexus Wolverhampton have been most helpful, lets hope they can fix the car quickly as I only have a Saab 95 as a loan car.

Realspeed

The loan car was under the RAC breakdown cover which comes with new Lexus free of charge, so guess i'm lucky to have a car even in that class, even though technically the car had not broken down it was still drivable if you like driving as if on the side of a hill.

Realspeed

I had the same problem with mine last year. It was leaning to the left whilst driving and then once parked would go FULL tilt. They said it was a sensor that had got water in it. They didn't let me pay for the 1st service as compensation. Very good service from a very good dealer.

No Fergy I think you are right.

I took the deliberate decision to give the air suspension a miss having previously had an air suspension Range Rover.

Is there actually an advantage to air suspension?

On my Range Rover I thought that there probably was especially if carrying really heavy loads but I didn't think the added complexity and expense of compressor, dryer, valve blocks, air bags, height sensors, pressure sensors and computer was worth that advantage especially when the height sensors are right alongside the rear wheels and right behing the front wheels with all the wet and muck that gets thrown at them.

With the Range Rover if the computer suspected a fault the suspension was dropped to the bump rubbers and you were left with a very uncomfortable limp to a dealers to have it reset. At least the Lexus doesn't seem to do that.

Most unusual to have broken metal spring and even then most owners wouldn't notice it had happened.

Just had the breakdown people come to pick up my RX 300 SE-L because the air suspension failed, and the car looked like a drunken tart.

The nearside was up in the air and the offside on its lowest setting, and it managed to do it all by its self.

For those interested it is only 8 mths old with just over 6000 miles on the clock.

Does anyone know if there is a general problem  with the air suspension or is it a one off.

Not what one would expect from a company like Lexus with an expensive car, ok its under warantee and Lexus Wolverhampton have been most helpful, lets hope they can fix the car quickly as I only have a Saab 95 as a loan car.

Realspeed

Found my SE L leaning over in the driveway this morning 8mths old 6500 miles .Lex Norwich had me a loan RX SE within an hour car left with them till they fit me a new sensor for height control said this is only the second one they have had go like that.Hope to have mine back tuesday will let you know.Thanks to Lex Norwich for sorting me out a loan car not bad for a Sunday morning!

Wam

Seems there may be a general fault with this sensor unit, maybe someone on here who is in contact with lexus can look into the matter further. Could well be the case for a recall for RX300 SE-L's that were made or sold around the Sept 2004 era.

Realspeed

Just picked up the car from Lexus Wolverhampton. Talking to the service manager and he says that they have had 4 cars in within the last week with the same fault all RX300SE-L.

So I asked if Lexus were doing a recall( which they are not) and it seems that the sensors have had a modification done and the are in short supply. As each car has apparentely 4 of these sensors it appears that due to the shortage of stock dealers are waiting for owners to report the fault, then having them in to do the replacements.

Realspeed

Realspeed

Was hinted to me that there is modded sensor to be fitted will let you know if I find out any more info.

wam

:) Hi WAM, where are you in Norfolk? :lol:

Hi Lexusjohn I live nr Norwich and deal with Lexus on Reepham Rd.

Thank you to Realspeed for info re sensors I was told today that two were faulty I shall ask about the other two!

Realspeed

Was hinted to me that there is modded sensor to be fitted will let you know if I find out any more info.

wam

:) Hi WAM, where are you in Norfolk? :lol:

Hi Lexusjohn I live nr Norwich and deal with Lexus on Reepham Rd.

Thank you to Realspeed for info re sensors I was told today that two were faulty I shall ask about the other two!

:D WAM I too deal with Neal and Somon, at Norwich, I live in Attleborough. Good bunch of guys! :driving:

Wife went to Staples today and in the car park guess what? yes another RX300 SE-L on one side . Yep, sensor looked as if it had gone, so told owner who is going to get intouch with Lexus about it. He asked if there had been a recall and my wife said there hadn't, so guess there is another unhappy owner.

I wonder how many more there are out there that the owners don't know about the problem. Surely Lexus should contact all the owners and do a recall and admit there is a fault that should be rectified.

Realspeed

I have just changed my 2 year old SE-L for a new one. I never had a suspension problem with the last car and just hope the new one doesn't either.

Does anybody know what chassis numbers are likely to be affected by this fault?

If a fault is likely to occur I would rather have the sensors replaced now and not when the fault develops.

I have just changed my 2 year old SE-L for a new one. I never had a suspension problem with the last car and just hope the new one doesn't either.

Does anybody know what chassis numbers are likely to be affected by this fault?

If a fault is likely to occur I would rather have the sensors replaced now and not when the fault develops.

Hi Sabastian

My sept 04 SE L 6500m is at my dealership now awaiting the new sensors they found 2 faulty and were going to replace 2,I of course was having none of that and insisted on all 4 being replaced dealership said could not do.They gave me customer relations no for Lexus uk who I phoned my self and within 1 hr max my dealer had the ok to fit all 4 modded sensors there of course should be a recall which I hope they will do,hope to pick up tommorow fingers crossed!

Dont worry this is an easy mod to carry out and SE L owners need not worry just enjoy this wonderful car and count yourself lucky to own one!!!

Out of interest one of my clients who bought a Land Cruiser amazon in August 2004 also informs me that he had the same problem with his car, the sensor on the air suspension was faulty. So it appears that its not only Lexus but right across the Toyota range.

Realspeed

• 4 weeks later...

Its happened again.

Only done 1000 miles since the sensor on ride height was repaired and now its happened again but this time the offside was down whilst the nearside was up in the air.

Surely Lexus MUST do a recall as I cannot be the only one having to go back again. but this time I insisted they replaced all sensors when I took the car back this morning.

Suppose it will be another 4/5 days before I see my car again.

PS

Sorry not to have been about recently but I have just changed internet servers and it took nearly 3 weeks to cancel and get reconnected.

Realspeed

Its happened again.

Only done 1000 miles since the sensor on ride height was repaired and now its happened again but this time the offside was down whilst the nearside was up in the air.

Surely Lexus MUST do a recall as I cannot be the only one having to go back again. but this time I insisted they replaced all sensors when I took the car back this morning.

PS

Sorry not to have been about recently but I have just changed internet servers and it took nearly 3 weeks to cancel and get reconnected.

Realspeed

[/quote

Hi Realspeed

As you know from a previous post to you I also insisted they replaced all the sensors but my local Lexus could not give the ok for that so I had to call Lexus uk my self to make my request and within an hour the ok was given and all is ok. My Norwich Lexus branch treated me very well indeed.Make sure however that it has been set at the correct level allround as I took mine back for re ajustment.I still love this car! wam.

This happened to my RX300 SE-L and TBH I am happy that I am now back onto springs with the 400h. Just something else to go wrong.

We had a rattle coming from the rear which was meant to be fixed but I am sure it was still there in certain conditions, can't be sure. I did feel it was an Air Suspension gremlin coming back.

Its happened again.

PS

Realspeed

Recalls are normally only done for safety reasons.

I guess a TSB exists for this issue and these are carried out as and when a customer has the problem.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links