Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dynamat required?

Following on from my "how do I cram all my stereo stuff in an IS200" post, the spectre of sound deadening rears its ugly head.

In fairness, my Golf was pretty much spot-on, so I didn't have any problems, and I didn't do a thing to it.

Am I going to have to spend loads on Dynamat/Brown Bread/whatever to get a decent sound out of the IS200?

If so, are there any particular areas that I will need to concentrate on?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

17 days and counting 'til I pick it up. Yippee! :bounce:

I've spent £300+ on Dynamat Extreme and it still isn't enough. You need to do the entire boot (boot floor (including spare wheel well), behind rear seat (I did both sides), inner arches, rear suspension turrets, boot lid), parcel shelf (both sides), under rear seat, inside doors and the roof. I have not done the roof yet but it definately needs doing as the headlining really vibrates. I think I am going to end up putting another layer on my inner arches and boot lid because they vibrate so much (my rear spoiler is working its way loose!)

I suppose how much you put in depends on how loud you want to go.

By the end of two whole days installing it you are pretty fed up let me tell you!

Thanks for the info.

Not exactly what I wanted to hear though! :(

Not really prepared to do the whole car, so we'll do the install and make a judgement when it's up and running.

Not as anal about sounds as I used to be (must be getting old!). Volume isn't a major factor, so I'm not looking for eardrum-splitting SPL :lol:

Just want a reasonable sound at mid-volume, without annoying vibrations ruining the experience.

Even for a modest install, you will need to do the boot lid, parcel shelf and inner arches. I could not believe how much they vibrate even at low volume.

One thing that will also need sorting is the air vents in the boot on the inner arches. These stop your ears from popping when you close the doors by releasing pressure from the cabin (the left hand one is near the jack, the right hand one is in the same place other side). They flap about like mad when you have any air movement in your boot. It took me ages to find out where the noise was coming from! I am just going to block them up with dynamat and suffer the ear popping!

If I were you I would dynamat before putting your install in, because I guarantee you will need it.

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links