Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Abs

pb32

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the site.. I'm driving a GS300 98 model.. and have a problem with the abs.. the pump appears to be permenantly on..ultimately causing a squeaking/screeching sound and results in the ABS and Exclamation warning lights coming on together with a continuous tone alarm.. interestingly the brakes work ok and the only way I have been able to get the pump off is by disconnecting the three pin connector on the unit which I guess is the power to the pump..

i expected this to cause the brake pedal to go hard (lose power assistance) but the pedal is normal and hasn't gone hard.. any one had any probs with this that can help me ...thanks, i called lexus and they cant look at it until friday..

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the site.. I'm driving a GS300 98 model.. and have a problem with the abs.. the pump appears to be permenantly on..ultimately causing a squeaking/screeching sound and results in the ABS and Exclamation warning lights coming on together with a continuous tone alarm.. interestingly the brakes work ok and the only way I have been able to get the pump off is by disconnecting the three pin connector on the unit which I guess is the power to the pump..

i expected this to cause the brake pedal to go hard (lose power assistance) but the pedal is normal and hasn't gone hard.. any one had any probs with this that can help me ...thanks,  i called lexus and they cant look at it until friday..

Hi

Seem to have messed up my 1st post !!

This problem with has just begun on my 99T GS300. As you say the brakes seem to be working normally. How did you resolve this in the end ?

Thanks for any advice...

errm..thanks Colin ! Can these be reconditioned ? I have only bought the car in the last few months. I traded in my XJ40 thinking that I wouldn't have to go near a scrap yard again for a while. Its a beautiful car; comfier, quieter and faster than the Jag but obviously spares are an issue I maybe should have thought of!

Don't s'pose anyone has a master cylinder lying around....?

Update....

I took the car round to a diagnostic workshop a few hours ago.

For £40 they checked for any error codes in the system. They found two - one in the hydrostatic pump and one somewhere else in the abs system (sorry I forget where he said!). His gizmo cleared them both. He had a little test drive and then connected it back up - no error codes came up. Said it may have been caused by a 'spike' in the system, but who knows.....obviously I'll have to suck it and see but I hope I've saved myself some dosh and a load of hassle.

I'll let you know if it stays sorted.

Thanks

most people have got their replacements from breakers. Not heard of anybody reconditioning them although I don't think there is much there goes wrong. It's either the pump or just the pressure sensor not working correctly and therefore it appears the pump is faulty.

Dealers just swap out the complete unit which costs £2000.

You may find the fault will come back again and again.

Yes it has ! Does anybody have a part number for the master cylinder assembly? I have found the makers (Aisin Seiki= ASCO) and my company has an account with them !! They have a reverse search feature so you can search for their part number with the Lexus number

http://www.be.aisin-europe.com/am/uk/selec...user=&password=

If anyone has the part number it may save me a few bob, and I hope the above link may be of some use to others

Hi Folks,

i expected this to cause the brake pedal to go hard (lose power assistance) but the pedal is normal and hasn't gone hard.. any one had any probs with this that can help me ...thanks,  i called lexus and they cant look at it until friday..

I recently bought a 99 GS300, and have a similar problem, although the sound and alarms come and go. The car has about 70K. Perhaps the problem is more common than what we think. Did you find a master cylinder?

The car seems to work perfectly (even the breaks) but the noise is a pain,

Alex

Yes it has ! Does anybody have a part number for the master cylinder assembly? I have found the makers (Aisin Seiki= ASCO) and my company has an account with them !! They have a reverse search feature so you can search for their part number with the Lexus number

http://www.be.aisin-europe.com/am/uk/selec...user=&password=

If anyone has the part number it may save me a few bob, and I hope the above link may be of some use to others

AISIN won't normally sell a Toyota specific part outside of the Toyota network.

I'm still looking for the master cylinder. Lexus will sell me a complete assembly for nearly £1990, although they will offer the two components separately - £1346 for the master cylinder and £1100 for the brake booster. I guess from noise we need the brake booster part ?

I have disconnected the plug like 'pb32' to stop the noise and warning signal and have lost abs and traction control but I managed without them in the Jag.

I'm not paying full price unless I have to so I'm looking around for a used part or maybe importing from the States if I can find someone.

I have emailed Aisin but had no response (I think the email went to Belgium) so I going to ring their UK office tomorrow.

My car has done 130k btw

I'm still looking for the master cylinder.  Lexus will sell me a complete assembly for nearly £1990, although they will offer the two components separately - £1346 for the master cylinder and £1100 for the brake booster.  I guess from noise we need the brake booster part ? 

I have disconnected the plug like 'pb32' to stop the noise and warning signal and have lost abs and traction control but I managed without them in the Jag.

I'm not paying full price unless I have to so I'm looking around for a used part or maybe importing from the States if I can find someone. 

I have emailed Aisin but had no response (I think the email went to Belgium) so I going to ring their UK office tomorrow.

My car has done 130k btw

I also disconnected part of the wires, the car works fine, the alarm goes on for 10 sec every 5 min. But no screachng sound from the ABS. My mechanic will study the issue and will see if he can fix it. We all avoid the Lexus stealers. I bet that some of you who had old Jags are used to this

Alex

I'm still looking for the master cylinder.  Lexus will sell me a complete assembly for nearly £1990, although they will offer the two components separately - £1346 for the master cylinder and £1100 for the brake booster.  I guess from noise we need the brake booster part ?  

My car has done 130k btw

• 2 weeks later...
I also disconnected part of the wires, the car works fine, the alarm goes on for 10 sec every 5 min.  But no screachng sound from the ABS.  My mechanic will study the issue and will see if he can fix it.  We all avoid the Lexus stealers.  I bet that some of you who had old Jags are used to this

Alex

My car has done 130k btw

You have my sympathies, I went through this horrible and painful experience 2 years ago (shortly after I'd bought the car and just outside warranty). I wish I'd known about the plug to disconnect, as the high pitched noise that is constantly on was driving me mad - I had to live with this for several months before I found a solution. I'd been given a similar quote by Lexus of around over £2000 to replace the master cylinder booster jobby.

After a few months, I came across Dial4Parts who were able to sell me a used Master Cylinder part for around £500 (can't remember the exact price), I then got Lexus to fit it at a cost around £140 (2 hours labour!). Its 2 years on and touchwood all is well.

I've had a number of PMs from people on this matter too. This appears to be quite a common problem and an expensive problem. I don't know product recalls work, but just going by the amount of people experiencing this, I would think this should be up there.

To me it all seems a bit fishy, the ABS unit is not a critical part of the car, the car brakes function perfectly well without it. So why the constant high-pitched noise?, surely the warning lights are sufficient to let you know there is a problem. It is a problem that can be fixed in due time. These are luxury cars and the last thing they should be doing is to be driving them insane with that high-pitched noise. It was a few months before I managed to get this fixed, in the meantime, I still had to live with it and transport family and friends around along with long motorway journeys (2-3 hours) even loud music could not drown this noise.

• 1 year later...

I have been battling with this problem also!

Apparantly it is more common on the low mile / stored cars! Ironic huh!?

I've got a 98 GS300 with 42,000 KLMS.

Anyway, point is this, I just managed to source a complete set, used for AUD $1,100.00

Fitted it (the whole 5 peice unit less actual master cylinder) and it worked, removed the noise, warnings etc. - after proper bleeding.

Only problem!? Its leaking.... bigtime!!

SO!....... Have removed and got refund, am today putting all the original gear back and will re-bleed brakes. (I am unable to find another used set - except for a car thats hit in that guard so not risking it).

Once I've done this I have another solution, I believe it is not the ABS or the unit / master cylinder that needs replacing, but maybe only the accumulator. This may run out of Nitrogen over time and this is why its not building pressure and is working overtime - therefore causing the warnings & errors, but without loss of brakes.

You can buy this part serperately (the brass part to left of ABS setup) for AUD $700.00 brand new from Japan. (once again can't get in Australia!!).

Will let you know how I go and hope the old gear will go back together! IF NOT I'M TRULY STUFFED!!

Look forward to any advice / feedback etc.

Cheers

JJ

I have been battling with this problem also!

Apparantly it is more common on the low mile / stored cars! Ironic huh!?

I've got a 98 GS300 with 42,000 KLMS.

Anyway, point is this, I just managed to source a complete set, used for AUD $1,100.00

Fitted it (the whole 5 peice unit less actual master cylinder) and it worked, removed the noise, warnings etc. - after proper bleeding.

Only problem!? Its leaking.... bigtime!!

SO!....... Have removed and got refund, am today putting all the original gear back and will re-bleed brakes. (I am unable to find another used set - except for a car thats hit in that guard so not risking it).

Once I've done this I have another solution, I believe it is not the ABS or the unit / master cylinder that needs replacing, but maybe only the accumulator. This may run out of Nitrogen over time and this is why its not building pressure and is working overtime - therefore causing the warnings & errors, but without loss of brakes.

You can buy this part serperately (the brass part to left of ABS setup) for AUD $700.00 brand new from Japan. (once again can't get in Australia!!).

Will let you know how I go and hope the old gear will go back together! IF NOT I'M TRULY STUFFED!!

Look forward to any advice / feedback etc.

Cheers

JJ

I too suffered with this problem, what I found before I had the whole unit replaced was that the warning noise comes from a unit just under the dash at its very easy to disconnect the annoying :tsktsk:

UPDATE

Very BAD news, have re-insatlled orginal, and it is now leaking.

Can't believe it.

I now have to find another unit and it is impossible here as they are not wrecking any GS300 in Australia.

Don't know what to do, car is now undriveable!!

I am going to start looking at Supra's etc to see if I can find a car with same ABS/Brake setup. I saw a Lexus 4X4 yesterday that was ALMOST identical!

Aaaaahhhhheee!!!!

• 1 month later...
To me it all seems a bit fishy, the ABS unit is not a critical part of the car, the car brakes function perfectly well without it. So why the constant high-pitched noise?, surely the warning lights are sufficient to let you know there is a problem. It is a problem that can be fixed in due time. These are luxury cars and the last thing they should be doing is to be driving them insane with that high-pitched noise. It was a few months before I managed to get this fixed, in the meantime, I still had to live with it and transport family and friends around along with long motorway journeys (2-3 hours) even loud music could not drown this noise.

It certainly is a critical part of the car. The vehicle uses a pump for servo assistance. The warning noise is telling you the pump has ran for too long without generating enough pressure. If the problem gets worse you will end up with no servo assistance, ABS or VSC.

i had one like that the other month and got the unit reconed it took them about a month to do it but its like new after and only cost about 300quid and i had to to the diagnose and that noise is very loud when you have your ear next to the ecu

Iv got the same problem.

I brought the car on Monday took it to a garage today to get a diagnostics check and it said the following errors:-

C1251 - Pump motor is locked open. Circuit in pump motor circuit

C1223 - Malfunction in ABS control system

Phone Lexus they wouldnt touch the car?? Phoned Toyota they had no idea what it was but will have a look.

The plug was disconnected from the unit and my brake pedal went solid/hard and that annoying loud pitched noise started! When plug was reconnected the pedal went to the floor and noise stopped.

The strange thing is I only noticed something was wrong when the noise started yesterday when I was driving I have no lights appearing on my dash?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links