Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

18" Sport Alloys - Out Of Shape

My IS200 has just been up on a ramp to have a tyre changed. The mechanic noticed that all 4 of the alloys have got a flat spot. Apparently this can be caused by going over a pot-hole/cattle-grid, etc at high speed. I don't recall ever doing this (I'm the only person to have driven the car). Lexus are now telling me I need to replace the alloys. I'm planning on challenging this, as I think they should last longer than 20k miles of normal use. Has anyone else ever experienced a similar problem?

Thanks.

I thought that was more for the 17" 5 spokes that suffer more with the corrosion problem :huh:

Result if that does apply tho, and I hope this isn't typical of those wheels :unsure: , didn't have any inclination to change mine for some time

I thought that was more for the 17" 5 spokes that suffer more with the corrosion problem :huh:

Result if that does apply tho, and I hope this isn't typical of those wheels :unsure: , didn't have any inclination to change mine for some time

Avoid cattle grids.......

Lexus will change them for you - tell us how you get on

Sadly I've had this problem as well, the 18"s don't seem to be particularly strong, coupled with the fact you have less rubber to protect them when you do hit something. I had mine replaced at a heavily discounted cost, but it's not cheap. (Didn't try to push for warranty, I'm not the most gentle of drivers and I had just come back from the LOC track day!) One trick would be to use your spare wheel's alloy, you only need a spare wheel for getting you home or to the garage, so a dented alloy won't be too bad for that.

Is this really a wide spread problem? as I thought more people would have noticed by now, they are a fairly common upgrade

I paid a bit extra as they were on the car, not much luckily, but I wouldn't have expected Lexus to be selling alloys made of cack alloy :duh:

Is this really a wide spread problem? as I thought more people would have noticed by now, they are a fairly common upgrade

I paid a bit extra as they were on the car, not much luckily, but I wouldn't have expected Lexus to be selling alloys made of cack alloy :duh:

I dont think its wide spread problem, as this is the 1st ive i know of this problem.

My IS200 has just been up on a ramp to have a tyre changed.  The mechanic noticed that all 4 of the alloys have got a flat spot.  Apparently this can be caused by going over a pot-hole/cattle-grid, etc at high speed.  I don't recall ever doing this (I'm the only person to have driven the car).  Lexus are now telling me I need to replace the alloys.  I'm planning on challenging this, as I think they should last longer than 20k miles of normal use.  Has anyone else ever experienced a similar problem?

Thanks.

Sad to say its all down to wheel "offset" the inner dish is without support and subject to the highest load in the event of an impact, the alloy via the tyre will "compress" and oval, i see this every day not on the lex but in general.

I dont think its wide spread problem, as this is the 1st ive i know of this problem.

I've just had my rear tyres changed and the guy mentioned this on one of the rears. I'm also getting small areas of corrosion appearing although the alloys were replaced under Lexus Warrenty last year. I'm still covered by dealer warrenty but I doubt I'll get much joy with Lexus Nottingham...

I'm still covered by dealer warrenty but I doubt I'll get much joy with Lexus Nottingham...

Take it to Leicester....

I assume it is only covered by the Nottingham dealer with its years purchase warrenty as it is no longer covered by the Lexus GB warrenty (It's an 02 plate that I bought last August).

I'm still covered by dealer warrenty but I doubt I'll get much joy with Lexus Nottingham...

Take it to Leicester....

I assume it is only covered by the Nottingham dealer with its years purchase warrenty as it is no longer covered by the Lexus GB warrenty (It's an 02 plate that I bought last August).

Not sure.

I personally would have thought the warrenty applies at any dealership - not just the one you bought it from.

Worth looking into Matt....

Take it to Leicester....

Not sure.

I personally would have thought the warrenty applies at any dealership - not just the one you bought it from.

Worth looking into Matt....

Good point, okay, will do...